Kelly kettles and alternatives

When using a Trangia or other alcohol burner adding a little bit of water to each fill greatly reduces soot collection on pots.

Also non-water based ‘Panel Wipe’ (the fast type as no additives to slow evaperation) is so much cheaper than Coleman Fuel, £12-£15, for 5L its basically the same stuff and burns very clean

When using a Trangia or other alcohol burner adding a little bit of water to each fill greatly reduces soot collection on pots.

Also non-water based ‘Panel Wipe’ (the fast type as no additives to slow evaperation) is so much cheaper than Coleman Fuel, £12-£15, for 5L its basically the same stuff and burns very clean

I use Aspen 4T instead of Coleman fuel because it’s very clean burning and I use alcoholic gel for preheating rather than old spit, fizz, bang of unleaded for both.

I’ve tried adding water to meths and yep, that works as well :thumb2

Methylated spirits will be purchased tomorrow and I’ll be trying the Trangia burner in the Kelly kettle just because I can :D

Look at it this way ,,,,, if the power and gas go off on the grid ye will still be able to get a brew on .

Ps ain't used mine for ages must get it out again :thumb2 proper boys own stuff ,which I as a middle aged man make no apology for :thumb2 , I like camping n cooking n living outdoors in the summer , we had yet another fine trip up Norway doing just this in June .
Let,s one out for weeks at a time without breaking the bank too .:thumb2

I wasted a couple of hours today messing about with tents then searching through plastic boxes in the garage for everything I might need for 10 days away. That’s the easy part, the next stage is putting everything into a pile then throwing out what won’t fit on the bike and replacing spare clothing with small bottles of travel wash.

I wasted a couple of hours today messing about with tents then searching through plastic boxes in the garage for everything I might need for 10 days away. That’s the easy part, the next stage is putting everything into a pile then throwing out what won’t fit on the bike and replacing spare clothing with small bottles of travel wash.
That's deffo not time wasted ,,, it's all part of the experience :D

Which Kelly size is recommended? The Scout looks about right, along with a hobo stove.
I’m not sure the kettle top pan frame wouldn’t make the whole thing unstable.

I went for the base camp version because I can get it to the boil, pour myself a drink then keep a rolling boil going while I cook on the top pan frame. Well that’s the theory but the reality is that I just like fire so I’m much more likely to cook on the hobo stove :drool

I got the Scout and I think that's as big as I would go, although I can see the benefits of the bigger one.

I also got all of the extras, the thing that goes down the top so you can use the kettle and put a pan on top, I got the grid that goes over the fire base, the other thing that goes over the fire base so you can just cook on that instead of always having the kettle on. I also go the pans too so I had the dedicated kit for this stove system, (as the salesman would say)

To be fair, as long as you have flat ground, the whole thing is quite stable, but if you only need to use the pan then the hobo stove is the way to go.

They are a really nicely designed bit of kit and as both Andy and I have said, they boil water so quickly. Probably the most efficient stove for doing so, certainly that I've come across.

And, they're just fun things to use and play with at the end of the day when you're relaxing having dinner, you can just keep a tiny self contained fire going.

Trangia burner update: well it works but it’s slow to boil water, we’re talking at least normal Trangia times here and they’ve always been about the slowest stove on the market. I can see a few advantages if you really can’t use it outside and simply dropping it in the normal base then using the hobo stove on top of that actually worked well plus you could use the normal Trangia simmering cover to control the flame.

I’ll be taking one with me next week so thanks for the idea go to repomanbe :thumb2

I reckon it would take a Trangia gas conversion burner. I might give that a go this weekend. :camping

On the KK website they suggest if you're not using a fire in the fire pit, partially cover the top of the chimney to help retain more heat.

I’ve got a gas stove that takes remote cylinders but if I’m using gas to boil water then it’s being connected to a jetboil :D

I couldn’t resist it so tried the gas burner and it’s not much good for boiling the kettle. The heat isn’t spread as much as you get with twigs so it’s going straight up and really only warming the top of the chimney. Ok for cooking using the hobo stove or for a slow boil inside the tent but otherwise forget it.

I have had a good long look and considered leaving the Kelly at home next week because of the size but it fits in my tailpack stood upright and right now it doesn’t look as if I’ll need to leave out anything I really want so fuck it, go bush :hippy

Good work. You've saved me a job.

Take it. It'll be good to sit around now it's getting darker in the evenings.

I've just got a Base Camp KK kit.
And I've changed my first name to Bear.

For my impending overland (Landcruiser) to Morroco can anybody recommend a decent quality kettle/power inverter for quick brews on the go?

I've just got a Base Camp KK kit.
And I've changed my first name to Bear.

For my impending overland (Landcruiser) to Morroco can anybody recommend a decent quality kettle/power inverter for quick brews on the go?

Boil enough water when you've stopped and fill a vacuum flask with hot water to use on the go.

To be honest I’d go with a jet boil if I was only making one or two cups. The Alpkit one I’ve got will boil enough for 2 cups in about 90 seconds when used with a full gas cylinder so it’s just the easiest way to do it.

Thanks both - I like your ideas - the thermos for my coffee and the wife likes boiling water for tea.
Ta.

I've seen a jetboil in action. For a quick cuppa they are impressive.

Wouldn't want to have to cook a meal on one though, although I'm sure it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom