Pannier handles

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will have to remove my panniers at a couple of places we will be staying on a forthcoming trip to Portugal, Spain. I will probably buy a set of carry handles to make life a it easier. The Givi offerings look pretty decent and will save me a bit over the BMW offerings (If they fit).

https://www.ghostbikes.com/9784-giv...MIuuuE5Ybo3AIVBbDtCh15IQ2-EAQYASABEgJFsvD_BwE

Anyone used them on the BMW aluminium panniers or have other recommendations?

Cheers Baz

Why not get some inner bags - saves the faff of taking panniers on and off the bike and carrying the potentially mucky items into your accommodation, or is there some reason you need to take them off the bike?

Although the Givi ones look OK and a decent price, they look like they are pure carrying handles, that would do the job, but the BMW ones have a lot more webbing on them to enable you to strap a tent or other things under, I just got the BMW one,s and for 10 quid more per strap, saves me using other straps, they also use velcro to hold the handle in place nice and strong, rather than them 2 plastic loops on the givi handles, just my personal opinion.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-carrying-handle-for-aluminium-cases.html

Why not get some inner bags - saves the faff of taking panniers on and off the bike and carrying the potentially mucky items into your accommodation, or is there some reason you need to take them off the bike?

I have liners, I will need to take of the panniers.

Although the Givi ones look OK and a decent price, they look like they are pure carrying handles, that would do the job, but the BMW ones have a lot more webbing on them to enable you to strap a tent or other things under, I just got the BMW one,s and for 10 quid more per strap, saves me using other straps, they also use velcro to hold the handle in place nice and strong, rather than them 2 plastic loops on the givi handles, just my personal opinion.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-carrying-handle-for-aluminium-cases.html

I only need the handles, I wont be camping so dont need capacity or a tent or other things.
Cheers

I bought the bmw ones for the boxes on my last twin cam. They were fine though I rarely if ever used them - had bought them for a trip like you are thinking of. Never really used them again though I never took them off. Just be aware that they will rub a bit on the lid and leave shiney spots and fine scuffs

On my LC I didn’t bother. On my first overnight trip I carried the boxes in without straps which was a bit mucky. Next day I bout some strong bin bags and used them as liners. When I stopped for the night I just lifted out the bags - side benefit of extra water proofing.

You could just but some nylon straps for a couple of euro. Just strap two between the two sets of strap points and a third joining the the straps in the middle as a handle. Cheap as chips. Won’t bother you if they get nicked or messed up plus you have nice multipurpose straps to use on your trip - never know when something needs to be strengthened, strapped up or held together. I had a buddy use one as a belt when he realised he hadn’t packed a belt for his regular clothes after a days traveling.

I have both the OEM handles and liners, the handles have never been used, if you would like them make me a sensible offer by PM.

I’m happy to use the pannier liners.

Back
Top Bottom