R100GS Foot Rest lowing help please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, at 6'4" and knackered knees it's time to lower thew foot rests on my 100gs. I remember seeing a kit from Germany mentioned on the site some time ago but I know others will have achieved the same either using a bought kit or something using the original pegs.
Your advice or help please.
Cheers
G

Interesting, mines a 89-90 model so I’ll see what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, mines a 89-90 model so I’ll see what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry, the pegs end up approx 4cm lower and 3cm forward, this is adjustable as the arm the pegs bolt to can be rotated. The pegs end up around 3cm further out at the sides also which doesn't affect much but I scrape them a bit when getting my knee down :aidan
Brake seems ok also but could possibly do with a pedal extension but you get used to it. Gear change possibly needs adjusting but mine was a bit tight so ok now. All this really means bugger all until you try them on anyway but has made the bike much more rideable for me. I use pivot pegs so went for these as I wanted to keep them on.

Mine came with a home made pair simply made out of 19mm RHS and serrated flat bar wich is a stock item in Oz, although a cheap pair of universal pegs cut and welded to the RHS would probably work too.
At the price of some of the after market pegs you could probably buy a welder, drop saw and drill to make them and still come out in front ----------.
But go too low and as previous advised control pedal position is a major problem, particularly if you like to be able to use them without removing your feet from the pegs.
Cheap steel pegs to suit a Yam YZ are around and can be made to fit and probably move the position as much as is possible without a good bit more work on the gear and brake pedals.
At the worst they will tell you what you actually need before you shell out almost a couple of hundred quid on something which may not suit you either - everyone is different!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F-70...m=263046487928&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

What do we reckon to these. 30mm will give a totasl drop of 70mm from where the original footrest sits. I'm guessing as long as the bracket width is the same they should fit?

Maybe, but they look well narrow. Wouldn't want to stand up on those for any length of time. Look more suited to a sportsbike than a GS. I went with the Motobau Bear trap ones as they move the footrest back as well as down - most dont, they follow the angle of the frame bracket and in fact move the footrest closer to the gear/brake pedal, which isn't ideal with man size feet- the airhead is cramped enough in the foot area as it is.....

Hi, at 6'4" and knackered knees it's time to lower thew foot rests on my 100gs. I remember seeing a kit from Germany mentioned on the site some time ago but I know others will have achieved the same either using a bought kit or something using the original pegs.
Your advice or help please.
Cheers
G

I know it's not your legs, but I raised my handlebars and it made a difference to my back ache - it makes you hold your gut in more and it tightens everything up...might help - might not

It seems the SW Motech 1100/1150 also fit the 100gs so one last question please. This will give 30mm total difference which doesn't sound a lot given the std height and my long legs but how do the longer motobau and others cope with ground clearance.
Cheers Guys
G

It seems the SW Motech 1100/1150 also fit the 100gs so one last question please. This will give 30mm total difference which doesn't sound a lot given the std height and my long legs but how do the longer motobau and others cope with ground clearance.
Cheers Guys
G
Garry, I am 6'1 with 34" inside leg and, apart from on the wall of death, have no problems on any local twisties or any where else, not an issue with my set up. My pegs are now 40mm lower and slightly further forward and much more comfort for me. I have always had bar risers also. This is not a straight forward issue of simply dropping the pegs, gear shifter and brake pedal will normally need adjustment. A bigger foot on the brake pedal would be good!

Garry, I am 6'1 with 34" inside leg and, apart from on the wall of death, have no problems on any local twisties or any where else, not an issue with my set up. My pegs are now 40mm lower and slightly further forward and much more comfort for me. I have always had bar risers also. This is not a straight forward issue of simply dropping the pegs, gear shifter and brake pedal will normally need adjustment. A bigger foot on the brake pedal would be good!

Thanks for that and I understand the ergonomics as I've changed plenty of pegs in my time but was more concerned about the forward movement of the pegs given that my clogs are 13's. For that reason I've gone for the Motobau giving 1cm back as well as 6.5cm down. It also states their std Rally pegs works with the std levers rather than the overlarge Bear but I agree with you about the foot enlarger on the brake.

Thanks for all the info guys.
G

Thanks for that and I understand the ergonomics as I've changed plenty of pegs in my time but was more concerned about the forward movement of the pegs given that my clogs are 13's. For that reason I've gone for the Motobau giving 1cm back as well as 6.5cm down. It also states their std Rally pegs works with the std levers rather than the overlarge Bear but I agree with you about the foot enlarger on the brake.

Thanks for all the info guys.
G
Best of luck Garry, my sidestand also needed "alterations" as my new set up hid it!! The Motobau would have been my choice had I not wanted to keep the pivot pegs. Let us know how you get on.
:thumb

LOL, I've looked at that already but my mate is a welder but I'm hoping the rear offset will keep it visible or he'll be welding a tang on the side.
Cheers

No real issues for me with the Motobau pegs, occasionally scrape a toe when im riding like a dickhead, but otherwise all good!

Hi i have had a couple of R100gs,s and got my footrest lowering kits from the following Dutch website. They arnt cheap but the quality is excellent. the stainless steel gearlever kit is worth having as lowering the footrests means the end of the lever is very near your foot. I am about the same dimensions are you 6ft 5 , 34 inside leg with 11,1/2 boots and found the kit from Holland very good. The serrations on the footrests are a bit aggressive but can be filed off a bit.

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/index.php?language=en

I found the boxer supplies design which is fairly universal doesn’t work with big feet - mine are size 12 or 13. This Is why I chose the Motobau rally pegs which are great. I now use these on my modded R80G/S where I’ve modified the brake lever a bit to suit the low pegs. On the 100GS I now use SW Motech pegs intended for a R1200GS which are a little lower than standard. I’m only 6’2”

Best of luck Garry, my sidestand also needed "alterations" as my new set up hid it!! The Motobau would have been my choice had I not wanted to keep the pivot pegs. Let us know how you get on.
:thumb

I too really wanted to keep the pivot but in the end it was a toss up with that or the rear set off and the drop height. Having ordered the Motobau I'll try them and like everything these days I'll move them on if I don't like them.
What I don't get is why they are so expensive?

Back
Top Bottom