My ramblings relating to my Recent IAM experience.

Good luck with the test Bristolsaint. Just remember that the IAM system isn’t about riding by numbers.
Always ride with EMMA (Eyes Moving, Mind Active). :thumb

Always ride with EMMA (Eyes Moving, Mind Active). :thumb

Jesus H Christ

Has the age group of IAM got that Advanced you have to use EMMA.

You be singing 'show me the way to go home' and playing baloon table football next.

I was surprised when they told me, if it's safe to do so, accelerate to the speed limit as quickly as possible.

Like I said, I used to bimble about, but, I thought, if that's what they want me to do, I'll do it their way. I can choose how I ride when I'm on my own.

You can't argue with them. If I wanted to ride differently and argue the point with the observers, then I don't do the training, otherwise, learn and adapt.

There is a mild contradiction with IAM training (and I assume RoSPA?). Whilst primarily about safety, there IS an expectation that a rider will "Make progress" when they can. importantly (and often under reported on some posts) its about restraint too. Slow when you need to, but when the road is open, clear and suitable, Crack on!

Over the 3 years I've been observing I not seen it as a major issue. Most learn to apply the system, their ride becomes smoother, less rushed and they naturally lift their speed.

If an associate really don't want to 'make progress', I would still be very happy to support them until I think they are test standard even if they didn't want to take the test. I never tell anybody that they should go faster. Riding a bike is dangerous and everybody needs to go at the speed they are comfortable. However, if you really want to "bimble" then you will not pass the IAM test. Big deal, its only a silly test anyway. Take the bits you like from the training and leave what you don't. Enjoy the bimbling and hopefully remember the bits that might make your ride a little safer.

The IAM isn't perfect, and being based around the time of volunteers, the training can be inconsistent. However, nearly everybody I've spoken to feels they learnt something from it and ride better/more enjoyably as a result. They may not ride to the IAM book all the time - that's their choice. If you want to do a few rides and decide its not for you, then that's fine.

Making progsess is just riding or driving.

Of course you are going to look for overtaking when you can. If you don't you're not up to standard. Sitting in traffic when it's safe to progress is not advanced riding it's just shit riding.

If you disagree with this, then find another thing to do.

It amazes me the amount of people who sign up for a set course and disagree with what is being taught or tested.
That is the game, if you don't want to play, that's also cool.

"advanced riding" is a mildly contentious term. I would rather we didn't use it. Who is to say an IAM ride is Advanced and another isn't.

However "Sitting in traffic when it's safe to progress is not advanced riding" is not the IAM view. My Ex-police examiner told me before my test that I didn't need to filter if I didn't want to. He made a point of being clear and specific "You will NOT be failed if you choose not to filter".

I am very happy for people to disagree with what they hear. It means they are thinking about their ride and the information they are receiving. It is their ride, safety and life and they need to do what is right for them. Clearly if they significantly disagree with the system that IAM teach, they may not pass an exam which is based on that system.

"advanced riding" is a mildly contentious term. I would rather we didn't use it. Who is to say an IAM ride is Advanced and another isn't.

However "Sitting in traffic when it's safe to progress is not advanced riding" is not the IAM view. My Ex-police examiner told me before my test that I didn't need to filter if I didn't want to. He made a point of being clear and specific "You will NOT be failed if you choose not to filter".

I am very happy for people to disagree with what they hear. It means they are thinking about their ride and the information they are receiving. It is their ride, safety and life and they need to do what is right for them. Clearly if they significantly disagree with the system that IAM teach, they may not pass an exam which is based on that system.

Indeed, but I said nothing of filter, I said progress.

Yes you are correct, if you sign up to a club, you play by their rules. I disagree with some of the IAM teachings, but had to play in order to pass, despite my previous advanced driving.

My observer said I should have filtered on a ride the other day. I pointed out that to do so would have meant riding in a hatched area that was full of gravel and crap that had been washed there after the first heavy rain in weeks. I had considered filtering but chose not to. He agreed with my thinking and said that by making this choice it was a good example of advanced riding as it showed I was thinking about the details.

My observer said I should have filtered on a ride the other day. I pointed out that to do so would have meant riding in a hatched area that was full of gravel and crap that had been washed there after the first heavy rain in weeks. I had considered filtering but chose not to. He agreed with my thinking and said that by making this choice it was a good example of advanced riding as it showed I was thinking about the details.

QED.

The main rule is that there are no rules. :D Well, maybe something of an exaggeration if you allow for speed limits and other statutory restrictions but there are lots of gray areas in "advanced" riding. If you can justify your decisions , ahem, riding plan :augie in they way you illustrate here, then you are an advanced rider. IMHO

I’ve just returned from a 1000 or so mile scenic ride with to attend a Widows sons rally in Belfast. Two of our group were IAM riders both with firsts in recent tests. Both of them dropped their bikes at different times, I cannot lie, I chuckled quite a lot.:D

I’ve just returned from a 1000 or so mile scenic ride with to attend a Widows sons rally in Belfast. Two of our group were IAM riders both with firsts in recent tests. Both of them dropped their bikes at different times, I cannot lie, I chuckled quite a lot.:D

Being an advanced rider has nothing to do with not dropping a bike. AFAIK slow riding and bike handling is now not part of the test or training. I have seen a police officer drop his bike, he was an excellent rider, shit happens. Oh and I wouldn't chuckle if someone does drop their bike.

