Importing a bike into France?

NomadLad

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any info about importing a UK Registered Motorcycle(s) into France?

I'm moving to Lyon next year and I have a '16 R1200GS and a '12 Triumph Speed Triple R, both of which I may decide to take with me.

Can anyone tell me how much hassle and cost is involved in importing them over there?

I have found an article that seems to explain the process pretty well (below) but I'm hoping to hear the more practical side to it.

https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/importing-a-uk-vehicle-and-registering-it-in-france/

I.E what are the costs, waiting times etc, most importantly is it cost-effective and worth the hassle?!

Thanks for any input :thumby:

Thanks for the reading material! Certainly some helpful stuff in there... Also some worrying stuff (charges :blast ) too!

A member on here Biiin can prob assist, I understand he moved out there with his bikes

Steve

I may as well post answers as I find them in case anyone comes looking in the same situation...

Here is where you can calculate the cost of your Carte Grise / Certificat d'Immatriculation.

https://www.service-public.fr/simulateur/calcul/cout-certificat-immatriculation

You will need to consult the following website first and find the CV/Fiscal Power in order to complete the above calculator.

https://www.largus.fr/fiche-technique/motos-cyclos.html

I'll update with anymore tips when I get them.

I've registered one UK bike two years ago and have to register another fairly soon.

The first was registered using the old system and took no more than 2 days of visiting different local offices. Unfortunately the system has changed to an online one and it was (and might still be) having serious delays of up to 3 months or more to get your logbook (Carte Gris). I think this has improved a lot now, however.

Please research and check the following, but just to give you an idea.... You can't register any bike here over 106bhp unless it was fitted with ABS as standard. You will need a Certificate of Conformity which is available from the UK importer, don't pay someone else (ie Eurococ quoted earlier) to do this unless you don't fancy sending a couple of emails and taking some pics (it was that easy with KTM). You will also need a receipt for the bikes showing that VAT was paid (if it was new when you purchased it) or just a hand written one if the bike was bought secondhand. You will also need a utility bill showing your French address. I can't recall if you also need a Certificate de Attestation (proving that you are resident in France and obtainable from your Mayor).

To access the online system you need to register first, which involves your postie verifying your ID(!). Then you can apply online sending scans of the above documents plus your V5. A really good thing to do is make sure every document you provide has the same name and address on, it can have a UK and a French address, but only one of each.

There is a FB group called 'REGISTERING RHD VEHICLES IN FRANCE' that gives excellent up to date advice, including a guide or two.

It might sound daunting but it really is just a paper exercise and as long as you give them everything they ask for, with the right address and name on it, it's fine. The people that have trouble are the ones who don't give them what they ask for!

I think I paid about 100 euros all in for a 04 KTM Adventure. 2nd hand bikes are very expensive here and from experience not well looked after, or presented at a dealer. So unless you want to buy a new bike when you get here, bring your bikes as long as you are 100% that they can be registered here. I thought I'd checked everything before we came here, but I still ended up with four bikes I can't legally ride here as well as being caught when they upped the charges for registering cars here. So if you can get a CoC and the bikes have ABS, I would say bring them, but only if you're good with paperwork. It would cost you a lot more to replace them, like for like, in France.

If you get stuck with anything or have any other questions that I might be able to help with, let me know. I'm hoping to register my 350 EXC in the next 3 or 4 weeks, so should be able to give better info on the new system.

Best advice I can give is the same as someone gave us when we got here, 'don't try to beat The System, because you won't and Keep it Simple, Stupid. The French LOVE admin!

I've registered one UK bike two years ago and have to register another fairly soon.

The first was registered using the old system and took no more than 2 days of visiting different local offices. Unfortunately the system has changed to an online one and it was (and might still be) having serious delays of up to 3 months or more to get your logbook (Carte Gris). I think this has improved a lot now, however.

Please research and check the following, but just to give you an idea.... You can't register any bike here over 106bhp unless it was fitted with ABS as standard. You will need a Certificate of Conformity which is available from the UK importer, don't pay someone else (ie Eurococ quoted earlier) to do this unless you don't fancy sending a couple of emails and taking some pics (it was that easy with KTM). You will also need a receipt for the bikes showing that VAT was paid (if it was new when you purchased it) or just a hand written one if the bike was bought secondhand. You will also need a utility bill showing your French address. I can't recall if you also need a Certificate de Attestation (proving that you are resident in France and obtainable from your Mayor).

To access the online system you need to register first, which involves your postie verifying your ID(!). Then you can apply online sending scans of the above documents plus your V5. A really good thing to do is make sure every document you provide has the same name and address on, it can have a UK and a French address, but only one of each.

There is a FB group called 'REGISTERING RHD VEHICLES IN FRANCE' that gives excellent up to date advice, including a guide or two.

It might sound daunting but it really is just a paper exercise and as long as you give them everything they ask for, with the right address and name on it, it's fine. The people that have trouble are the ones who don't give them what they ask for!

