Confused from Norfolk

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
While installing some OEM fog LIGHTS I had to remove the starter motor to swap the accessories loom.

When putting everything back together I stopped to test the lights. Nothing! Checked a few things and found the ignition live, from fuse 1 was dead. This has always been feeding the relay for the accessories block so a little confused.

I thought I'd put a few more things back on the bike, including the headlight only to find this didn't work either.

Now really confused. Spent a good hour diagnosing, checking wiring diagrams and couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Break light worked, dash lights up, but no headlight!

Last thing was to fit the starter motor. Didn't think this would have anything to do with it but pretty fed up by this point. Once in, everything worked; headlights, fog lights etc.

Can someone explain to me why the frig would a disconnected starter motor stop the headlights working??????
effd027f243d52d176fa7962a1d85560.jpg
9db79ea02f4d8561aaf5bba18334e9d3.jpg
5c8f0ded5f423835d60478f5a4235eb4.jpg
0de393175c1203aa5f1640c335c337c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Because..........

The Starter motor control, which is the small black wire is also the earth path for the load relief relay.

Without the load relief relay being energised, you will not have any head lights or horn etc. You will notice when you press the start button, that the headlight goes out. This is because the load relief relay is deenergises during start to give maximum battery power to start the bike. But for safety reasons the rear tail light is completely separate and will always be on.

Ian

Because..........

The Starter motor control, which is the small black wire is also the earth path for the load relief relay.

Without the load relief relay being energised, you will not have any head lights or horn etc. You will notice when you press the start button, that the headlight goes out. This is because the load relief relay is deenergises during start to give maximum battery power to start the bike. But for safety reasons the rear tail light is completely separate and will always be on.

Ian
Smart arse

Cheers for the explanation, makes sense now, but not when I was up to my ears.

been there, done that, ordered a new battery thinking I'd killed it only for the penny to drop about 10 minutes later

you only make that mistake once :)

I'm also from Norfolk and I'm confused pretty much all of the time. Normal for Norfolk ;)

Back
Top Bottom