Replacement spot lights with OEM connector

oxforshirerider

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, another month and yet another spot light failure on my GSA.

Getting a bit fed up of paying for the OEM replacements, as they don't seem to like water much, which is ironic on an adventure motorcycle. Have replaced one unit twice already.

Does anyone have any recommendations for spotlights from other manufacturers that come with the OEM connector and can fit in place of the OEM spots? Plug and play, so to speak, using existing BMW button/wiring/connector etc...

Cheers

Rob

Hi All,

So, another month and yet another spot light failure on my GSA.

Getting a bit fed up of paying for the OEM replacements, as they don't seem to like water much, which is ironic on an adventure motorcycle. Have replaced one unit twice already.

Does anyone have any recommendations for spotlights from other manufacturers that come with the OEM connector and can fit in place of the OEM spots? Plug and play, so to speak, using existing BMW button/wiring/connector etc...

Cheers

Rob

Although I believe they have changed recently, one reason for water ingress on the earlier lights seems to be due to the OEM connector being incorporated in the body of the light and water running down the cable to the connector which doesn't seem to be well sealed. For my GS I bought some nearly identical and much cheaper lights on eBay. The only difference with these is that they have the connector on a flying lead which is well sealed into the body of the light. To use these you would have to change the connector on your existing wiring.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Spo...m=202333051352&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

There can also be problems with water getting in past the plastic lens and front cover which are seated on silicone sealant. I had that on one of mine which half filled up with water, but it didn't stop working and was easily fixed by dismantling and replacing the faulty sealant with some black kitchen/bathroom sealant. I also drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the lens which will allow any water that gets in in future to drain out.

Fred

Although I believe they have changed recently, one reason for water ingress on the earlier lights seems to be due to the OEM connector being incorporated in the body of the light and water running down the cable to the connector which doesn't seem to be well sealed. For my GS I bought some nearly identical and much cheaper lights on eBay. The only difference with these is that they have the connector on a flying lead which is well sealed into the body of the light. To use these you would have to change the connector on your existing wiring.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Spo...m=202333051352&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

There can also be problems with water getting in past the plastic lens and front cover which are seated on silicone sealant. I had that on one of mine which half filled up with water, but it didn't stop working and was easily fixed by dismantling and replacing the faulty sealant with some black kitchen/bathroom sealant. I also drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the lens which will allow any water that gets in in future to drain out.

Fred
I was looking at them for my own bike..........what is the beam pattern like??

Sent from a U11

I was looking at them for my own bike..........what is the beam pattern like??

Sent from a U11

I've not really analysed that as I fitted them mainly for daytime visibility to other traffic. However I have done some night riding lately and found them very helpful. It depends on what angle you mount them at, and I have mine angled down slightly to avoid daytime dazzle to other traffic, but I found that at night they give some very useful extra illumination to the sides of the main headlight beam. In fact I originally had my HexEZcan set to turn off the aux lights when the indicators are flashing, but have now turned that feature off as when changing lanes I didn't like the sudden loss of the extra illumination, and as my aux lights are fitted quite low down on the crash bars I don't think they mask the indicators too much.

Rob

I’m in the same boat as you and am fed up paying for the oem lights.

Did you find a solution in the end?

Rich

I think I would go for Bmw new style as they will have a warranty & assuming they will have cured the water ingress on the newer ones

I’m heading to the dealer this morning to compare lights

7774015d2dbc0535948d73dcb5562d39.jpg

The updated lights (within the last year) have much better shielding from water ingress and seem much improved if not exactly cheap, you also retain the dash functionality.

£250 for 2 lights and wiring

What was the outcome.? Do the newer lights have the same connector as the previous Oe ones.?

You need the new wiring harness at £75. Not surprisingly really as the actual connectors are FAR more waterproof than the original ones. However I hope this will be an end to the madness! 🤪

You need the new wiring harness at £75. Not surprisingly really as the actual connectors are FAR more waterproof than the original ones. However I hope this will be an end to the madness!

I have the original ones, fitted maybe 2 days before the new ones appeared as if by magic, but dealer fitted so covered under warranty.?
I’ll try copious amounts of electrical grease & hopefully no problems..

You need the new wiring harness at £75. Not surprisingly really as the actual connectors are FAR more waterproof than the original ones. However I hope this will be an end to the madness! 🤪

Good to know. I am yet again doing the 'stick them in the airing cupboard' trick to dry mine out, but starting saving the pennies to move to some of these new style ones and harness.

Good to know. I am yet again doing the 'stick them in the airing cupboard' trick to dry mine out, but starting saving the pennies to move to some of these new style ones and harness.

ecd7d96673f65acd4976df494720456e.jpg

Not too bad, lots of stripping down but plug and play at 3 points into the main wiring. Easy though.

They are going to look ace on my new TT upper bars!
£266 for the parts

Back
Top Bottom