First ever penalty points

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
80 in a 60. 3 points and a fine. :blast

Out of curiosity, what's that going to do to my insurance next year and do I need to inform the insurance company now?

Just out of the possibility of a speed awareness course oh well [posted speed+10%+3 mph]........Fines based on income now too. Yes you should tell them though I believe they do now have access to a database that tells them anyway. As to will it make a difference last time I won an award several years ago the insurance were unconcerned and basically said they expect most drivers to have one.

You have to inform them straight away mate, the ‘just in case’ scenario.
May have a financial penalty next year, but just shop around.

I think the first 3 don't make much of a difference.
Tell them on renewal.

Sent from a U11

Speed limit: 60 mph

ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 68 mph
summoning: 86 mph

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

Speeding fine calculator
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speeding-fine-calculator
91108eb742522947585bef9dbbe20df0.png

You could be this guy
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/09/brit...eding-fines-and-now-cant-leave-dubai-7817785/

First set of penalty points shouldn't have an adverse effect on your renewal premium. No need to declare them to your insurance company now, but you will need to fess up about them when it comes to next renewal. :cool:

Thanks lads.

Yeah fair Garda. I was going a bit fast but it was on a blind corner exactly where an 80 becomes a 60. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel. I dind't bother complaining. Driving twenty years and they my first points. I hope this is not a feature of my future!

Hard luck there,
Can you get done by a standard speed van on a bike?
I went rapidly through one in Limerick recently.
It was facing oncoming traffic.
Have gone through several in the past without anything in the post,
So far clean....touch wood.

The Irish one appear to have the camera looking out the rear window catching vehicles coming towards them.
Often wondered if they have a camera to zap rear plates mounted in the windscreen.

The Irish one appear to have the camera looking out the rear window catching vehicles coming towards them.
Often wondered if they have a camera to zap rear plates mounted in the windscreen.

Both Gosafe & Garda vans are now fitted with forward and rearward facing cameras. When the Gosafe vans got the front facing cameras it came as a surprise to some traffic cops on their own bikes ;)

Who came up with the bright idea of motorcycles being exempt from front number plates?

Probably the same people who saw pedestrians getting opened up like with a knife with the the old number plates on the front mudguard scenario:blast

I updated my insurance details the other day, the nice gentleman on the phone asked it had any new penalty points, or pending, or had I attended any speed awareness courses.

I thought speed awareness, was so that you did not need to tell insurance?

:nenau

Back
Top Bottom