Being an advanced rider has nothing to do with not dropping a bike. AFAIK slow riding and bike handling is now not part of the test or training. I have seen a police officer drop his bike, he was an excellent rider, shit happens. Oh and I wouldn't chuckle if someone does drop their bike.

He was having a laugh. Relax a little. The guys who dropped their bikes (I'm assuming off centre stands or paddling i n a car park) probably chuckled too. As you say and we all know - sh1t happens. :D

I took pictures as well, I guess my advanced riding ambitions need to be reigned in a little.

Wahey! I passed my IAM test this afternoon. A 40 mile ride to meet for the test warmed me up nicely, then 26.5 miles of test, mostly country roads and towns or villages. Couldn't fit in an overtake but did manage some filtering. The 40 miles back home didn't seem to take as long :D

Wahey! I passed my IAM test this afternoon. A 40 mile ride to meet for the test warmed me up nicely, then 26.5 miles of test, mostly country roads and towns or villages. Couldn't fit in an overtake but did manage some filtering. The 40 miles back home didn't seem to take as long :D

Good one :thumb

:beerjug:

Happy days, well done.

Great to hear people getting the advanced training from both camps. There are differences, but it’s IMO down to each group, I first did the IAM Skill for life and passed. My observer was all for progress and observing the Highway Code, but he spent very little time on safety. My RoSPA tutor was exactly the opposite and spent sometime helping me with safety and I gained a Gold.

But I believe it’s the observer/tutor relationship with the associate that is vital to accessing the best trading and result.

As casbar said it would be great to see some of you coming along to SERV Wessex as blood bikers. It’s our social next Thursday if anyone is interested pm me or Casbar.

There will be a number of SAM members in attendance

. He agreed with my thinking and said that by making this choice it was a good example of advanced riding as it showed I was thinking about the details.

What he actually did was some very quick thinking to try and dig himself out from showing he was yet another brainwashed pillock who can only ride a bike the way his book tells him to.

What he actually did was some very quick thinking to try and dig himself out from showing he was yet another brainwashed pillock who can only ride a bike the way his book tells him to.

I always say to my students....... 'Filter if you consider it safe to do so'. A good tutor will then discuss with the student about what he did (filter or not). If I consider it not safe I will tell them not to filter, but never force them to.

When acting as the 'stooge' during instructor training, I was 'told' to filter to the front of the queue at traffic lights. Due to the position of a van at the front of the queue I then stopped where I was straddling the stop line. At our debrief he told me off about straddling the line, to which I replied that he had 'instructed' me to filter, and the only safe stop was straddling the line. It made him think to give advice other than a firm fixed instuction. The senior tutor also picked it up.

I'm glad I don't suffer having this treatise in my bonce each time I swing a leg over.:blast. Ignorance is bliss.;)

When i read that i had similar thoughts, back pedalling or what. Things like that and the differing
views of the instructors/observers gives rise to the thought that the whole thing appears to be a bit, can i say,
nonesensical. Everybody should either sing from the same hymn sheet or make it quite clear to the candidate
that what they are being told is the right way can change from instructor to instructor and not to take it as gospel :blast

I'm glad I don't suffer having this treatise in my bonce each time I swing a leg over.:blast. Ignorance is bliss.;)

Me too :thumb2

Last weekend i rode out with a group of very experienced and excellent riders of this parish and not one was/is IAM or ROSPA and
none have any interest in those organisations prefering to ride their own way using experience gained and good old common
sense which is, imho, what safe riding is all about really.

Question, as i get conflicting messages depending on who i talk to (no surprise there, considering the above) regarding
the Blood Bikes, am i right in thinking you need to be IAM or ROSPA accredited to be able to do it?
Seems to me that, if true, this excellent organisation is missing out on a raft of good riders that would offer their services if there
wasn't that requirement.
Of course, human nature being as it is, I can imagine it being said by those already in that, if you don't want to do it your not the right
type and therefore should be refused entry, so to speak. Needless to say, i would find that view very short sighted.

I started this year with the intention of assessing my riding, or rather, having it assessed to see and address any obvious shortcomings. I started with Bikesafe, then IAM and have BMW ORS to follow in a fortnight. I wasn't really intending to fully "buy in" to any particular school of thought, but to get an overview, some pointers and hopefully to emerge a better rider. Some of the assessors/observers were (much) better than others, with a more engaging, encouraging way of giving feedback. Others (1 other) was didactic, from the "I know best" school and was the one I learnt least from. He was also the one most likely to put me off from fully engaging with his organisation.

Has it done any good and am I a better rider. Yes, without doubt. I have ironed out a couple of minor faults and been encouraged that there were only a couple to begin with.

With regard to Blood Bikes, consider IAM/RoSPA a qualification to enable you to join, not a lifestyle choice that forever dictates your riding style.

Or don't do any of it. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom