modification to existing seat.. anyone done it?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
after a bit of distance, the bones in my backside are making me a bit sore.. just where they hit the seat... I'm not sure if the seat is too hard or too soft?.. I'm thinking too soft.
I don't want to change the seat other than take the top off and alter the foam.. any thoughts on the way to go... anyone done it??

Have a ride over to Tony Archer, he's done some great work for me in the past.

Whatever you do, don't tell him there's no rush though, you'll never see it again.

I had the same issue after about an hour.
I bought one of those beanbag things for the seat, didn’t work that well. I’ve now emptied the contents and put in a square of memory foam, managed 1h 50 in one hit before I felt the need to get off for 5 mins. Best I’ve found for me so far.

There is a firm at South Shields, South Tyneside which has a very good reputation - I know people who have had seats altered and been most satisfied with the workmanship and increased comfort - if you're prepared to travel that far. Someone else may post the name before I can find it ...

I too have had Tony Archer modify and fit a gel pad in a r1200gs seat. He did a great job and it was comfortable and well worth the money. On the other hand, I removed the seat cover, “sculpted” (read butchered) the foam and fitted a gel pad on a triumph Thruxton seat.
The result was not good.
It resembled a relief map of a sumo wrestlers arse. :eek:
It’s harder to do than it looks - get it done professionally.
Alan R

Have you tried the seat with the front on the high setting and rear on the low?

Seams to flatten it out slightly and take any pressure away from the lower back. Worth trying before opting for other big changes, its free for starters :beerjug:

Have you tried the seat with the front on the high setting and rear on the low?

Seams to flatten it out slightly and take any pressure away from the lower back. Worth trying before opting for other big changes, its free for starters :beerjug:

+1 sorted my arse out, and saved my goolies.

Yes.. seat is hi/lo and that makes it better for sure. I've started doing a bit of running so think that's coming into play as sitting generally can hurt after a while.
I know Tony Archer as he did a great job on my Bandit seat.,.. but I need something soon as we go to France in a few weeks. Strange thing is, sometimes it's worst than others? It's better if I wear cotton boxers without any seams.. and I've also tried cycle shorts, that worked before, but hurt like hell Monday night??
Don't think the cycle shorts have the pads far enough apart TBH... They are more central.

So do you know what Tony did to the seat.. did he make it harder?

And were these LC seats? As talking to him a bit back, he said he'd not done many LC's as they tended to be better. Just the previous models?

If you are getting hot and sweaty causing the various under garments to stick and make you sit awkwardly it may not help. Unfortunately everyone is different for a comfort perspective. I used my old sheepskin seat cover on the way to Scotland a few weeks ago in the hot weather and that made a difference as it seemed to reduce the sweating etc

I also removed my up and back bar risers and fitted a set of grip puppies. All made a difference to a give a far more relaxed ride on the LC.

Ok.. no risers.. was thinking they may help but maybe not... May have something to do with sweating as Monday it was hot and had boxers, cycle pants and Kevlar jeans on...
Wonder if you can get motorcycle riding shorts?
May get some better cotton undies... My Mrs got rid of my old ones... Thinking about it, I may have been better with them??

I had my GSA LC seat done by Tony Archer also. He cut a section out of the top of the seat and fitted a gel pad into it. Maybe it’s just me but I have not found the modified seat to any more comfortable, so for me it proved a waste of money

May get some better cotton undies... My Mrs got rid of my old ones... Thinking about it, I may have been better with them??

My go to underwear on the bike is a couple of pairs of fitted Azzuri sports type that keep yer nuts in place kind of in front rather than underneath if you follow. Material is manmade whatever but very comfy. I make sure I am "adjusted" before setting off. Worth a try.

Ok.. no risers.. was thinking they may help but maybe not... May have something to do with sweating as Monday it was hot and had boxers, cycle pants and Kevlar jeans on...
Wonder if you can get motorcycle riding shorts?

Cotton undies actually hold the sweat and well that makes a nice red area, I got these in Germany, bloody awesome, no seams and lovely padding, and just for info they are not transparent, and you do not wear undies under them, I got XXL which is very comfy for a 40 inch waist.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0031ESCSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look ok.. will try find the English site for them ��.
Yes.. have taken the gel bit out of my HD seat.. not good at all... Good foam is better IMO...
Motorcycle Seatworks.. also a good place... May go see him at weekend

:beerjug: will give a few clothing bits a go then before chopping the seat... May look for a second hand one to play with...
Never had this issue with any other bike tho?

If you’re using padded shorts then don’t wear anything underneath them!
The chamois is designed to be next to skin.
Skidz do a mc specific short in race/adv/cruiser config as pressure points are different

Back
Top Bottom