Nitron shocks for GSA

Nige P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am the new & proud owner of Bryn's old 2010 GSA which is minty, yellow and currently at 78k on original ESA shocks so am currently researching options for an upgrade.

Now the most popular route seems to be Wilbers WESA which looks good value initially but you have to pay for fitting or send your shocks off for a week or so and pay another £200. As I use the bike for the daily commute that causes a problem. So then I wondered if I really needed the ESA as I'm only commuting with the odd trip so once I get it setup to how I like it will most probably stay there.

So my preference for non-esa shocks are Nitron from Rugged Roads as they have them modified to have the preload adjuster at the bottom of the front shock so you can adjust without removing, but there is no mention to how it is done on the rear without a HPA. Does anyone know if you can wind up/down the preload on a rear shock using a C-spanner or screwdriver & FBH?? HPA's add another £300+ so may as well stick with ESA.

In my experience with non esa shocks on a tc were with Maxtons but once fitted the front shock never needed adjusted whether it was ridden solo, solo with luggage or two up with or without luggage, on the rear I specified the hydraulic preload adjuster for ease but again for solo to two up touring only needed 3 turns of the preload adjuster and the rebound / compression damping was never touched in 4 years

The adjuster ring for front and rear is adjusted with a supplied peg. Easily done on both.

I am the new & proud owner of Bryn's old 2010 GSA
That's not a very exclusive club.:D

FWIW I put Nitrons on my 1150GSA and was very happy with them. RR offered above and beyond after sales service.

Nige P

I had Wilbers fitted to my 2007 GS by RevsRacing in Halesowen. It was a ride in ride out service.
Very friendly guys and the difference to the ride was amazing. I had a remote preload adjuster added but haven’t had to change any preload or damping settings.

I don’t think there’s too much difference between after market shocks (at the same price point).

The key thing is they are speccd for your weight and are rebuild able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, you've all confirmed my thoughts. As an everyday ride I want it to be 'sorted' with minimal fuss so once setup properly I really don't think I'll be twiddling and should wifey want to take a holiday on the bike then I'll spend 10 mins smacking the adjuster round with a hammer & screwdriver.

Back
Top Bottom