Helinox Cot Or Exped 9 Down Mat?

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What would be the better out of the two for a camping trip to Norway? :nenau Or both?:blast
Never having tried either I’m not sure which route to go down. I’m no lightweight now and my Thermarest Neo Air may not be up to the job anymore. Plus I don’t like the “crunchy” noise it makes when I’m thrashing about trying to get comfy. :D
Or is there an alternative I’ve not come across yet. Gotta be a strong cot type bed too. :green gri

I bought a Helinox cot last year. I'm really impressed with it. It's very comfortable.

However, you do need a mat or something on it in cold weather as the cold will come straight through it. I had a very cold night the first night of a weekend, I think I was too pissed to do anything about it, however, the second night I put a blanket on it and I was a lot warmer. So even with a good sleeping bag, in cold weather, use a cheap Karrimat or similar to stop the cold air.

Tufty speaks the truth, in my experience a cot is comfortable but cold as feck if you don't put some insulation on top of it in addition to your sleeping bag.
I also found the Neo air to be too noisy when you move around and I woke up each morning feeling like I had arthritis!

I now use an Exped Downmat and it's both comfortable and warm. Just done 9 nights with it in Iceland and it was brilliant so that's the one I'd recommend :thumb2

I use an Exped 9 down with a vango viper 750 bag and it's awesome,when my mates have winged and moaned about the cold I've just smuggled up and slept well and if it's warm open the bag up,easy,don't need another bag for summer.

I use an Exped DownMat Lite 5M and it is as comfortable as sleeping on my bed at home. The advantage of the 5 is that it folds down the smallest out of all the Exped mats and for me was totally adequate when I've used it in Iceland and Wales.

I use both the exped down mat with the helinox bed if you are tosser sized get the XL version with four legs, all this gear is reassuringly expensive but it works.

You have Tufty, the 9will keep your nuts lovely warm and dry!

I have the Exped 9LW and a cheap Chinese knockoff bed. Both work well together and letting some air out of the Exped mat works well to make it more comfortable.
worth putting your motorbike clothing under your bed to insulate from the cold.

+1 for the 9 DLW. We use them with an Exped down duvet, I think it's called a DreamWalker 400 or something like that

Back
Top Bottom