First ever penalty points

I updated my insurance details the other day, the nice gentleman on the phone asked it had any new penalty points, or pending, or had I attended any speed awareness courses.

I thought speed awareness, was so that you did not need to tell insurance?

:nenau

I think you must tell them truthfully anything they ask. JJH

Both Gosafe & Garda vans are now fitted with forward and rearward facing cameras. When the Gosafe vans got the front facing cameras it came as a surprise to some traffic cops on their own bikes ;)

I'm still quite curious about this. Does anyone know someone (in ROI) who has received points and a fine after being caught by a speed van quipped with forward facing cameras? The only calibrated speed detection device is the one pointing out the rear window of the van. Other CCTV type cameras were installed after vans were attacked by members of the public who didn't appreciate being caught speeding. Even if the bike's reg is caught by the secondary camera, at no point is the registration of the vehicle displayed at the moment the speeding offence occurred. I'll welcome any correction here, but is that not what is required in the legislation to prosecute a speeding offence?

No this was a speed gun at the hands of a garda on the side of the road.

I'm still quite curious about this. Does anyone know someone (in ROI) who has received points and a fine after being caught by a speed van quipped with forward facing cameras? The only calibrated speed detection device is the one pointing out the rear window of the van. Other CCTV type cameras were installed after vans were attacked by members of the public who didn't appreciate being caught speeding. Even if the bike's reg is caught by the secondary camera, at no point is the registration of the vehicle displayed at the moment the speeding offence occurred. I'll welcome any correction here, but is that not what is required in the legislation to prosecute a speeding offence?

According to the RSA both cameras are calabrated. It’s only simple maths anyway. JJH

If you look at this news article, it seems to suggest that the camera is only at the back door, but it can detect traffic moving away from it as well as towards it, so if you approach the speed van from the front and pass it with your reg facing back towards the back doors, they will get you, even if they are on the other side of the road.

However a good friend of mine was done twice recently and he is adamant that he was approaching the van from the rear and they recorded his registration on a forward facing camera.

If you look at this news article, it seems to suggest that the camera is only at the back door, but it can detect traffic moving away from it as well as towards it, so if you approach the speed van from the front and pass it with your reg facing back towards the back doors, they will get you, even if they are on the other side of the road.

However a good friend of mine was done twice recently and he is adamant that he was approaching the van from the rear and they recorded his registration on a forward facing camera.

Well, if you're still speeding after approaching (and passing) a van from the front so that your rear number plate is caught by the rear facing calibrated camera, then your observational skills need refining.

But nowhere in the article or the video does it explicitly say that a vehicle (with no front number plate) which is speeding while approaching the rear of a speeding van (and so captured by the calibrated speed camera) will then have its number plate read by a second camera located at the front of the van and that this will then lead to a speeding fine. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to hear any official state that the vans are equipped as such and also that the current laws allow for two separate images - one of speeding where no number plate is visible and another where a plate is visible, but the speed is not being recorded.

To the best of my knowledge.......the detection equiptment is set up to detect about 60 metres out. If you haven't seen it in time to get your speed down enough by 60 metres out............you deserve the points!!! (hides and takes cover)

The hand held equiptment is different.

There's either an issue with the calculator, or it's ok to speed if you don't have an income... :D

Attachments

• Fine.JPG
    Fine.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 190
I was caught many years ago outside Duxford airfield doing 88 ish in a 60 zone (testicles mashed into the tank due to heavy braking when I saw the camera). Got the notice, sent off the paperwork, heard nothing. Insurance company said 3 point is nothing and were amazed I didn't have them anyway as apparently everyone has 3 points. Most painful part of the whole experience was the testicle/petrol tank interface.

Spoke to a camera van operator at an event I was at, and asked about forward facing cameras and bikes. He said they record the speed and then just turn their heads as the bike goes by and record the registration. Job done.

Well, being the normally law abiding, play it safe sort of lad I am, I'm awaiting the points in the post. I'm hoping the Garda, who seemed decent, will just forget where he left his ticket book. Or maybe, he wrote it in felt tip pen and spilled coffee on it. I'll channel my inner optimist. If and when I do get the points in the post, I'll let the insurance company know. I don't want to give them any excuse to wriggle out of a claim should I be making one.

On the flip side, I'm riding a bit slower since Sunday. Wonder how long that will last :)

I have met and worked with most of the Garda in that area and find them to be gentlemen. JJH

05467d0484fb6dbdc5d66f478aeb187b.png

I have met and worked with most of the Garda in that area and find them to be gentlemen. JJH

Absolutely. The gardai I was dealing with were grand. I was going too fast. I got caught, it’s a bummer but I’ve no problems with anything really. My own fault! Plus, if my observational skills were better, I could have avoided it. After being back to the spot, it was not a mean spot to stick the gun up. I was already in a sixty.

Absolutely. The gardai I was dealing with were grand. I was going too fast. I got caught, it’s a bummer but I’ve no problems with anything really. My own fault! Plus, if my observational skills were better, I could have avoided it. After being back to the spot, it was not a mean spot to stick the gun up. I was already in a sixty.

A most healthy attitude to being caught - have the same mindset myself for the most part. :thumb2 Best to put yer hand up, face the music and move on. Now, when I was given three points for driving my Skoda Yeti at 115kph along a near empty stretch of the N7 with a 100kph limit I was just a tad miffed. It wasn't saving lives or preventing accidents - it was just making money. But that's the way it goes sometimes. :rolleyes:

Any camera vans I have passed I had a good look into the drivers area.
Never saw anything pointing out the front windscreen.
If you had not scrubbed off the speed by then, you probably should not be driving in the first place.
Same goes for speeding away from one with its ass to you.

Any camera vans I have passed I had a good look into the drivers area.
Never saw anything pointing out the front windscreen.
If you had not scrubbed off the speed by then, you probably should not be driving in the first place.
Same goes for speeding away from one with its ass to you.

Could be rubbish of course, but the camera van bod I met at a road safety conference, told me they don't need to film your number plate, just record it and if they have caught you with the forward facing camera, they have you if they turn and just write down your registration. Not sure how they link the two together, but like I said, that might have been rubbish.

Could be rubbish of course, but the camera van bod I met at a road safety conference, told me they don't need to film your number plate, just record it and if they have caught you with the forward facing camera, they have you if they turn and just write down your registration. Not sure how they link the two together, but like I said, that might have been rubbish.

Find it hard to believe that a jotted-down reg would stand up in court, especially here in Ireland where speed detection has been contracted out to a private company. So over here it's not even an officer of the law who's putting pencil to paper.

Back
Top Bottom