Indicators not working which is the relay? R100gs 1994

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents
All help greatly appreciated, I have just got my 1994 R100gs 1000 back together after the heads being rebuild and some general maintenance cleaning etc. Now she starts and runs OK so booked in for an MOT on Friday now the indicators will not work!

Battery is fully charged, does the engine need to be running for the indicators to work? with the ignition on I have 12v to the handlebar switches, the earths at the lights seem OK so I think it could be the relay. Could someone tell me if the indicator relay is the grey one under the tank (see photo). How can I check the relay? can I short the main power at the centre to the indicator lights? if so which terminal? what else should I check. They were working when I last rode the bike about 3 months ago and I do not think I have upset anything on the indicator circuit.

Regards
Barny

Attachments

• DSC_0390-1.jpg
    DSC_0390-1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC_0391-1.jpg
    DSC_0391-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 461
Check you have 12v going to the relay. Relays usually make a click when powered up. If you have 12v but no click I’d hazard a guess at a faulty relay .

I thought the 1994 model had the large green rectangular relay same as the K series.

East to check- pull the gray relay and see if the bike starts!
I think the two large relays are starter and headlights, which leaves the two small ones , perhaps switching them round might give you a clue.
But I might be confusing it with my G/S-----.
There is a standard code for the pin numbers on relays out there somewhere, and once you find it checking is simple, when power is put across the switch pins there should be a click, which is a switch activating that completes the circuit in the power feed cable.

If you have an indicator "paddle" switch on each side and a thumb up cancel on the right side ???

it's that big black jobbie with the two screws between the Ignition amplifier (alloy thing) and the Voltage Regulator (Red thing)

DrFarkoff

Many thanks you have confirmed my findings. The one I thought it was was the starter relay, found by removing and engine will not turn over. I have now found the relay as you say and also the fault. If I squeeze the relay it will operate for about 3 flashes and if I hit it, it will work for twice as long so currently hitting it. A new relay is on its way so I will be able to get the bike MOT'ed on Monday and then ride it.

Regards
Barny

Back
Top Bottom