Rear drive oil leak.

milleplod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
My '55 RT has an oil leak at the rear drive, noticed it today after a run out. Its coming from behind the cover ring (?) on the side opposite the wheel - I've popped that off and sure enough there's a little puddle of oil behind it. I assume its the seal part no. 33117722890 that needs replacing. There's no noticeable play when rocking the wheel at the 12/6 positions. Quick question - looking in where the seal is, the clip that holds it in place doesn't seem to have any 'eyes' for its removal - is it just a case of levering it out with a screwdriver or similar? Or are my eyes that bad that I've not noticed it does actually need circlip pliers....? :eek:

Pete

My '55 RT has an oil leak at the rear drive, noticed it today after a run out. Its coming from behind the cover ring (?) on the side opposite the wheel - I've popped that off and sure enough there's a little puddle of oil behind it. I assume its the seal part no. 33117722890 that needs replacing. There's no noticeable play when rocking the wheel at the 12/6 positions. Quick question - looking in where the seal is, the clip that holds it in place doesn't seem to have any 'eyes' for its removal - is it just a case of levering it out with a screwdriver or similar? Or are my eyes that bad that I've not noticed it does actually need circlip pliers....? :eek:

Pete
Exactly right. It’s a simple round section spring steel circle set into a groove. Find the ends and lever one end out of the groove with a small thin bladed screwdriver. It’s not under huge tension and will lever out easily.
To remove the leaking seal, carefully drill a small hole in it with a 3mm drillbit : the seal is metal coated with the sealing material and you will feel when you go through it. Screw in a self tapping screw and attach something none stretchy so that you can shock load it out.
There are several Utube videos showing how to do it.
Good luck, don’t drill too deep!
Alan R

Did mine a few weeks ago

Started to drill it until I exposed a lip and it then just popped out with a screwdriver - it came out far too easily in my book

Lightly oiled the new one, slid it in and then tapped it home using the old one as a drift and a rubber mallet

If you do it on the side stand you’ll only loose a few drops of oil

Many thanks for that info Alan, appreciated! :thumb2 Driiling the seal....I'd never have thought of taking it out like that! :blast Is the new seal a simple 'push fit' into place?

Pete
yes it is. Wipe the seating clean the lightly oil the new seal and use the old seal to protect it as you tap it into place with a small hammer. It has a positive feel to it when it’s in place and you can’t push it too far. Don’t forget to snap the metal clip ring back into its groove.
Alan R

Thanks chaps. :thumb Just looked at a video of the job, the guy drilled 2 holes and put a self-tapper into each one to help pull the seal with. My drive hasn't got the drain plug at the bottom, so I'll have to drop the drive (again!....I only changed the oil a few weeks ago :mad:) to drain it to be sure its got the right amount in once the seal's done. Bit of a faff - I don't think it can have lost that much really, its only been leaking for 200 miles max.

Pete

If it’s just been misting like mine was you’ll have lost very little oil

I ran mine for 1500 miles while it was leaking and just wiped it down every 100 miles or so and it was just enough to wet the casing

I did drop the oil afterwards and I was planning on changing it anyway and measured what came out only to find it had been way overfilled by whoever serviced it before 🙄

Careful with the black and decker boys,
Had a few folk damage the bearing cage as the drill pops through.
Clean the outside area where the seal will be coming out,spotless clean.
Get a heat gun and warm the case ,properly warm it,then get a screw driver and being careful not to touch the axle surface,just lever the seal out.
The seal is scrap anyway get the screw driver under the lip and onto the steel section of the seal,pop,jobs a goodn:thumb

Thanks chaps. :thumb Just looked at a video of the job, the guy drilled 2 holes and put a self-tapper into each one to help pull the seal with. My drive hasn't got the drain plug at the bottom, so I'll have to drop the drive (again!....I only changed the oil a few weeks ago :mad:) to drain it to be sure its got the right amount in once the seal's done. Bit of a faff - I don't think it can have lost that much really, its only been leaking for 200 miles max.

Pete
Get a seal Pete and pop over,I’ll fit it before your coffee has cooled:)

Back
Top Bottom