A bit of security advice sought from “the collective”...

Well at least you enjoyed it, as they say the more you practice the more skills you learn.......:hippy

Exactly. :)

Feel like I've been to fight club for four days today though.....

Alarmed disc lock.
BMW factory alarm and immobilizer.
Steering lock.
If they still want it , they can have it.

I have the same + the alarmed disc lock attached by big chain to ground anchor but a few weeks ago someone came => cut out chunk of disc with battery powered angle grinder to remove the disc lock and took the bike. I don't bother with the steering lock as a quick wrench on the bars breaks it and fixing the frame damage cost £1700 when they tried a few years ago. Luckily, it has a tracker and recovered, unluckily they tried some DIY rewiring (?to disable for the tracker) using the same angle grinder and a wrecking bar => £4800.

I have the same + the alarmed disc lock attached by big chain to ground anchor but a few weeks ago someone came => cut out chunk of disc with battery powered angle grinder to remove the disc lock and took the bike. I don't bother with the steering lock as a quick wrench on the bars breaks it and fixing the frame damage cost £1700 when they tried a few years ago. Luckily, it has a tracker and recovered, unluckily they tried some DIY rewiring (?to disable for the tracker) using the same angle grinder and a wrecking bar => £4800.

Not good, but a roadlok is really a pain the arse for them, will not stop lifting into a van, but will certainly delay them wheeling it down the road.

I had a BikeTrac unit fitted to my GS, and I've generally been pretty pleased with it. I went for this over rivals as it includes the additional RF beacon signal which can apparently help in getting a more accurate final location during a recovery operation and make it more likely that a search warrant will be issued if required. I went for the three year subscription as it is a much better deal than paying monthly, even though you have to find the money upfront.

The only issue I've had is that after turning off the bike on my driveway and pushing it into the garage I have had some false alarms. It seems that what was happening is that the GPS signal was so weak and therefore inaccurate inside my garage that the location data became very inaccurate and the BikeTrac unit reported the bike as wandering around the neighbourhood, so I was regularly getting calls from the BikeTrac helpdesk - I guess at least that shows that the system works! They advised using the Geofence option to allow a little latitude, though I did have to increase this to about 100m square to eliminate the false alarms. I don't think this is a problem as if the bike was really being stolen I would get an alarm as soon as it moved out of the 100m Geofence square, and the movement alarm I have fitted would also go off as soon as the bike was disturbed.

I have several times forgotten to disable the monitoring while on ferries, but have not had false alarms as a result - it seems that the bike is so effectively shielded in the bowels of the ferry that it receives no GPS signal at all so does not know it is moving. As far as the system is concerned the bike is turned off in Portsmouth, and doesn't move at all until it suddenly emerges from the GPS blackout at Caen or Santander!

I also had a situation where it was sometimes missing chunks of journeys when I reviewed them on the BikeTrac website. I decided that was due to signal to the unit being partially blocked due to the location of a metal object I was carrying. Once that was relocated the problem went away and all journeys are now recorded in full detail.

I now use a roadlok when just parked up out of major cities etc.

For cities i fit an additional disklock on the other side of the front wheel.

I also fit a small disk lock on the back wheel, and if in a dodgy area a bike cover.

If they get past all that then they really want it.

I use to carry a chain but dont bother now as far to heavy and to much hassle

This is some scary stuff!! Even living in South Africa, we never had to take such precautions! Reading all these posts, going to be too scared to take the bikes out of the garage!!

Stand up, look up, and open up!

Search YouTube for “Lock Picking Lawyer” then make your own mind up about padlocks! I know the scumbags are generally lacking in certain departments but there are some interesting videos on various padlocks ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive, price doesn’t always guarantee best security. The dearest ones may withstand a greater amount of brute force but are just as easy to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never taken any precautions other than the steering lock on any bike.

But I do make sure I have assured value insurance.

If they want it badly enough, then they will get it and I don't see that any more security devices will make a difference. Worst case, 4 blokes, 2 scaffold poles a pickup truck and any bike not anchored to the ground is going on an adventure.

At home (and I do live in the middle of nowhere), the bikes live in a locked garage with security lighting and alarm.

Out and about, if they want it, they can have it. I'll get a new one. As long as I have a credit card, I can get home and claim any costs back.

Back
Top Bottom