1100GS Front Brake Issue

michaelmo

Reaction score
Hi all!

First post, apologies for diving straight in.

I've recently picked up a '96 R1100GS, the bike had been owned by an (ahem) older gentleman who gave up riding, but couldn't bear to part with his beloved GS. The tax disc states 2009 as last on the road, although it's thought he had it MOT'd in 2011 and it's sat in his heated garage ever since.

Fast forward a little while and it's eventually been freed and sent back out into the wild.

I'm going through the bike, checking drive bearings, wheel bearings, brake discs etc etc and I've ran into a slight issue.

The front brake calipers aren't functioning as I'd expect. The lever is almost solid at the bar, then every 2nd or 3rd squeeze will almost 'pop' and allow a few of the caliper pistons to move.

Some further background, there is a new master cylinder fitted, the calipers have recently been rebuilt, no corrosion and the seals appear 'new', I've bled back from the ABS unit, but the calipers aren't very happy about being vacuum bled, which leads me to the hoses as a likely culprit. They certainly appear to be the original lines and I'd imagine they've degraded inside.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across something similar before I start ripping the hoses out https://ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

Original rubber hoses can deteriorate inside. 22 years old ... I'd replace them as a matter of course.

Hoses - Very common problem. Especially the 1100 top hose that splits/ruptures when squeezed hard :D

Yeah, it's definitely the hoses, both lower hoses were literally stuffed full of degraded rubber... Grim.

a>

Back
Top Bottom