extended warranty advice please

So its quite acceptable for engine failure at 16k miles if you have a warranty?

I wish Kia made motorcycles they have such faith in their cars they offer a 7 year warranty.

BMW could offer 5 years with a stipulation it is serviced in the franchise dealers. They wont because the products they produce are sub standard and are not designed to last like a lot of other manufacturers. While there are muppets with wads of cash who can blame BMW and the other manufacturers.

Some guys need to lay off the drugs and get real !
Of course a 5 year/100 000 mile warranty would be great but in the end you would pay for it anyways because the manufacturers need to make money to stay in business.Of course it would be great not to have crappy parts made in china on quality/premium/pricey products !
If BMW's are "sub-standard" who makes these great quality motorcycles ?
It can't be Triumph made in Thailand with engines that drink oel like 2-strokes used to.
Or Harleys with faulty brakes or chrome that comes from Taiwan that rusts after the first wash.
Or Honda with metal so soft that the screws are round after your spanner slips the first time.
Or KTM or Ducati that have all kinds of electrical or mechanical issues.
No it must be those Chinese start up motorcycles and scooters that set the standard...:D
Nothing is perfect but if I wanted to be like Charlie Boreman and circle the world I would do it on a BMW R 9 T G/S which is probably the best quality and most reliable motorcycle currently on sale...:thumb2
I say Urban and not GS because of watercooling and electronic throttle bodies the other one does not have and therefore can't cause problems.
Save the extended warranty because they offer those to make money on it !
Unless you really ride more than 30000 a year and maybe need to replace the driveshaft at 100K miles you never recover the warranty cost !

Unless you really ride more than 30000 a year and maybe need to replace the driveshaft at 100K miles you never recover the warranty cost !

I have a Hexhead 2008 bike with almost 60,000 miles. Seeing as the warranty now covers wear and tear items in the last year I have had new gearbox, clutch, final drive rebuild and driveshaft for my annual warranty cost (around £450). If it wasn't for the warranty I couldn't afford to keep the bike !

buncobooth;like I said if you ride a lot of miles or if you belong to the few who have bad luck the warranty works.
But otherwise tha warranty is not worse it because the insurance companies would not offer extended warranties if they would not make lots of money off them !
Otherwise buy a new bike every 3 years if you need this peace of mind.
But like extended warranties it comes at a cost...

Hi WESSIE.. look into that! spoke to a dealer today and yes your correct you can buy a bmw warranty up to 80,000 miles.. but they qoute you on age of bike and miles so of course the older your bike and the more miles you have more expensive it is,, also when you buy the policy I'm told there is a month before you can claim.. guess they don't trust us b.m.w riders :eyebrow

thanks for all the replies.

I think insurance is a necessary evil.. the problem is SOD'S LAW if you don't get it the chances are something will go wrong then and it often dose is my case:mad: was going to change my GS next year for a adventure model so was only planning on extending warranty for 12 months, phoned dealer today to book my GS in next month for pre warranty check over and got talking to a salesman and he tells me all bikes reg on or after the 1st september 2018 now have 3 year warranty. so explained was getting warranty but will p/x next year he said he as some great deals the 2018 GS at moment so aked him to value my 2016 GSLCTE model.. he knows me well, bought a few of him in past so he knew my GS was immaculate he gave a excellent p/x value £1,500 more than he offered last year :thumb2 of a new adventure model decided to p/x this year instead of next year :bounce1 ..

So here is the good news. with it being a adventure model there are quite a few excessories that won't swap over of my GS to adventure GS so what dose'nt fit will ebay, but will offer on forum first. things I know defo won't fit are the smoke wounderlich winglets same really the adventure ones are no where near as well made

so here are soom excessories I know won't swap over..

wunderlich smoke winglets.. like new.. shame really theses won't swap over, the adventure o.e.m winglets are no where as well made as wunderlich winglets and don't look as good either!

wunderlich GSLS clock face binical surround acts as sunblind.. works well!

2 short arm wounderlich indicator protectors.. like new.. will keep the front 2 as the adventure rear are the long arm ones which I will be ordering from nippy normans
full vario hard luagge.. includes top case and 2 panniers all expandable.. will leave unlocked so you can code your ignition key to them. never used panniers and used top box 2x 1 week euro trips so in immaculate condition.

genuine top case inner bag also expandable.

