Alternator belt

crazycopo

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell me the correct belt for my 2004.
I fitted a 4pk 595 in April and it has shredded.
Got the info from real Oem parts on motor works site, there is also a smaller belt.
What happens if a belt that is too big or too small is fitted.
T I A

Couldn’t see what was written on the old one, all worn off.
The one I put on in April was a 595.
Maybe I just got a duff belt.

Any chance you damaged the belt fitting it? I had a small nick in the edge of mine and it shredded shortly afterwards.

I believe 592 is the original fitting but it is such a pig to fit that the some places sell the 595 belt (I think that is the length in millimetres)

Having tied myself in knots over which belt to buy for my 1200ST, I mailed Continental to ask which was correct. This is the reply I got -

"The Elast designation on a Contitech belt is to show that it has elastic cord members in the belt, this allows the belt to be fitted by stretching into place without any tensioning device or moveable pulleys. Not all manufacturers, especially OE, clearly show on the belt label if the belt is elastic and this can cause confusion. This is especially important as Traditional and Elast belts cannot be interchanged.

To add to the confusion some manufacturers use the production length as the part number and others use the fitted (stretched) length. Because of this it is important to use the cataloguing system to identify the correct belt and not to use the numbers from the old belt.

The Contitech belt will show for information both production and fitted lengths so the belt that you have will be:

4 [number of ribs] PK [rib profile designation] 592 [fitted length] (582) [production length] ELAST [elastic belt brand name]

I have been told previously by our product managers that BMW always gives the production length for elastic belts while we always give the fitted length as our primary number.

The BMW belt 4PK592 equals our 4PK611 (592) ELAST. Production length in brackets.
The BMW belt 4PK582 equals our 4PK592 (582) ELAST. Production length in brackets

Please also note that in many cases a special tool is required to install the Elast belt correctly without damaging the belt or pulleys.

I hope this helps you to identify the correct belt for your bike."

So, it depends where you buy it as to how its labelled.

Pete

Buy a belt from BMW, or one that's BMW branded, and it'll have 4PK592 on it. Buy a belt from elsewhere, branded as a Contitech, and it'll have 4PK611 (592) ELAST on it, but its the same belt. Simples. :thumb2

Pete

Any chance you damaged the belt fitting it? I had a small nick in the edge of mine and it shredded shortly afterwards.

I believe 592 is the original fitting but it is such a pig to fit that the some places sell the 595 belt (I think that is the length in millimetres)

I guess it was possible without noticing, makes sense really.
Think I’ll go with 595 again.
Thanks.

If you have a poke around on Youtube, there are a few vids of belt replacement.

One short clip shows a belt being stretched over the crank pulley rather crudely - the feedback/comments then point out the need for the shorter 592 belt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPTPN98x40

Another, with subtitles, is pretty dreadful, but shows the guide tool intended to avoid belt/pulley damage, which could be easily replicated, if the possibilty of damaging the belt concerns you. Sadly used in a rather ham fisted manner so doesn't show the completed job. However, there seems to be a crafty alternative shown here ...... https://www.r1200gs.info/howto/alt-belt.html but there remains the prospect of belt damage if it doesn't slip on easily.

Buy a belt from BMW, or one that's BMW branded, and it'll have 4PK592 on it. Buy a belt from elsewhere, branded as a Contitech, and it'll have 4PK611 (592) ELAST on it, but its the same belt. Simples. :thumb2

Pete

Cheers, don’t really get how there can be a 19mm difference between the original and replacement

I found the tip about using a piece of a plastic milk carton worked really well for me.

Basically just cut a short strip out of an empty thin plastic milk carton, about 5” x 1” and place the belt fully over the top pulley. Then with the piece of milk carton placed around the bottom pulley to prevent any damage to the belt, wind the belt onto the bottom pulley using the nut on the pulley itself. Once the belt is in place continue to turn the engine over to remove the piece of plastic from underneath the belt on the bottom pulley.

Hope this is of some use.

Often wondered why BMW and Continental had a 10 mm different length printed on the the same length belt, this explains it.

The BMW belt 4PK592 equals our 4PK611 (592) ELAST. Production length in brackets.
The BMW belt 4PK582 equals our 4PK592 (582) ELAST. Production length in brackets

Please also note that in many cases a special tool is required to install the Elast belt correctly without damaging the belt or pulleys.

I hope this helps you to identify the correct belt for your bike."[/I]

So, it depends where you buy it as to how its labelled.

Pete

Continental forgot to mention that they also supply a 4 ribbed 611 non stretch belt in identical packaging that fits the pre-2003 bikes and non servo braked 1150 GS's.

Which is also better to fit to the 1150 models that should have the elasticated belts, as the alternator is adjustable and sits higher with it fitted, which means on the adv tank models the fuel link pipe can be pulled out easier as the Q/D doesn't get trapped under the alternator.

Back
Top Bottom