I think I paid about 100 euros all in for a 04 KTM Adventure. 2nd hand bikes are very expensive here and from experience not well looked after, or presented at a dealer. So unless you want to buy a new bike when you get here, bring your bikes as long as you are 100% that they can be registered here. I thought I'd checked everything before we came here, but I still ended up with four bikes I can't legally ride here as well as being caught when they upped the charges for registering cars here. So if you can get a CoC and the bikes have ABS, I would say bring them, but only if you're good with paperwork. It would cost you a lot more to replace them, like for like, in France.

If you get stuck with anything or have any other questions that I might be able to help with, let me know. I'm hoping to register my 350 EXC in the next 3 or 4 weeks, so should be able to give better info on the new system.

Best advice I can give is the same as someone gave us when we got here, 'don't try to beat The System, because you won't and Keep it Simple, Stupid. The French LOVE admin!

Wow, thanks for the very informative write-up, I would imagine you know how much hassle this info will save me! I will join that FB group too.

Both bikes are over 106bhp but both have ABS so that’s no issue. (Triumph Speed Triple R and BMW R1200GS)

I’ve talked to my local Triumph dealer about Cert of Conformity for one of the bikes, I think it will be about £100.

So would I be right in saying that all I can really do in advance of moving down there is get my receipts and certificates of conformity in order?

Best of luck with registering the 350EXC, I hope it goes smoothly and hassle-free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Homologation TRIUMPH Street Triple

Amener la moto chez le concessionnaire
• Changement des optiques – 110.28€ l’unité
• Complétion de la fiche « Vérification du véhicule importé » par le concessionnaire

Envoyer à TRIUMPH France
• Facture des optiques
• Fiche de « Vérification du véhicule importé »
• Chèque de 119.60€ à l’ordre de TRIUMPH France SAS
• Photocopie de la carte grise Anglaise
Adresse :
TRIUMPH SAS
19 Boulevard Georges Bidault Croissy Beaubourg
77437 MARNE LA VALLEE Cedex 2

A l’immatriculation
• Justificatif D’identité
• Justificatif de Domicile
• Demande de certificat d’immatriculation (1)
• 1 des 3 exemplaires du formulaire de cession du véhicule (2)
• Ancien certificat d’immatriculation
• Quitus fiscal (3)
• Règlement de la taxe due

Translation

TRIUMPH Street Triple Homologation

Bring the bike to the dealer
• Optical change - 110.28 € each
• Completion of the "Verification of Imported Vehicle" form by the dealer

Send to TRIUMPH France
• Invoice of optics
• "Checked Import Vehicle" form
• Check of 119.60 € payable to TRIUMPH France SAS
• Photocopy of the English registration card
Address :
TRIUMPH SAS

At registration
• Proof of identity
• Proof of address
• Application for registration certificate (1)
• 1 of 3 copies of the vehicle assignment form (2)
• Old Certificate of Registration
• Tax office (3)
• Payment of tax due

Homologation TRIUMPH Street Triple

Amener la moto chez le concessionnaire
• Changement des optiques – 110.28€ l’unité
• Complétion de la fiche « Vérification du véhicule importé » par le concessionnaire

Envoyer à TRIUMPH France
• Facture des optiques
• Fiche de « Vérification du véhicule importé »
• Chèque de 119.60€ à l’ordre de TRIUMPH France SAS
• Photocopie de la carte grise Anglaise
Adresse :
TRIUMPH SAS

A l’immatriculation
• Justificatif D’identité
• Justificatif de Domicile
• Demande de certificat d’immatriculation (1)
• 1 des 3 exemplaires du formulaire de cession du véhicule (2)
• Ancien certificat d’immatriculation
• Quitus fiscal (3)
• Règlement de la taxe due

Translation

TRIUMPH Street Triple Homologation

Bring the bike to the dealer
• Optical change - 110.28 € each
• Completion of the "Verification of Imported Vehicle" form by the dealer

Send to TRIUMPH France
• Invoice of optics
• "Checked Import Vehicle" form
• Check of 119.60 € payable to TRIUMPH France SAS
• Photocopy of the English registration card
Address :
TRIUMPH SAS

At registration
• Proof of identity
• Proof of address
• Application for registration certificate (1)
• 1 of 3 copies of the vehicle assignment form (2)
• Old Certificate of Registration
• Tax office (3)
• Payment of tax due

I don't understand what you're illustrating?

Is that for a Triumph dealer to register the bike for you, or just to change the headlight and say it's an imported vehicle? Not sure why you would need the 'Checked Import Vehicle' form unless this is for a bike that Triumph can't supply a CoC for. As the bike is a 2012, I would expect the CoC to be available, therefore no need for another form. The biggest problem the OP might have is whether the bike has ABS fitted, because if he hasn't then he either needs to get Triumph to restrict it, or don't bring it here as it will only get a CG after 30 years!

I have a 96 Blackbird that I cannot register here as it is over 106bhp and doesn't has factory fitted ABS. I also have a 98 DR350 and I would need to put it back to stock spec (or find a friendly dealer) so that I can prove it complies with EU specs.

Wow, thanks for the very informative write-up, I would imagine you know how much hassle this info will save me! I will join that FB group too.

Both bikes are over 106bhp but both have ABS so that’s no issue. (Triumph Speed Triple R and BMW R1200GS)

I’ve talked to my local Triumph dealer about Cert of Conformity for one of the bikes, I think it will be about £100.

So would I be right in saying that all I can really do in advance of moving down there is get my receipts and certificates of conformity in order?

Best of luck with registering the 350EXC, I hope it goes smoothly and hassle-free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, if it doesn't then it'll likely be my fault and there's no rush, this is France after all!

Basically yes, just a receipt and a CoC for both, but I can't stress enough, make sure that every bit of paperwork, receipts, V5, Coc, etc., has the same name and address on. I had Jon instead of Jonathan on one bit of paper and it was only after some heavy complimenting on her detective work and a lot of brown nosing, that I got the lady to issue the paperwork I needed to register the ADV. That won't work with the online system. I read this morning they now want a scan of your driving licence and insurance when applying. It's not known if this can be UK licence and insurance yet! You will not believe how bad the French admin system is. £100 seems about the norm for a CoC, some companies do them for free, but not many.

It will save you some hassle, but not as much as you researching that what I've said is the most up to date info! I can't find anything more up to date than the FB group but be careful, don't take what others say as gospel. Mark Rimmer on that site is 99% accurate with his advice and knowledge, he's written the guide on there too.

Good luck with the move, we've been here for just over 2 years now and love it. If there's anything I can help with, give me a shout.

I have an F800GS that I'm looking to register in France and when speaking to BMW France regarding them providing a CoC they said I first need to go to the local BMW dealer and have them inspect the bike to ensure the Headlight dips the correct way and that the speedo reads KPH they would then provide a document to this effect which I could then provide to BMW France for them to issue the CoC.

I have an F800GS that I'm looking to register in France and when speaking to BMW France regarding them providing a CoC they said I first need to go to the local BMW dealer and have them inspect the bike to ensure the Headlight dips the correct way and that the speedo reads KPH they would then provide a document to this effect which I could then provide to BMW France for them to issue the CoC.

I'm starting to sound like the expert I'm not, but that doesn't sound right.

The CoC simply confirms that the vehicle complies with European regulations, it shouldn't matter which headlamp it has or that the speedo reads in kph or mph. Both my KTMs had the 'wrong' UK headlamp and a speedo that displays both (which I think your GS has?).

It sounds to me that what they might be saying is that a CoC isn't available (how old is your bike?) but they can issue a form that states the bike is the same as one sold in France. To do this you would have to take it to a BMW dealer....

Six months!?! How on earth can they justify that! It's a paperwork exercise FFS..... That's some customer service, or are they just trying to put people off? I read somewhere that every bike has to be supplied with a CoC when it's new but either the dealers or the importers 'file' them..... If you bought it new it might be worth exploring the fact that you never got one?

KTM took about 24 hours a couple of years ago and about a week with the EXC.

Running that through Google Translate (my French still needs a lot of work) it doesn't mention an actual CoC, just an attestation, which could be what they call it, but I'd check with someone? There's a site Bikersclubfrance that it might be worth checking on, or even the FB page I mentioned earlier.

Thinking about it.......

It could be that BMW France are just stating it conforms to French specs and therefore it's ok to register..... It could be something that bypasses the CoC.....

Sounds an expensive way of doing it for you though?

I don't understand what you're illustrating?

Is that for a Triumph dealer to register the bike for you, or just to change the headlight and say it's an imported vehicle? Not sure why you would need the 'Checked Import Vehicle' form unless this is for a bike that Triumph can't supply a CoC for. As the bike is a 2012, I would expect the CoC to be available, therefore no need for another form. The biggest problem the OP might have is whether the bike has ABS fitted, because if he hasn't then he either needs to get Triumph to restrict it, or don't bring it here as it will only get a CG after 30 years!

I have a 96 Blackbird that I cannot register here as it is over 106bhp and doesn't has factory fitted ABS. I also have a 98 DR350 and I would need to put it back to stock spec (or find a friendly dealer) so that I can prove it complies with EU specs.

It was simply a Frencman who bought his Triumph in England and that is how he got his Triumph sorted, I suppose it will be for the ops Triumph, however the BMW would not need a headlight change, they all point forward.

Thinking about it.......

It could be that BMW France are just stating it conforms to French specs and therefore it's ok to register..... It could be something that bypasses the CoC.....

Sounds an expensive way of doing it for you though?

From what I understood from chatting to BMW France they needed this proof from the local BMW dealer so they could issue the CoC

Did you buy the bikes new? EU law states that all EU vehicles should have a CoC as part of the vehicle documentation.
Take your dealer to task on it. Did they send it to DVLA? You want it back.

Even my old shitter SLK of 2003 (from Germany) came with the CoC in the vehicle docs.

Since the new regs on car CT's this year, masking the light IS acceptable to flatten off the L/H flare of RHD motors.
As there is no CT for bikes, the same should apply.

It could be something that bypasses the CoC.....

There is no way to by-pass the CoC if the vehicle is younger than the date they were brought in.
Some have done it using just the V5, but, It MUST have all the right numbers and that is a rarity from the DVLA.

Back
Top Bottom