off to France in a couple of weeks... do our bikes have headlight for LHS driving?

I'm still a little unsure about the acceptability of DRL versus dipped headlight in France as I have read you should only use the latter. I didn't bother changing this when I was in France lately. The bike does automatic switching between DRL and dipped headlight, and switches DRL off and headlight on whenever reduced light is detected either at night or in a tunnel, which I would have thought is enough to keep you legal, though the auto switching can turned off if you want to manually select which light to have on. I would rather leave it in auto.

French bikes had headlights that were permanently on (no off switch) from about the early 2000’s

All new cars and motorcycles sold in France since 01/01/2011 are fitted with DRLs which turn off when the headlights are switched on (DRLs are actually brighter than main beam and don’t have a dip pattern as they are intended for daytime use)

Your GS is identical, as said before, just leave it on auto like at home

OK.. will have a look Fred :thumb2

But if not needed... I'll keep it on DRL's... :)

Whilst your credentials as a gung-ho, balls out bikermate of the first order are obvious, not having your documents is just foolish.
Anyone who knows me would never describe me as gung ho or balls out:) OK do you take the originals or photocopies of the V5 and insurance? Quite seriously, I've been riding all over Europe on my own bike and rental bikes for many years and I dont recall ever being stopped by the police. I dont ride like an idiot but I dont hang about either. I just think that scare stories about gendarmes on every corner ready to relieve innocent Brits of their last Euro cent are unnecessary. One thing is for sure; riding is a lot more fun over there than on this side of the Channel, at least compared to the overcrowded, speed camera infested SE of England

OK do you take the originals or photocopies of the V5 and insurance?

I take the originals. I try my very best not to lose them, just like I try not to lose anything else. By and large it’s worked for years. So, why not? The choice is yours.

I've been riding all over Europe on my own bike and rental bikes for many years and I dont recall ever being stopped by the police.

You’ve quite possibly not been stopped in the UK either? Like the UK, Europe is not littered with coppers on traffic duty. Though you only need to be stopped once and asked to produce your papers. Fail, possibly get fined for failing to have them and it’ll wipe out all those happy years at a stroke. The choice is yours.

One thing is for sure; riding is a lot more fun over there than on this side of the Channel, at least compared to the overcrowded, speed camera infested SE of England

Lots of bods on this site are moaning about the reduced French speed limits, rip-off motorway charges in Switzerland, speed cameras and patrols in the Alps, the restriction on video filming in Belgium, the iniquity of French payage booths, the inability to buy petrol, that their credit cards don’t work, the dangers of Calais, the risk of onstreet parking, (possibly) hostile hoteliers.... and more besides. You should work to put their minds to rest.

In the rest of Europe they insure the driver not the car. People are also required to carry personal ID.

So carry your papers and be nice to the police. Problem solved.

Don’t forget the roadside recovery for when your fuel strip / final drive / engine falls out. And always carry a spare engine oil can.
That was bollocks the last time you said it and its still bollocks now.
Anyone who knows me would never describe me as gung ho or balls out:) OK do you take the originals or photocopies of the V5 and insurance?
You don't really get an original of the CoI any more do you? Mine comes in an email.

so after visiting Euro Disney :( on the way home, I wanted to go into Paris and let my Lad see it tower.. can you get close with the bike or are there some restrictions?

also.. on the way back to Zeebrugge, I'd like to take him to a big war cemetery.. wonder if there is one on the way?.. Know it sounds a bit naff for a 12 year old.. but I’d like him to see the realities of war instead of just playing the shoot e'm up games all the time on his X-box.. a bit of education for him :)

so after visiting Euro Disney :( on the way home, I wanted to go into Paris and let my Lad see it tower.. can you get close with the bike or are there some restrictions?

also.. on the way back to Zeebrugge, I'd like to take him to a big war cemetery.. wonder if there is one on the way?.. Know it sounds a bit naff for a 12 year old.. but I’d like him to see the realities of war instead of just playing the shoot e'm up games all the time on his X-box.. a bit of education for him :)

Stop in at the ossuary at Douaumont, it holds the remains of 130,000 unidentified soldiers, all around the outside are windows where you can look at the piles of bones that were picked up after the fighting

http://verdun2016.centenaire.org/fr/lossuaire-de-douaumont

That should do the trick

Think thats the one I've been to before...
No. was thinking more between Paris and the ferry.. we need to ride north on the A1 to get the ferry as it goes around 8 PM I think... so needs to be on route...

Just park at the beginning of Avenue Georges Mandel, map and streetview below, keep to your left as parking entrance is in between the 2 one way roads, and then to get out of Paris just keep driving down the road and you will end up on Paris ring road, once parked up just walk across the road to Trocadero, best place to view the tower, just be careful of the Roma pickpockets, they are all over Trocadero and eiffel tower area.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.8...4!1s3XYRYp9h4U3uLZSTMJ_KbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Tyne Cot Cemetery north west of Ypres should fit your bill. Of course 20.00 and the sounding of the Last Post every night at the Menin gate bearing 54896 names of soldiers who have no known grave in Ypres is the ultimate reminder but maybe this will not fit your schedule.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we shall remember them.

Tyne Cot Cemetery north west of Ypres should fit your bill. Of course 20.00 and the sounding of the Last Post every night at the Menin gate bearing 54896 names of soldiers who have no known grave in Ypres is the ultimate reminder but maybe this will not fit your schedule.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we shall remember them.

+1 to that

But be careful, it might make your eyes sweat

That looks like a good one (if there ever can be a good one)... and passchendaele just down the road... will make a list and enter it into the nav..

Yes.. indeed.. very moving places.. well worth a visit to pay our respects....

cheers

You don't really get an original of the CoI any more do you? Mine comes in an email.

You can get your documents via the post as paper "hard copies" if you ask when renewing over the phone or ticking a small box in the T&C section if online.

I've done this on both of my car Esure policies, as well as my bike Footman James, Hastings Direct and Lexham policies.

These days insurance docs either come as PDF files attached to an email, or can be downloaded from your login on the insurer's website. Not rocket science to print out on home or work printer, as requesting paper docs often incurs a surcharge

All my documents, other than my passport are on my google drive. I've had to use it twice. French and Italian police. All OK.

Good to know. I have mine on my Microsoft OneDrive, along with scans of passport and EHIC card plus pdf of bike manual and manuals for any gadgets I have with me. I still take paper copies of insurance docs and original V5 though.

To go into Paris, and other major cities, you need to display an emissions sticker - Crit'Aire (€4.80), big fines for not displaying.

To go into Paris, and other major cities, you need to display an emissions sticker - Crit'Aire (€4.80), big fines for not displaying.

Although I was aware of this, I didn't bother. . . . . maybe i was just lucky ?

Hi Beaver,Listen to what Wapping has to say, I went to France last year on my own( really last minute ) and had not much clue.He gave me some good advise and will be giving you the same.Enjoy your trip, the grub and wine, people and roads are great!

yes indeed...

And where does one get the said sticker?

Back
Top Bottom