Bike ride around Romania

Bmgsrider

Whataboutyee.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Leaving from Belfast to Romania via Chunnel route not yet planned across France, Germany Hungry to Romania for a tour around it. Would appreciate suggestions from those who have ridden the area for places of interest to visit obliviously ticking the box of rides ( Transfăgărășan road ) Recommended hotels which have secure parking, good or bad experiences would be gratefully received for first visit to this country.

Recommend you read Donnie’s Five days in Romania review in the Ride review section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did it a few years ago. But unfortunately with a car.

Brasov is a nice town. Visit the Black Church and rake a cable car ride to the top of the hills overlooking the town

Sibiu has a lovely old town square and so does Sighisoara. Both nice towns to stay. Hotels were cheap so go for the best quality ones. They almost all have parking

The people’s palace in Bucharest is worth visiting. Get a hotel on the outskirts and take a taxi in. They are really cheap. You just need to keep your wits about you in Bucharest if you leave the tourist trail

It’s a fantastic country

I stayed in Arad when I come over from Hungary. been to Hotel Iris four time http://www.hotel-iris.ro
Bike was parked secure next door to the hotel, food is good and is around £35/40 a night.
If you come across Oradea I have the address of a good hotel there as well, I think is called Lyra but I have to double check. Basic breakfast and no restaurant, but is in town centre and is cheap. Around £20 a night, I parked the bike just outside reception.

You're not doing bad here considering it's the for sale section but you may do even better on the Travel forum.

Romania

While the Transfagarasan is a fantastic road, the Transalpina to the west is perhaps as good and not to be missed.

I stayed in Arad when I come over from Hungary. been to Hotel Iris four time http://www.hotel-iris.ro
Bike was parked secure next door to the hotel, food is good and is around £35/40 a night.
If you come across Oradea I have the address of a good hotel there as well, I think is called Lyra but I have to double check. Basic breakfast and no restaurant, but is in town centre and is cheap. Around £20 a night, I parked the bike just outside reception.

Correction the hotel in Oradea is called Lan :blast
https://m.facebook.com/HotelLanOradea/#_=_
The town is very popular now with tourist and is worth pre booking.

I loved the country! Bucharest old town is a great place with wonderful food and beer.
Sigisoara is a lovely town and obviously the two main passes but the whole place is mountainous and lovely, with pretty little villages and churches. I heard Brasov is great but didn’t get ther.
I could easily base myself there foe a whole summer.

I'd suggest you give the south of the country, including Bucharest, a miss. Stick to Transylvania and the Carpathians (though the Danube gorge - to the west of Orșova - is well worth a detour.) +1 for the TransAlpina. Also check out the TransSemenic - motorcycling nirvana. As far as towns/cities are concerned you should see Brașov, Sibiu and Sighișoara, plus of course Timișoara ;) if you're coming in via Hungary. At this time of year the good accommodation can get fully booked, so well worth booking in advance. I wouldn't worry too much about secure parking for the bikeș I've never experienced any problems. When are you planning to come, and for how long?

We'd be happy to put you up for a night in Timișoara if it's on your route and we're at home.

Hi Dave . setting foot in France 6th September heading for Germany , Hungry into Romania , I was to travel on my own but two chums have decided to ride along . Thank you very much for your offer of an over night. Timisoara is on route for us .perhaps we could buy you a beer and chat while picking your brain for places to see. Have only 5 days there ,would have been more as I am retired but others are limited by work.

Terrific place to visit on a bike. I'm sure Dave will be able to put you straight. I thought the Transalpina was a better road than the Transfagarasan.

Be prepared for the bizarre standard of driving. 50mph in towns is absolutely the norm. Drivers completely flat out on straight bits and then tippy-toeing around corners, be it driving a Dacia Sandero or a Audi A6. Make sure you keep your wits about you :thumb

Terrific place to visit on a bike. I'm sure Dave will be able to put you straight. I thought the Transalpina was a better road than the Transfagarasan.

Be prepared for the bizarre standard of driving. 50mph in towns is absolutely the norm. Drivers completely flat out on straight bits and then tippy-toeing around corners, be it driving a Dacia Sandero or a Audi A6. Make sure you keep your wits about you :thumb

Thanks for the tip - I may be visiting there next year.

Back
Top Bottom