The Thumbwheel/scroll wheel - Do all TE models have one and what does it control?

Snapper32

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've Googled around and used the search engine here, but can't quite find the specific answers that I want to these two questions;

1. Do all TE models (since 2013) have the thumbwheel fitted as standard to the left-hand grip, or was it an optional extra?

2. What functions does this wheel control on a 2013 bike - just sat-nav functions, or riding modes as well?

In a nutshell, I am looking at buying a water-cooled TE (second-hand) and have seen one which doesn't have the thumb/scroll wheel on. This makes me wonder if it is a genuine TE model or a lower model, which happens to have ESA fitted. I'm not exactly clear on the differences between the specs of the two different models :confused:.

So, I wonder if the scroll wheel should be there and also if it is particularly useful for anything other than for using with Bluetooth paired gadgets.

Thanks, in advance, for your input :thumb2 .

It is std as part of the TE package, best with NAV 5 or above.
No, it does not control the ESA or riding modes.
It does with NAV 5 or above tell you a ton of info about whats going on with your bike, how many times you used your brakes or went to the toilet etc.

It comes as part of the Navigation Preparation inc the locking mount. All Touring Equipment (TE) specified bikes have it. If it doesn't, it isn't a TE.

If you have TFT it controls everything.
All the dash. Phone (in & out), Phonebook, recent calls, etc
TFT navigation.
Media, radio, or mp3. track listing, pause, play , shuffle, next, previous. volume.
All vehicle data. Everything. Riding modes. And fine tuning riding modes to suit you sir.
Press the Nav button and controls the nav too.

Hasn't got an led headlamp either nor led indicators all of which a te also has dont be put off by a non te

Bear in mind when comparing different bikes, that those sold by BMW dealers come with a 2 year warranty. This could be extremely valuable if you were unlucky enough to buy a bike which succumbed to one of the expensive faults which are not unknown with this model.

Bear in mind when comparing different bikes, that those sold by BMW dealers come with a 2 year warranty. This could be extremely valuable if you were unlucky enough to buy a bike which succumbed to one of the expensive faults which are not unknown with this model.
3 years now :thumb

I would have thought so. As it was the same for new and used in the past?

I would have thought so. As it was the same for new and used in the past?

No way are they going to give, effectively, six years warranty on a bike, even if restricted (e.g. ESA mileage) for the approved bike warranty version. More likely they'll revert to the standard model for german cars - 3 years from new, 1 year approved used.

No way are they going to give, effectively, six years warranty on a bike, even if restricted (e.g. ESA mileage) for the approved bike warranty version. More likely they'll revert to the standard model for german cars - 3 years from new, 1 year approved used.

It was 2 years for approved

Thanks, again, for all of the subsequent info.

I would love to buy one from a BMW dealer, but my budget stands at £8k maximum and they seldom have any that 'cheap'. I'll keep looking though.

Does anyone happen to know an online source of the standard specs of water-cooled GSs for the UK market, please? I've Googled a bit, but you guys are the experts :D .

Great bike but make sure you test ride any you might be interested in as the gear change on some bikes is terrible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had confirmation from dealership.
3 years new, and 2 years used. So five in total !

Just had confirmation from dealership.
3 years new, and 2 years used. So five in total !

Surprised, would have thought they'd reduce the approved from what it is now. Should have always been 3 years, mind. Might make trading in the bike at 2 years old worth thinking about, as that's about 1350 quid warranty saved on the old bike.

consider that a previous owner may have removed it,
it does make operating the indicators easier if its not there.

consider that a previous owner may have removed it,
it does make operating the indicators easier if its not there.

Maybe so! From what others have said though, this bike doesn't have all of the right toys to be a TE model. Whilst 'other flavours are available', I rather like the idea of getting a model that has all of the bells and whistles, as it will stop me wanting to add stuff later and should make it easier to sell (one day, years from now, I hope).

Back
Top Bottom