extended warranty advice please

kwackless

Reaction score
When advice is wanted over all things relating to the GS best to ask are the guys you ride them. my R1200 GS LC TE is coming up to 2 years old now and already had the letter asking if I would like to take the extended b.m.w warranty out. it's not cheap but neither are repair bills at dealers. now have done 2 europe trips on my GS and now on 9,200 miles and my GS as not missed a single beat, having said that I've heard of a few expensive breakdowns on the GSLC such as the rear shock,shaftdrive e.t.c have tried to reserched how many GS's have had theses expensive faulty units and to be honest can only find a few which have been on forums, have asked a 3 different b.m.w dealers and only one said they had replaced the rear shock otherwise the GSLC as been worry free.. but saying that are the dealers going to be honest.. should think they don't want to put anyone off buying GS. don't want to upgrade my GS it's still looks as good and rides as good as new so planning on keeping my GS for a few more years and was thinking of buying the extended warranty but if problems do happen are they more likley in the 3rd/4th and on years with higher mileage? or not at all? after all theses GS seem to do very high mileage? so my question is .... how many GSLC owners on here have had such expensive repair bills and how many have decided to take the extended warranty out for piece of mind. for example I understand if the rear shock needs replacing it is £800 excluding fitting that seems well over the top to me.. but can't confirm that price it's only what I've heard.

JUST TO RECAP.. How many have extended their warranty.. and more importantly how many have had expensive issues with the GSLC. have also heard the 2016 model gslc b.m.w have ironed out some teething problems.. such as corrosion/shaftproblems/rear shock problems/oil leaks.. but there again can't confirm how true this is as have only heard this through other GS owners have met along the way.

I’ve been paying for the extended warranty for the last two years and like you say not cheap and to date I’ve not used it.
I visit Europe once a year along with regular trips around the uk and sort of offset the cost of European breakdown cover against the price to justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep understand your logic there.. was thinking of buying the full brakdown with onward travel/dealer of your choice and replacement bike if required and full extensive warranty without excess that works out at £42.00 per month.. question is... is it worth the money? suppose it's typical insurance waste of money unless you need it! suppose I was trying to find out if these so called problems on the GSLC are just the odd few or more wide spread. after all there is so many of the gslc out there it's law of average the odd one may have serious issues.

I wouldn't entertain owning a BMW without the extended warranty ... anything mechanical can break at any time and if you are miles away in Europe somewhere then you is foooked. Take a deep breath and just pay it.:bounce1

BMW = Buy More Warranty.

Like you say, just look at the parts prices. With full Euro cover, a no brainer IMHO.

My mate had a 13 plate ex demo , he took the extended out and moaned at me saying .., more money each month . Now he has just had his engine changed, along with all the bits , almost a 9000 bill , as he said 2 years in and the cost of the insurance is nothing .
Happy days for him as at one point he was fooked .
Sorry to add he had done 16000 approx

Thanks for all the replies guys... like most of you say it's typical insurance only worth the money if you need it. think considering I plan on keeping my GSLS a few more years at least and for peace of mind I will take the extended warranty out with full euro breakdown. not cheap but neither are the repairs.. P.S one member was not sure if the rear shock and shaft was covered under the extended warranty.. well I can confirm both the shock and shaft are covered up to 30,000 miles. and general wear and tear and other items/elec/a.b.s/gearbox/engine/casings are included so it dose seem like a very extensive b.m.w warranty on offer. I also understand that alot of owners are finding the shaft drive are short of grease "even dry as a bone" well if that fails the warranty can replace it. saves me from worrying about things like that.

Thanks for all the replies guys... like most of you say it's typical insurance only worth the money if you need it. think considering I plan on keeping my GSLS a few more years at least and for peace of mind I will take the extended warranty out with full euro breakdown. not cheap but neither are the repairs.. P.S one member was not sure if the rear shock and shaft was covered under the extended warranty.. well I can confirm both the shock and shaft are covered up to 30,000 miles. and general wear and tear and other items/elec/a.b.s/gearbox/engine/casings are included so it dose seem like a very extensive b.m.w warranty on offer. I also understand that alot of owners are finding the shaft drive are short of grease "even dry as a bone" well if that fails the warranty can replace it. saves me from worrying about things like that.

How much is it ?

TYZER..... How much is it ?... there is a few options. if you want the full euro breakdown with onward travel/choice of dealer/loan bike/hotel while yours is being repaired and warranty it works out at £42.00 per month which gives you the opportunity to cancel at any time free of charge. yes it[s not cheap.. but top breakdown cover is not cheap either which is included.. neither are the bills for example, have heard of a few rear shocks failing and at £800 new price plus £90 per hour labour charge also the shaft drive not cheap either. take a chance and not bother and you could be in pocket or well out of pocket if there is a major fault the decision is all yours! what annoyed me is.. you can only take the b.m.w warranty out before the bike o.e.m warranty ends before 2 years b.m.w most likely know the chance of a major fault before 3 or 4 years old is slim so you could say they could a grand from you before they may need to pay out.. of course the repair may be alot more.. also breakdowns can happen at any aged and mileage so where back to take the chance or not.

I took my warrantee out just after the 2 years and currently pay around £37 ish per month ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TYZER..... How much is it ?... there is a few options. if you want the full euro breakdown with onward travel/choice of dealer/loan bike/hotel while yours is being repaired and warranty it works out at £42.00 per month which gives you the opportunity to cancel at any time free of charge. yes it[s not cheap.. but top breakdown cover is not cheap either which is included.. neither are the bills for example, have heard of a few rear shocks failing and at £800 new price plus £90 per hour labour charge also the shaft drive not cheap either. take a chance and not bother and you could be in pocket or well out of pocket if there is a major fault the decision is all yours! what annoyed me is.. you can only take the b.m.w warranty out before the bike o.e.m warranty ends before 2 years b.m.w most likely know the chance of a major fault before 3 or 4 years old is slim so you could say they could a grand from you before they may need to pay out.. of course the repair may be alot more.. also breakdowns can happen at any aged and mileage so where back to take the chance or not.

Thanks for the info,mine will be 2 years old in March 19

When mine is up, I will take extended just for the peace of mind, it is like most insurance, useless until something happens, then you wish you had it, my old saying is save a penny now, pay a pound later.

I have a 2014 GSA which is still covered until November under a BMW warranty as I bought it used from a dealer. 2 months ago I had a new rear shock fitted. I have never gone for extended warranties before but I will be tempted when mine runs out.

you can only take the b.m.w warranty out before the bike o.e.m warranty ends before 2 years b.m.w most likely know the chance of a major fault before 3 or 4 years old is slim so you could say they could a grand from you before they may need to pay out.. of course the repair may be alot more.. also breakdowns can happen at any aged and mileage so where back to take the chance or not.

not the case, I have just bought a 2016 XR that was 2 years old in May - I can buy a warranty from https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Product/Index from £33 a month

Do you not just trade them in before the warranty expires?:rolleyes::jes

My mate had a 13 plate ex demo , he took the extended out and moaned at me saying .., more money each month . Now he has just had his engine changed, along with all the bits , almost a 9000 bill , as he said 2 years in and the cost of the insurance is nothing .
Happy days for him as at one point he was fooked .
Sorry to add he had done 16000 approx

Great bikes :thumb:D

Extended warranties are great...for the people offering them because if they would not make lots of money from them they would not offer them !

Back
Top Bottom