Fuelliing and shift assist improvements

andylel

Reaction score
Hi all

If you are having issues with inconsistent / clunky shift assist or low speed fuelling issues this might be worth you reading.

Whilst browsing another thread recently I came across what I assume to be an ECU reset procedure. For no other reason than idle curiosity I thought I’d give it a go. This is the bit of the process I did:

•Step 1: Hold the throttle to the 100% wide open position and do not let go.
•Step 2: With the throttle still held fully open, turn on the ignition (but don’t start the engine) and allow for all checks to complete.
•Step 3: Turn off the ignition.
•Step 4: Close the throttle.
•Step 5: With the throttle fully closed, turn on the ignition (but don’t start the engine) and allow for all checks to complete.
•Step 6: Turn off the ignition.
•Step 7: Without touching the throttle start the engine and allow it to idle for a minimum of 3 minutes.

I did this two days ago and have made two trips in and out of London since and can report the following:

The throttle transition roughness at ‘town’ speeds which was minimal on my bike anyway has all but disappeared completely and feels even better than it was.

The quick shifter which I have always had inconsistent results with has been transformed. Low gear changes are now consistently better particularly on down changes in the lower gears but noticeably better / smoother across the spectrum.

I can only assume this procedure has reset the throttle position sensors or some such thing but it really has made a difference and given it’s quick, free and risk free it might be worth a go for others.

Happy tinkering!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP would you be so kind to share your age and mileage of bike and whether its ADV or not?

OP would you be so kind to share your age and mileage of bike and whether its ADV or not?

Let’s just say I am past my teenage rebel phase and well into my adult rebel phase :)

The bike on the other hand is a spritely two years old. A 66 plate Euro 4 Adventure with 15k on the clock.

Done it on mine before going out this morn. Does feel smoother throttle at low speed, but don’t notice any difference in GSAP. But then mine has been ok anyway. (2016 GS).

Done it on mine before going out this morn. Does feel smoother throttle at low speed, but don’t notice any difference in GSAP. But then mine has been ok anyway. (2016 GS).

Similar experience here. Real or imagined, I'm happy.

I wonder what is actually happening and is this what a BMW technician would do when a customer complained of less than smooth running?

Does it need re-doing every now and again?

There is something to the OP’s observation. Most bikes won’t need to perform the reset ever. But something might have happen or may still be wrong that caused the bike to form bad long term fueling trims. It’s also possible that something caused one or both O2 sensors to cause an error code, effectively causing any further long term trim adjustments to cease.

Resetting the BMSX might then have (temporarily) resulted in better balance. If it happens again the OP should see what errors are in memory.

Although gearshift pro works great on my 2017, when I added the AF-XIEDs to it I noticed a significant shifting improvement in the low gears under light acceleration. So the OP could have had the mixture get leaner or imbalanced causing a degradation of gearshift pro performance.

Did mine this morning followed by a 120 mile ride, definitely better but still not as good as some of the water cooled models I have ridden

Worth doing though IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad others are seeing some of the same results here. I posted this originally as I was confident I had not imagined what the results were. I did not 'want' the outcome as such, I just observed it so was pretty sure there was no placebo effect.

Whether things might degrade overtime is an interesting question and I will be monitoring it although it's difficult to keep track when things happen slowly of course. If things do get worse and I can repeat the improvement then I imagine it might be something to do with 'adaptions'. Now, I don't pretend to know about most of 'how' these things work but I am told that the ECU learns ones style of riding in relation to throttle use. Mine must have an awful time of trying as my average commute (which forms a lot of my riding) involves a 40 mile mixture of fast motorway, town bimbling / filtering and on fun days, fast seeping a roads on the way home where my 'style' is very different. How my bike copes with all that and tries to 'learn' anything is beyond me and I assert this 'may' be a contributory factor to any degradation in throttle performance over time.

Watch this space.

I'm glad others are seeing some of the same results here. I posted this originally as I was confident I had not imagined what the results were. I did not 'want' the outcome as such, I just observed it so was pretty sure there was no placebo effect.

Whether things might degrade overtime is an interesting question and I will be monitoring it although it's difficult to keep track when things happen slowly of course. If things do get worse and I can repeat the improvement then I imagine it might be something to do with 'adaptions'. Now, I don't pretend to know about most of 'how' these things work but I am told that the ECU learns ones style of riding in relation to throttle use. Mine must have an awful time of trying as my average commute (which forms a lot of my riding) involves a 40 mile mixture of fast motorway, town bimbling / filtering and on fun days, fast seeping a roads on the way home where my 'style' is very different. How my bike copes with all that and tries to 'learn' anything is beyond me and I assert this 'may' be a contributory factor to any degradation in throttle performance over time.

Watch this space.

Finally got round to remembering to try this today. I'd need to give it an extended test but in testing on a quiet country lane but didn't detect the usual hunting in first or second around 20 mph. (2017 GS).

Finally got round to remembering to try this today. I'd need to give it an extended test but in testing on a quiet country lane but didn't detect the usual hunting in first or second around 20 mph. (2017 GS).

That’s good. It does seem to do something and I’ve done a few more commute trips and it hasn’t deteriorated yet.

Thank you for posting this. I always thought my 2018 Rallye was a lot less smooth than the demo which I tried initially. I wouldn’t say there’s a huge difference, but I’m sure there is a difference, and it certainly seems smoother at the low revs pottering through town type stuff. I had also stopped using the GSAP for anything lower than 3rd as it was so clunky, but I have gone through the box fully a few times now and I’m convinced that’s better.

If it is a placebo, it’s a good one :bow!

Im off to Sicily friday. Ill do this when i start up to go. Cant do any harm........

Done mine on Monday then went on a 400km ride bike seemed the same, however I did not feel my bike had any problems before, at least if something happens later I now know what to do. :thumb:thumb

Any further feedback re this? I'm still convinced I can detect an appreciable improvement, particularly in shifting

Back
Top Bottom