R1150GS VIN number gone missing...

JohnD

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a 2003 R1150GS which has recently been restored - the frame has been powder coated and so the VIN is no longer visible.
Before i start chipping away at the powder coat to reveal the VIN (needed for an MOT) I need to know exactly where it is on the RHS of the frame.

Can someone post a pic of their so I can locate it?
Happy for you to obscure the VIN itself - I don't need the details, just the location.

Also, is it the case that there should be a riveted on plate and an engraved number direct to the frame?
Just wondering what my options might be...

Many thanks in advance.

JD.

just show the mot tester your v5 your vin is on there ,anyway as long as its got an reg number the vin is easily found

It's inline where the rubber trim meets the tank and mud guard
d25a177d563f8ca3c70799197c8a212e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

just show the mot tester your v5 your vin is on there ,anyway as long as its got an reg number the vin is easily found

Thank you for the reply - we know what the VIN is from documentation, but the tester wants to:
a) verify is VIN is present
b) that it matches the one on the docs.

They're being quite picky about this - MOT testing has become *so* incredibly anal lately - a tiny amount (like two drops) of brake fluid in the rubber grommet of the rear brake master cylinder not only caused an MOT failure, but meant I was not allowed to ride the bike home under new rules, to fix it because it's a critical safety system. I was not happy.

Having sorted that, I'm now told there's no VIN, so no MOT, but at least i could ride the bike home.

Cheers,
JD.

It's inline where the rubber trim meets the tank and mud guard [image snipped]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi there - thank you for this - that's really helpful!
I'll go have a look with a dremel and see if I can see it lurking there.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
JD.

Ouch, JohnD - go find a different MOT station.
Once long ago I took my car to a recommended one and the guy started swinging on the seat belts like an orang-utan.
I subsequently chose a different garage.

Here in s. Spain at the ITV station ( MOT ) at La Hoya in Lorca, Murcia Province, the young guys even offered to do the test for me, one of them showing me politely to the coffee lounge when i agreed. Normally here in Spain, driver or rider is obliged to operate the vehicle and listen to the tester barking orders via a walkie-talkie clipped to the car or bike as the test proceeds. Press brakes, operate winkers, lamps, etc.

I realised why this kind offer was made as, through the lounge window, I watched my Rockster zooming to-and-fro in the aircraft-hanger-sized testing shed. Each time with a different muchacho aboard.
They loved it. Needless to say it passed, despite a blown rear-number-plate bulb and being fitted with twin DRLs - which are un-homoloz, sorry, non-homoglol, sorry, non-holomolog... whatever...

Ouch, JohnD - go find a different MOT station.

All vehicles mot'd must have a visible VIN/chassis number. No number, no mot.

Until the very recent new mot changes all you had to do was enter the reg number and even if you got the vin/chassis number wrong the dvla computer would offer a suggestion, i.e. if you entered yzx the dvla would suggest "do you you mean xyz", and you'd say yes and all would be right in the world..
Now if you put in the reg number and the wrong vin/chassis i.e. "yzx" it just states "cannot find vehicle". And won't issue an mot certificate.

Back
Top Bottom