Recommend me a campsite in the New Forest

lagauk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After reading Mr Bears interesting post (The-Bear-is-pitched) and folks responses I quite fancy a walk in the woods.

Taking on board that it can get busy would appreciate any recommendations for campsites in the New Forest. We can mitigate the crowds somewhat by making said visit mid September after the schools have opened and the kids are back in school.

We don't need the acreage that Mr Bears grand pavilion requires as it will be just me and a couple of mates in our small tents so small and wooded would be perfect rather than large open spaced fields.

Cheers

Lag

Campsites are split between privately opened ones, and the National Trust sites which you will find here:

Www.campingintheforest.co.uk

If you want woods, avoid Holmsley (it's a pretty open ex airfield although ever here there are wooded portions) then it's just a choice of how busy you want it. Hollands Wood is a short walk from Brockenhurst with its shops, pubs and restaurants but it's busy, Roundhill is quieter but has nothing within walking distance and others like Ashurst have one pub and one shop.

If you phone the people at Camping in the Forest they are always really helpful, they can advise you, they can see availability across all their sites and book you in there and then.

In general, I've always found them to be great sites and well kept.

Oh, expect morning visits from the ponies! :D

If you want yo be near the sea as well then Lepe Beach Campsite is worth a look.

My mum lives in Beaulieu so we visit the area, and this beach, quite regularly. The whole area does get very busy in the holidays but with a bit of planning you can find the less frequented spots in the Forest to have walks, cycle rides, picnics etc.

Keep us all informed as we could have a little bike meet up you have sammie millers (new milton) Beaulieu Southampton bike night manic Monday's ect

They use to hire out those electric Twizy things from Brockenhurst village.

Thanks all much appreciated.

I'll read up on the ones recommended and make a decision.

Cheers

Keep us all informed as we could have a little bike meet up you have sammie millers (new milton) Beaulieu Southampton bike night manic Monday's ect

Looks like Ashurst is the lucky place chosen...for the Saturday at least. Just two of us for the three days this Saturday to Monday and going back on Tuesday.

General riding around seeing the sites with a visit to the Motor Museum at Beaulieu being a must.

Would be good to meet up at some point.

Back
Top Bottom