R100GS SEAT REMOVAL HELP (KEY LOST)

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone please advise me on how to remove the seat without the key. Only had the one and it's a shame as it also fitted the working steering lock.
It's an 1990 reg.
Any ideas please so I don't bust something.

Can anyone please advise me on how to remove the seat without the key. Only had the one and it's a shame as it also fitted the working steering lock.
It's an 1990 reg.
Any ideas please so I don't bust something.

I think that the only way is probably for you to break the lock - hit a t bar or screwdriver in there and twist

The locking mechanism is on a metal bracket that is bolted to the sub frame - but I do not think that you can get at the 2 bolts, (maybe also have "allen" heads) - but have a look and see if you can - but even if you do you will still have to get the lock off the seat with no key??

depending on your set up

lock_1.jpg

lock_2.jpg

lock_3.jpg

Could you not drop the mudguard down to gain access to the lock bolts from underneath?

Garry

I've just been out to the garage to look at my 1995 GS, it looks like you may be able to undo the 4 bolts that hold the lock plate to the rear sub-frame. Mine has the nuts at the back and with a bit of patience you may be able to undo them and remove the seat and lock and start form there.

Barny

I would try to remove it rather than break it , have you seen how much they are :eek::eek:

Could be wrong but doesn’t the lock barrel have a number on it?
With the number you could prob order a new key from the dealer
I also seem to remember,someone saying they had a load of keys( may have been steptoe)
With the key number and a few beer vouchers,,,,,,

I bet if yer piss about with a bit of wire in the key slot it will pop open anyway, They only turn about a quarter when they work. Or pop into a handy locksmiths and he should have a sneaky device that measures which key yer need,
HTHY

I would try a little 3 in 1 in the lock and persist with the key that works in the steering lock. If that doesn’t work try bending a piece of thin steel and try moving the ‘bolt’ back by poking it down beside the spigot on the seat.

Pity your not nearer. 30 seconds and i'd have the seat off for you.

I've some how managed to get the lock button to ping out so it might have not been fully locked and can get the seat off and by using some old keys but it's not locking again so must have been lucky or something. It can stay like that for now and might at some point track down a locksmith to cut me a key but I doubt I'll bother.
Thanks for the advice.
G

Me old mate Jaber made a spring loaded peg that he bolted in place of the original lock = it worked off a bit of string. Better than the lock job
HTHY

Me old mate Jaber made a spring loaded peg that he bolted in place of the original lock = it worked off a bit of string. Better than the lock job
HTHY

Any pictures, my lock is knackered too.

Back
Top Bottom