Thinking of changing need advice!

smally

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have one of the original 1200GS 2004 model and am thinking of moving up the years to a water cooled 2013/14 model. What do I need to look for in issues with the LC? What are the average prices? I'm thinking around £8000 is my limit and a few knocking around. My 04 only has 16K on it and comes with akropovic twin exhaust which I love the sound of, so which is the best aftermarket exhausts? any advice gladly taken. Looking in the market for defo in September so keep your eyes open. Cheers

I would possibly spend a tad more, also in late 2013 they ironed most of the faults out of the launch bikes, identifiable with the steering damper & the white rear suspension spring, did me proud for a few years.
Keep your eye out for corrosion on the wheels, spokes, & frame & engine cases, usually starts corroding from the exposed engine joint faces, mine was ok but I’ve seen some horror stories. A bad one will be cheap.

To be honest you have the best of the 1200s. Lighter and more agile than the ever heavier suaquent models. At just over 1000 miles a year it’s not even run in. JJH

Must agree with jjh at only a 1000 miles in a year that bike is a gem, will sell quickly on here I reckon, as for spending 8000 on an LC, just my opinion I would keep the 2004 bike.

I gotta agree witht the above post. My cousin has a 2004 and has taken it all over the EU and S. America. He's just given it a complete overhaul costing €4,000 and he has a new bike. It's quite amazing the things you find when you strip a bike down like that but, as I say, his has been ALL over the place.

Unless you have a hankering for a "new" bike, then I'd stick with what you have but treat it to a complete overhaul.

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 698
Having had all the 1100/ 1150 and 1200gs variants over the past 22 years for what its worth the 2017 basic 1200gs L.C ( ie no elec stuff apart from ABS) is the best one yet and lighter in weight too,
my wife had a 2013 L.C too with full elec package with no problems,
so don't worry go for the best one you can afford( used with a 2 year BMW warranty would be a good idea)
you'll notice the power difference straight away and the standard bmw exhaust is more than good enough, and sounds good enough to me Smally

I've come up the ranks from r80gs r100gs 1100gs and lastly my 1200gs but do have a hankering for the 1200lc. Maybe a few test rides needed first. I do a couple of big trips a year but now retired this could increase.

Go for it. The bike (engine in particular) is much improved over the earlier hexheads.

I'd agree with the above, the LC GS is so much nicer to ride and there is so much more top end. It's a real improvement. I did 12k on my 16 plate last year with no problems. The only issue as mentioned above is corrosion, I had the rear subframe pain flake off and the rear drive box flake paint off and corrode, both replaced by BMW.

LC GS is a great bike other than that if you want to change the LGBT is the one to contact for support :D

From 2015 on they had a heavier flywheel actually it was the crankshaft and alternator which makes them nicer to ride as not as easy to stall at low rpms...The ADV had the heavier crank and judder dampener all LC's got in 2017 right from the start in 2014.The ADV also steers a little quicker due to 5 mm less trail and has more ground clearance which is good if you ride hard on the road.2017 on got upgraded transmission and were EU-4 which were a little weaker in the mid-range.First year 2013 make sure all the recalls have been performed.I would sell the 2004 with it's servo brakes and if aircooled would go for a 2010-13 TC which were the best of the pre-LC bikes.The LC's have less character but more power,better handling,no throttle bodies to sync and no expensive maintenance bills to split the bike if the clutch is worn or rear main seal leaks...Go LC as they are the better and more modern bikes even if the 2010-13 TC are not bad either...:thumby:

In 2004 the abs was an option. My mustard colored one had no abs and was none the worse for it. The claimed weight was 199 kg. As far as I am aware each upgrade and model resulted in a possibility better bike but a increase in weight came along with it. As a young fella I went from a Honda 175 to a Yamaha rd 250 air cooled. The increase in performance and handeling and breaking was stunning to 18 year old me. At 43 I got the same increase in enjoyment going from a 1150 RT to the gs. Outright power is not the whole story. Mabey I’m wearing a pair of rose tinted glasses but having owned a good few bikes and ridden many more I stand by what I said earlier. JJH

Thanks lads for all your contributions. have narrowed it down to one in Scotland (Edinburgh) and one in England (Norwich). Both have FSH and under 17k miles for 2013 lc. one has lots of extras (full panniers, full akropvic, hilltoped, bits and bobs as well like led lights), while other is near enough standard lcTE. Pretty much the same price give or take a few hundred so not sure as yet which one to go for. Oh ones white and ones red!! Think I will think on but def getting the big 04 lady ready for the market.

Be sure to actually collect the bike before payment is sent some have been caught out with this before

Well have bitten the bullet and sold my 04 GS and put a deposit down on a lc from this site. Will keep you posted in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom