A bit of security advice sought from “the collective”...

Phill Elston

Rum Bosun
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
More & more concerned about the security of my machine. I recently fitted a Roadlock (which is great and took literally a couple of minutes to fit”) but I now find myself thinking that I need a quality chain & lock.

I know that there are “chains” and there are CHAINS - and probably a greater selection of locks.

It’s for a 2017 GS Adventure.

What’s your thoughts guys?

Depends what you want to use it for.

The huge 19 mm and 16 mm Pragmasis chains are really great in the garage (I’ve got a couple) but almost impossible to cart around.

Also if you were to chance leaving it parked in the street for any length of time (esp London) I’d suggest a decent (not OTT chain and a simple disc lock as well.

(EDIT I see that your in Lancs! :blast
Living in London you get to see the scooter thieves hanging around- black hand sprayed bike, no plate and balaclava under crash helmet. They are pretty outrageous and use battery powered disc cutters to defeat any chain, But I have seen a vid of them being put off by the number of anti theft devices one shouted “no it’s got three locks” I think that it’s the length of time it’ll take to free the bike that puts them off.

So, your ideal buy could be a half decent chain and a disc lock.

My choice is Roadlok stops them wheeling it away, + Abus 8008 disc lock with alarm, and anti pinch pin and lock to save your rear wheel, , at least you can put all that in a Toolbox or topcase, chains are to heavy. and you have then 3 useful locks.

I use and really like the Abus 8008 disc lock. One very good extra feature about it is you never try to drive off with it still installed as the alarm goes off as soon as you move the bike.

In complete agreement with the above re multi layered defence like three separate systems. I think a good quality cable is my next layer as they are lighter and easier to pack on the bike than a chain.

I use and really like the Abus 8008 disc lock. One very good extra feature about it is you never try to drive off with it still installed as the alarm goes off as soon as you move the bike.

In complete agreement with the above re multi layered defence like three separate systems. I think a good quality cable is my next layer as they are lighter and easier to pack on the bike than a chain.

Yep 8008 is a good bit of kit heavy duty 16mm pin, but you must get it on quick or it sounds the alarm, I believe it is 4 seconds............

Alarmed disc lock.
BMW factory alarm and immobilizer.
Steering lock.
If they still want it , they can have it.

(EDIT I see that your in Lancs! :blast
Living in London you get to see the scooter thieves hanging around- black hand sprayed bike, no plate and balaclava under crash helmet. They are pretty outrageous and use battery powered disc cutters to defeat any chain, But I have seen a vid of them being put off by the number of anti theft devices one shouted “no it’s got three locks” I think that it’s the length of time it’ll take to free the bike that puts them off.

Confused... I’m sitting in the French region of Aquitaine today. Nope - not Lancs so unslap yourself.
I want/need it for that little bit extra piece of mind when parking £20K’s worth of hardware on public streets

Ha ha
I scrolled back up to the post after yours.:blast Apols and enjoy your trip
:beerjug:

For London
I have roadlock, 8008 disk lock , Pragmasis chain, highest rated squire lock, pinch pin and their d lock as well as a cover for London. Pain in arse but three plus devices and they tend to go elsewhere. Plus tracker . Reckon spent a grand on anti theft but then bike is worth 20 times that

Don’t bother with BMW alarm as not recognised by insurance. It’s visible deterrence that works best. Sad but you are basically trying to persuade them to pick on an easier biker elsewhere
Mike

Confused... I’m sitting in the French region of Aquitaine today. Nope - not Lancs so unslap yourself.
I want/need it for that little bit extra piece of mind when parking £20K’s worth of hardware on public streets

I forgot a rainguard cover size L best security ever

Mine gets parked in Whitechapel, have used a Abus granite disc lock on all my bikes. But with this bike it’s the first time I opted for a chain in addition to that. It’s not a insurance requirement but more a bit of visual deterrent. Ended up with a Mammoth chain and lock which are thatcham approved and just long enough to pass through the rear wheel plus it fits nicely inside a Cycmarc tool box. If I didn’t have that to carry it around, I wouldn’t bother tbh as too much hassle.

After my last bike was nicked I upped the security all round (including the house) but also opted for a Tracker. Can't fault Biketrack as there have been a couple of times I have moved the bike to the drive without switching on the ignition and I get a call to ask if its me. I know its post event but if it gets the bike back and avoids a multi thousand pound 'fault' claim (plus hopefully puts some scrots in gaol) then its money well spent. BTW I agree Pragmasis do great kit - the 19mm is a beast.

For London
I have roadlock, 8008 disk lock , Pragmasis chain, highest rated squire lock, pinch pin and their d lock as well as a cover for London. Pain in arse but three plus devices and they tend to go elsewhere. Plus tracker . Reckon spent a grand on anti theft but then bike is worth 20 times that

Don’t bother with BMW alarm as not recognised by insurance. It’s visible deterrence that works best. Sad but you are basically trying to persuade them to pick on an easier biker elsewhere
Mike

I have an Oxford ground anchor and Abus chain - same for the past 12 years.

People worry too much.

That’s why you use a 16mm or 19mm chain, disc lock & ulock. All three are too much trouble for most scrots. Backed up with a tracker just in case.

I’ve invested in several Pragmasis chains and locks to give me a number of options. Only thing to have a chance of cutting them is an ange grinder. Then they have to defeat the Abus 8008 and an Abus u-lock. I also have a tracker fitted so odds must be in my favour.

That’s why you use a 16mm or 19mm chain, disc lock & ulock. All three are too much trouble for most scrots. Backed up with a tracker just in case.

I’ve invested in several Pragmasis chains and locks to give me a number of options. Only thing to have a chance of cutting them is an ange grinder. Then they have to defeat the Abus 8008 and an Abus u-lock. I also have a tracker fitted so odds must be in my favour.

Yep they will move on to easier targets.

Back
Top Bottom