paralever kick start

scarf100gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Never been able to start my '91 100gs on its kickstart whatever I try so does anyone know why the two ignition black boxes and can the old kickstart only module be fitted to the later electric start with kickstart? ....sounds odd this, if so why make the newer module anyway, must be a reason, maybe the fitting:confused:?

The electronic ignition module, sits under the tank... Two types available, one for a kickstart bike the other for a non kickstart.

The kickstart module produced a spark at any crank speed however slow.
The non kickstart module needed a few RPM before it sparked.
This is from a post by Steptoe

They are a pig to kickstart in my experience, even with correct module. easier when warm though, give that a try just for the hell of it.

They are a pig to kickstart in my experience, even with correct module. easier when warm though, give that a try just for the hell of it.

I've tried on your old bike, just after having it tuned, I couldn't start it in the 15 mins I tried. :thumb. She runs like a dream still and looks just as she did. I did think of changing the colour and adding a few bit's and bobs but then decided, I've done that before so, now I wash then give it a once over and service or make a note to service anything that needs doing then ACF50. I don't use it as often as I should but I have more than one bike but it's still my favorite to ride, unless I just want crazy, mad fun, then I take the Honda XR650R for a blast. I wouldn't want to take it the distance that I would the R100GS but every second on it is MAD!:moped:

I've tried on your old bike, just after having it tuned, I couldn't start it in the 15 mins I tried. :thumb. She runs like a dream still and looks just as she did. I did think of changing the colour and adding a few bit's and bobs but then decided, I've done that before so, now I wash then give it a once over and service or make a note to service anything that needs doing then ACF50. I don't use it as often as I should but I have more than one bike but it's still my favorite to ride, unless I just want crazy, mad fun, then I take the Honda XR650R for a blast. I wouldn't want to take it the distance that I would the R100GS but every second on it is MAD!:moped:

The electronic ignition module, sits under the tank... Two types available, one for a kickstart bike the other for a non kickstart.

Yes, thanks but can I use the non kickstart module on my electric start gs so I maybe able to kicksatart it? Seems illogical if I can, why have two modules? Stupid having kickstart back up and not able to use it? Tried everything recommended to kickstart it but not a murmur and it's killing me!! :weights

I think the electric start module needs 200 rpm. that was my experience on a r100-7. JJH

I think the electric start module needs 200 rpm. that was my experience on a r100-7. JJH

Yes but the non electric start module needs much less (supposedly) I just want to know if it will work on my electric start gs so I can use the kickstart and if so, why the two modules? Do they differ just on the mounting?

This, is all you ,need to know.
Only race bikes were kick only.

This, is all you ,need to know.
Only race bikes were kick only.

So, presumably if I put the "kick start" unit on my bike I will, probably, be able to kick start it. There must be a reason for the electric start module if only to piss people off!! Am I making sense here??? :bounce1

That guy on tbe bmwmotorcycletech site has an explanation which I can't quite remember about how the modules differ. Either module will work for electric start but only one will get it started if you are kick-starting it. Part numbers also on his site, Google is your friend on this one. I think the modules with purple part number is the kick start one. When kick starting you have to open the throttle to let gas on and you have to give it a few good kicks too to allow the intake stroke to suck on the carb. I'd imagine it will work better with smaller carbs but I'm just guessing.

Glad you still enjoy my old bike Jim I was wondering about the old guy I bought it from(via dealership) in 2007, he must be seriously old now if indeed he is still above ground in the fatherland.

That guy on tbe bmwmotorcycletech site has an explanation which I can't quite remember about how the modules differ. Either module will work for electric start but only one will get it started if you are kick-starting it. Part numbers also on his site, Google is your friend on this one. I think the modules with purple part number is the kick start one. When kick starting you have to open the throttle to let gas on and you have to give it a few good kicks too to allow the intake stroke to suck on the carb. I'd imagine it will work better with smaller carbs but I'm just guessing.

Thanks, it seems motorworks sell just one new unit which is good for both bikes using different mounting brackets https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/...25284&q=12142325284&NUFilter=15&Filter=submit
Hard work this sometimes :thumb

Glad you still enjoy my old bike Jim I was wondering about the old guy I bought it from(via dealership) in 2007, he must be seriously old now if indeed he is still above ground in the fatherland.

Googled it and found this from Adventure rider which sums it up for me :augie

"Thanks for all the observations and suggestions....tried reading and doing it the owners manual way...tried coaxing it with poetry reading and flattery....tried surprise jumping it flying kung-fu style from 20 paces away....tried shaming it by kickstarting the XR600R next to it.......nuthin' works.

Hope to god the battery never shits itself miles from anywhere:eek1 " :bounce1

My G/S has a kickstart. The key to making it work seems to be to use your ankle joint to move the foot, not to just jump on it like any normal bike.

Mostly it will start, hot or cold, but if it doesn't in 2 or 3 kicks it never will and I need the starter.

Back
Top Bottom