Camping food

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know you can always get food from the shops on route but what standby foods do you take with you while camping . Dried or vacuum packed .

Just bought 30 of these... at £3.15 each with the discount code (HOT10) it's not worth getting saucepans dirty :thumb2

Have used them for almost ten years now and they really are great.... being vaccume packed they have a long shelf life too.

Yes,had some of those vacuum packed from millets very good .

I know you can always get food from the shops on route but what standby foods do you take with you while camping . Dried or vacuum packed .

In the recent Iceland trip I cooked some good local sausages, some bacon chopped to bite size, put into a vac bag with beans and a dollop of Brown sauce. Sealed and froze.

Carried in hand luggage, took a few days to de freeze and eat the last one 8 days later and it was. delicious !

The 28 day sirloin I binned the last of it after 8 days as I thought it had started to turn and I’d got fed up of the stuff.

I like the Wayfayrer meals. Simmer the sealed packet for 8 minutes and then use the water with half a pack of Knorr to make soup.

Eat the soup out of the saucepan and the Wayfayrer meal out of the packet. Only have to wash the soup saucepan and spoon to tidy up.

Porridge for breakfast. Half a cup of Mornflake oats with a full cup of water and some raisins.

We did ten days round Europe, took all the usual way fairer meals but by far the best option every time was Tesco tinned stuff. Everyday chicken or veg curry, Irish stew, beef stew, spaghetti bolognaise etc... chuck some boil in the bag rice or some dried mash in to the mix and bang tidy couldn’t fault it. Took Quaker Oats ready porridge for breakfast and only needed to purchase beer and milk. It’s a good idea to take a camel pack of water as you only need to fill it daily but will do all your cooking, cleaning and water stops during day. Only down side is tins are a little bulky but chuck em in top box and it’s quarter the price of freeze dried meals and as we found, not always near a shop or it’s sunday and nothing is open. After long day riding I just wanted to stick tent up and eat. I didn’t bring any tins home but 4 packs of freeze dried stuff which is still on shelf.

We take coffee and porridge for the morning.

Waitrose do a limited range of a product called Look what we found. Chilli con carne and Lamb Hotpot. Both quite tasty and around 2 quid each. Take up little room as in a pouch rather than a can. Used them on my trip to Spa this year.

For back up I usually carry a couple of pouches of "look what we found" ready meals and a couple of Mr Bens "2-minute" rice packs (just stir into the hot "look what we found meal" and wait for 2-3 minutes. Tasty than any other ready food I have ever tried, in fact better than you would get in the pub. Can be boiled in the pouch to save mess too.

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk Waitrose and other posh supermarkets plus some outdoor shops.

Haha no mate. Seriously I love my bean machine at home but its about 20kg lol. The instant stuff spoils the camping.

Haha no mate. Seriously I love my bean machine at home but its about 20kg lol. The instant stuff spoils the camping.

P1010836-L.jpg

Have you seen the individual Single cup coffee filters that fit a single cup?

I have them from Korea but I’m told you can get them here in the UK.

Have you seen the individual Single cup coffee filters that fit a single cup?

I have them from Korea but I’m told you can get them here in the UK.

I also took some to Iceland but you can buy them there as well, just don't go squeezing the bag as robustly as a tea bag unless you like a mouthful of coffee grouts ...... that's not a euphemism btw.

Back
Top Bottom