Creak from rear of bike (04 1150gsa)

rhun91

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After taking my remus Ti off I can now hear my bike so I've noticed a creak coming the rear end of the bike when compressing the rear shock. It sounds like it's coming from the right hand side but it's hard to say. It's especially noticeable when carrying a passenger. Has anyone experienced this? Plan is to take off the rear wheel tomorrow and have a good look and try and replicate the issue. Checked play on the rear wheel and all seems fine there.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

The creak is usually Paralever bearings but can also be swingarm bearings.

Bottom bush rear suspension unit ... usually more of a squeak than a creak though!

The creak is usually Paralever bearings but can also be swingarm bearings.
Hi

Is there an easy to check them myself? I've no idea how long it's been like this for but I know Motoscot changed some bearings in the FD for previous owner at 78k. It's now at 94500. Plan to drop the FD tomorrow and have a look inside and then make sure everything is tight. Initially I thought it was the shock but it defo seems to be coming from the FD itself.

Easy fix?

If you had a Meccano as a kid then yes :thumby:

Blimey ... just googled Meccano, over £8K for a No 8 ... I had a No 10 with electric motors, steam engine, the full Monty :rob

If you know what you're doing then no problem ... if you don't then I respectfully suggest you leave it to someone who does ;)

Is it the bottom rear suspension fastening?

:beerjug:

If it's creaking have someone press their ear against the outside paralever pin as you bounce the bike, more than likely the culprits.

Put yer finger and thumb on the very bottom mounting of the rear suspension unit as you lean across the seat with your chest, bounce the 'bike and you'll 'feel' the bottom bush squeak/creak ... if it is in fact that :D

:beerjug:

I think Steptoe gave the answer. I'd put my money on the paralever bearings. Even if they were greased when the FD bearing was done, by now that will probably be gone...and they'll be dry.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think Steptoe gave the answer. I'd put my money on the paralever bearings. Even if they were greased when the FD bearing was done, by now that will probably be gone...and they'll be dry.

Would I expect to see play at the rear wheel if this was the case? Took a look online and bearing changes look very involved. Not ideal when I need my GS daily. Doh.

Dry won't mean there's play. In fact more like gunged up and corroded, talking up any play and making it tight. ..

Would I expect to see play at the rear wheel if this was the case? Took a look online and bearing changes look very involved. Not ideal when I need my GS daily. Doh.

I'd do it sooner rather than later. The creaking is from the bearings rotating on the pivot pins. You could damage/wear the pins (if you haven't already) and put more expense on yourself.

I'd do it sooner rather than later. The creaking is from the bearings rotating on the pivot pins. You could damage/wear the pins (if you haven't already) and put more expense on yourself.
Booked in with my local on Tuesday. He had a look and said the same as you chaps, no play so he's just gonna take it apart and have a good look then grease etc. Thanks for the help.

If you discover they're completely rubbish and need replacing, consider the alternative bushings offered by motorworks. I had some success with these, though they're are varying accounts - it seems there were two versions, early and later versions.

And again, there are Nushings from 'Mouthfullofflake' on the ADV Rider site. People seem to have success with those too.

Maybe do some reading. I would imagine that if the bearings are all dry and gummed up, then they'll be rubbish. So just cleaning and greasing will ironically introduce play.

If they're creaking, cleaning and greasing probably won't do much. I replaced mine with Nushings but cleaned and greased the original bearings while I was waiting for the Nushings to arrive. The cleaned and greased bearings lasted about six weeks before they started creaking again.

I went with Nushings because bushings are better than bearings for oscillating loads (like a swing arm).

If they're creaking, cleaning and greasing probably won't do much. I replaced mine with Nushings but cleaned and greased the original bearings while I was waiting for the Nushings to arrive. The cleaned and greased bearings lasted about six weeks before they started creaking again.

I went with Nushings because bushings are better than bearings for oscillating loads (like a swing arm).
I'm going to go ahead and follow your advice. I figure whilst he's taking it apart it'll be worth putting some new bearings in there for peace of mind. Now to find the right ones on motoworks.

Back
Top Bottom