2 x tourotec upper crash bars infill bags waterproof.. very handy for carrying toolkit/punturekit/waterproofs/ e.t.c

wounderlich under rear rack bag.. fits inbetween rear light and rear rack handy for storing smaller items/ disc lock/punture repair kit.. things like that!

I think all y other excessories have got should swap on to the adventure but if not will give you guys first option.

if you are interested in what have listed as defo no fit.. best to text or call me on 07940331383 do work away lot so don't always have interenet excess. obvisously the cases will be expensive to post so best to collect in person or "pending distance" may meet you somewhere half way for price of fuel.

CONTACT .... 07940331383 if your text me your email with what your interested in will fire some pics of to you!

Nothing to stop you keeping the panniers on the GSA, just need to change the rear footrest, plenty for sale on Ebay, and if you wanted to keep the topcase, just change the grabrail for a GS LC one, they all fit the same, I just done it the opposite way round.

can't seem to had this accessorie as edit!!
Not sure if my genuine HP akrapovic titianium of my 2016 r1200 gs lc te model will fit the new euro 2018 emissions GS adventure so trying to find out if it's compatible with the 2018 euro emmisions the dealer was not sure!! if interested in the akrapovic let me know as soon as I know it's not compatible will be selling. this cost me £799.00 in march 2018 from b.m.w dealer and as only done a 3,000 mile euro trip and is in immaculate unmarked condition comes with all fittings and carbon heat sheild and original box/instructions/warrany e.t.c contact number on previous post.

Your Akrapovic will be fine, it is Euro 3 and makes very little difference.

Warranties all part of today's fear culture! Is the bike going to completely fall apart a day after it expires?? i seriously doubt it, I'd also expect prior to any euro tour you will pay significant cost to have the bike serviced then pay £396 a year for a warranty on top. on a bike that cost north of £15,000 you certainly know how to burn money.

If you took a step towards learning how to do basic service of your own bike i.e oil, filter, plugs & brake pads ( quite simple stuff) it would give you some confidence in your ability to look after your bike and confidence in your machine.
I dare say that doesn't repair say a gearbox or clutch failure. but should that happen while away your bike will probably need to be repatriated and your bike insurance should cover repatriation.

I remember going through the same concerns when my warranty ran out about six years ago fortunately i decided i couldn't afford the warranty renewal and took my chances.
I do all the work on my bike and it gets a regular service every 6000 miles (that doesn't cost me £420 a pop). So far has taken me on countless (totalling 35000 miles) euro tours it has never let me down.
As for BMW warranty i have never considered one since.

Have i just been lucky i don't think so R1200GS are extremely good bikes you may hear the odd horror story like you might with any vehicle but chances it will be you are unlikely, so long as you look after your bike.

As in the opening post "now on 9,200 miles and my GS as not missed a single beat"

Nothing to stop you keeping the panniers on the GSA, just need to change the rear footrest, plenty for sale on Ebay, and if you wanted to keep the topcase, just change the grabrail for a GS LC one, they all fit the same, I just done it the opposite way round.
that's a good point never thought off that.. will look into that:thumb2

also good news on the akrapovic being suitable;)

looks like the wunderlich airduck vent gaurds won't fit or will be required as adventure already as grill gaurds. so theses are for sale as well. contact number in this tread previous post listing accessories.

. so theses are for sale as well. contact number in this tread previous post listing accessories.

I can't understand why you have turned your thread into a sales pitch !

If you want to sell your wares why not Pay your Subs and sell your items the proper way like the rest of us, even @ £12 it's far cheaper than evil bay.

I can't understand why you have turned your thread into a sales pitch !

If you want to sell your wares why not Pay your Subs and sell your items the proper way like the rest of us, even @ £12 it's far cheaper than evil bay.

I have a feeling this thread may get edited now :augie:D

LET'S HOPE SO!! HEY!!! Sales pitch.... have a day off!! did not know about the requirement to pay £12.00 to sell. will look into that and if that's the rules then ok fair enough.

Once you subscribe beema, I will be able to PM you and let you know how to swap your stuff to your new bike, it will be the best 12 quid you have ever spent........:D

Sorry to open an old thread but I am never drinking malt Whisky again whilst working on the computer. Insurance is there to make money. Each person peace of mind is different. Woke up this morning to realise I had parted with the full £455 ( no excess) for the warranty in one hit. Mrs. Fat Biker will kill me. Have to say if Subframe, swingarm, and 3 OEM spot replacements happened tomorrow I think it would have cost more than £455.

Back
Top Bottom