GSAP...

Phill Elston

Rum Bosun
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is the GSAP on the 2018 a different software to the 2017?

I’ve been lent a 2018 GS while my 17 GSA is in for work and it seems markedly smoother.
Gearing seems different too. I know that the geometry is different but it just seems smoother. I

I agree my bike a 2015 gsa went in for a service and hill start fitted and a few issues so ended up with a rallye gsa for a few days and it felt more like a friends Ktm 1290 sa. Gearbox much smoother and quick shifter far more refined on the new rallye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 My 2018 shifts much smoother than my previous LC bikes, also the GSAP works perfectly at slower speeds.

Is the GSAP on the 2018 a different software to the 2017?

I’ve been lent a 2018 GS while my 17 GSA is in for work and it seems markedly smoother.
Gearing seems different too. I know that the geometry is different but it just seems smoother. I

Tell them and they will tweak it and probably re-upload the latest software.

Tell them and they will tweak it and probably re-upload the latest software.

They can't tweak it as there is nothing to adjust at a dealer level. If BMW release an update for it the dealer won't know as BMW don't provide release notes for the updates. There may be a circumstance where BMW release a specific update to fix an issue though.

The only thing the dealer can do is reset the adaptations and relearn the quick shift. Anyone can do that for themselves though.

And quite possibly relieve me of arm and/or leg...?

Try relearning the QS yourself:

Start the engine with the transmission in neutral and allow the engine to idle for ten seconds.

Then drive the rear wheel in each gear for at least ten seconds, shifting gears in the usual way, in other words by disengaging the clutch. Take suitable measures lo allow the rear wheel to run safely.

Then switch the ignition off for at least ten seconds to save the new adaptation values.

Then check that shift indicator or gearshift assistant is operating correctly

Try relearning the QS yourself:

Start the engine with the transmission in neutral and allow the engine to idle for ten seconds.

Then drive the rear wheel in each gear for at least ten seconds, shifting gears in the usual way, in other words by disengaging the clutch. Take suitable measures lo allow the rear wheel to run safely.

Then switch the ignition off for at least ten seconds to save the new adaptation values.

Then check that shift indicator or gearshift assistant is operating correctly

Thanks Fred, tweaking I was referring to the software update, that I believe must be free if bike is under warranty, as for the relearning, thanks for that tip, did not know how to do that, any specific rpm,s each gear needs to go up to, to make this perfect, and is it better to do it riding the bike or on the centerstand.

Thanks Fred, tweaking I was referring to the software update, that I believe must be free if bike is under warranty, as for the relearning, thanks for that tip, did not know how to do that, any specific rpm,s each gear needs to go up to, to make this perfect, and is it better to do it riding the bike or on the centerstand.

The dealer wouldn't even know as per what I mentioned above.

I ride mine while do the relearning process, haven't tried it on the centre stand before but it's supposed to work. No specific RPM that I know of.

The dealer wouldn't even know as per what I mentioned above.

I ride mine while do the relearning process, haven't tried it on the centre stand before but it's supposed to work. No specific RPM that I know of.

Ta Fred just to clear up things, so go for a ride change up gears every 10 seconds, then stop the bike and turn off engine, left in 6th gear. wait ten seconds then go ride off again, is that how you do it.

Ta Fred just to clear up things, so go for a ride change up gears every 10 seconds, then stop the bike and turn off engine, left in 6th gear. wait ten seconds then go ride off again, is that how you do it.

That's how I do it you just need to be in each gear for 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom