Post crash front end a bit funny

ssray

Reaction score
Only having the 1100gs a few months, I decided to see if I could park in the side of a car.
Rode about 10miles today and it was almost as if the
L/h grip was higher than the right.
The crash happened when a nice lady tried to turn right out of a side road in front of me, i hit her car in front of her front wheel and stayed on with the bike upright, then she moved bacwards a bit( clutch in or reverse gear i'm not sure) so i balled out the bike went down on its l/h side. The impact was not that hard as I stayed on, what damage is most likely?
I'm assuming the wishbomes are ok as they are big lumps anything else to look for?
The insurance engineer is coming on tuesday to assess her

FFS park it up and leave it alone until the engineer has seen it :rob

The top yoke contains a bearing like a wheel bearing with a shouldered pin through it.
This pin is threaded into the frame headstock casting.
The bearing sits against a very thin lip of metal and I believe it is designed to fracture under impact stress to avoid damage to the thread within the frame and thus technically creating a write off.

When I was doing post crash repair to my 1100GS, I discovered this very thin lip of metal torn away under the top yoke, and making the yoke sit at a slight angle.
Mind you, the bars were bent to hell too. :D

I still need to find out what is broken/bent, engineer is just for insurance

You can start by twist the front fork stanchions around by hand... they should turn a full 360 degrees without any tight spots. If there are tight spots or the leg only turn 180 and stops then the stanchions are bent.

You can start by twist the front fork stanchions around by hand... they should turn a full 360 degrees without any tight spots. If there are tight spots or the leg only turn 180 and stops then the stanchions are bent.
Thanks,I will try when home from work

I still need to find out what is broken/bent, engineer is just for insurance

I understand that you need to find out but riding a defective bike is foolhardy Do I need to spell out the consequences :blast

Written off by the engineer, but I can have the salvage.
So first thing I did was fit a remus exhaust, thinking 17 inch front wheel next after checking the front end of course

You could need to get it re insured which will need a fresh MOT depends on which category of write off based on recent experience with my Blade which is a cat c as was :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom