1150 Starting procedure

Bluetinfloor

Reaction score
Just getting aquatinted with my "new" 2001 plate GS and gave a starting query.

It only cranks with clutch pulled in, even with side stand up and in neutral, without clutch pulled in starter button is dead. Starts first time every time, but reading riders booklet am I right in thinking the bikeshould crank/start without needing to pull clutch in as long as side stand up and in neutral?. It's not a biggie, but as bike has 3 months warranty I could get it looked at if its a fault
Thanks

My 2000 starts without clutch pulled in.
BMW may have changed things as mine also starts in gear without the clutch in, unless the sidestand is down??

does your neutral light work?

1150 should start in neutral with the sidestand down. or in gear with the clutch pulled in (sidestand up).

theres a neutral switch which i would suspect, though if your light works this suggests thats ok. also a sidestand switch and clutch switch as JB said. one of them isnt working properly, shouldn't be too hard to figure out with a wiring diagram (haynes and clymer have one) and meter.

Thanks all - neutral light works ok when in neutral so likely clutch switch. Will get the dealer to take a look. I am used to bikes that need clutch in, mainly suzukis, but thought something was up when attempting to hold choke up and pull clutch in at same time!!

Just getting aquatinted with my "new" 2001 plate GS and gave a starting query.

It only cranks with clutch pulled in, even with side stand up and in neutral, without clutch pulled in starter button is dead. Starts first time every time, but reading riders booklet am I right in thinking the bikeshould crank/start without needing to pull clutch in as long as side stand up and in neutral?. It's not a biggie, but as bike has 3 months warranty I could get it looked at if its a fault
Thanks
It’s not your clutch switch.

If you can read schematics, check this: https://www.mac-pac.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/R1150RT-Electric-Diagram-V3_3.pdf

If your starter button is dead in neutral, without the clutch pulled in, it is likely the diode on the relay itself or the wiring from the neutral to the starter relay. The sidestand switch is not your problem (that symptom would be starter turns over but engine won’t fire).

Does you fuse box look similar to this.......

There should be a big yellow relay in the forward left position. This is the starter relay and is a special relay to provide two earth paths for the starting circuit.

One through the clutch switch which you have.
The other through the gearbox switch (Neutral).

It is possible to replace this relay with a standard A Type relay which has only one earth path, in which case the starter relay will only work if you pull in the clutch switch. (Your symptoms).

So check your relay is yellow and not black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 513
On a side note, when I was learning, and when I did my advanced, I was told to always pull the clutch in whilst starting as it saves the starter having to turn the gears (despite being in neutral).

Does this have any credence?

I have pretty much continued to do this and has saved me a few times when I've inadvertently started my bike in gear. (bike with no clever electrics obvs)

Thanks all - I dropped it back to the dealers before the interesting fuse box & yellow relay reply (thanks) and they have just rang to say now sorted. They are saying it was traced a "sticking" clutch switch and is now resolved and starting without needing to pull the clutch lever in.

Glad you're sorted ...

... but just a word of caution; while the 1150 may be less technical than the 1200 it still has needs, one of which is the correct start up procedure. It's very tempting to turn the key and hit the switch but the bike won't thank you for it as it needs to self check completely before starting. Turn it on, put your helmet on, hit the switch is about enough time for the light sequence to finish, then get on and ride away. Don't ever leave it running on the stand. This is very bad for an air/oil cooled engine.

Thanks all - I dropped it back to the dealers before the interesting fuse box & yellow relay reply (thanks) and they have just rang to say now sorted. They are saying it was traced a "sticking" clutch switch and is now resolved and starting without needing to pull the clutch lever in.

You should ask them how they "resolved" the problem. Did they replace the switch or just exercise it a lot? Or did they do something else? The reason I ask is that I don't buy their explanation and it may reoccur on you.

As you described the problem, a sticking clutch switch couldn't have caused it. If the switch was stuck closed, then your starter button would always work. If it was stuck open then it would never have started.

The problem you described was requiring the clutch to be pulled in. The only conclusion you can draw is that the diode in the starter relay or neutral switch wasn't providing a ground path or that one of the wires on the neutral switch side of the circuit is damaged.

Your Dealers explanation is "Horse Shit"

I agree with Roger 04 RT in his analysis.

Pulling the clutch lever or pressing the clutch pedal might be good from a safety point of view but I do feel for those poor thrust washers on start up!

Yep - the "guy on the desk" did not fill me with confidence regarding reasons for resolution, but I think that will be him rather then a reflection of the work carried out in the workshop - he was a bit dozy and distracted when I dropped the bike off. Its being delivered back on Tuesday with this and a few other niggles sorted, so will see what's what. They are a Yamaha dealer and took the gs in on a part ex and clearly we're looking to offload it at a decent price. I have 3 months warranty and to be fair they didn't quibble with the issues I raised and have agreed to deliver it back to me as I am 30 miles away.

We will see!

Back
Top Bottom