Nav 6 issue.... possibly

motor_mad_man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello there, ever since changing from the nav 5 to 6. One thing bugs me.
Situation.....
I leave the nav 6 in the bike cradle and when l switch the bike off l press the screen to switch the nav off.

When I come to start the bike there is a message on the screen saying" poor GPS reception " after about 30 seconds the message go's and the nav works as normal.

Even after leaving the bike for a week in the garage the nav acts the same .

One thing I've noticed is ....is that the nav doesn't shut down fully and boot up with the welcome screen like l would of it should.

As anyone had the same thing happening.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think you will find it doesn’t completely shutdown if you just leave it in the cradle and turn the Bike off. Try taking it out of the cradle. Shut it down. Turn the bike off. Give the bike 30 seconds to completely shut down ( it could be longer) put the satnav back in the cradle. See if that makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nav 6 just goes into sleep mode, you will see if you leave it for about 3 weeks, battery in Nav6 will be dead.

Don't think you need to turn it off...it will happily shut itself down.
Does it work correctly after 30 seconds? Doesn't sound like a problem....
Is the software up to date? Maybe re-install it...

It was updated by bahnstormer a couple of weeks ago.

I will try that and see what happens when l turn the bike off and don't touch the screen...

Thanks for that

As others have said, the Nav V and the Nav VI does not shut down completely on its own in the cradle, it goes to standby, therefore if its in a garage and you start it, it will not have good sat reception. The only way to shut it down (you will know as you get the welcome screen) is to remove from cradle, press cancel so its still on, then switch off by using the power button on the rear, it will then be off. If you leave it in standby and don't use it, the battery will flatten and it won't start at all. When this happened to me, the only way to get it working again was to charge it from a usb charger.

If you leave it in standby and don't use it, the battery will flatten and it won't start at all. When this happened to me, the only way to get it working again was to charge it from a usb charger.

It will start, but just like a mobile phone, it may take a couple of minutes for the battery to charge up enough in order to start the device..

It will start, but just like a mobile phone, it may take a couple of minutes for the battery to charge up enough in order to start the device..

No it won't if the battery is flat its flat and even putting in the bike cradle will not get it to start up. Of course you may have superior knowledge in this area, I am on the hand am only speaking from experience and maybe my Nav was different. There are plenty of posts about this, or even speak to Garmin, they were the ones that told me what to do when it happened to me, after not using the Nav for a month and it was in standby

Just a thought. There was a well documented issue with the battery terminals on the 590 ( and a quick search will find the fix ) could the Nav VI have a similar issue.
The 590 had crap battery life until you did the Battery fix.

No it won't if the battery is flat its flat and even putting in the bike cradle will not get it to start up. Of course you may have superior knowledge in this area, I am on the hand am only speaking from experience.......

For anyone reading this thread and being left unsure.

It’s very easy. Plug your supposedly dead GPS device into its cradle. If it comes alive, great. If it doesn’t, try kick starting it via the mains adaptor. If that revives it, super. If neither work, bin it and try another.

Just a thought. There was a well documented issue with the battery terminals on the 590 ( and a quick search will find the fix ) could the Nav VI have a similar issue.
The 590 had crap battery life until you did the Battery fix.

Possibly, but the Nav V was the same re leaving it in standby.

For anyone reading this thread and being left unsure.

It’s very easy. Plug your supposedly dead GPS device into its cradle. If it comes alive, great. If it doesn’t, try kick starting it via the mains adaptor. If that revives it, super. If neither work, bin it and try another.

Or just don't leave it in standby and then the battery will never go flat! It will be ok in standby for a couple of weeks, especially if your on a trip or using it every other day. Its when its left for weeks without being charged that the battery will flatten.

Or just don't leave it in standby and then the battery will never go flat!....

Are you saying that if the device is turned OFF, by holding the on/off button and moving the pop-up slider to off, the battery will stay live and the device fire up on demand, no matter how long the period?

If so, great.

If not, bods can refer back to post #10 for advice on what to do next.

I turn my NAV6 OFF by holding in the button as above, but it will still go flat in a few weeks. Just that if I don't do that it goes flat in a somewhat shorter time.

Are you saying that if the device is turned OFF, by holding the on/off button and moving the pop-up slider to off, the battery will stay live and the device fire up on demand, no matter how long the period?

If so, great.

If not, bods can refer back to post #10 for advice on what to do next.

No, what I am saying and its the same with the Nav V, if you switch off the bike and the Nav shuts down, either on its own or by you pressing the screen to turn off, its in standby. You will know this as when you switch the bike back on, the Nav will immediately be ready to use. If you switch the bike off, cancel the on screen switch off, take the Nav out of the cradle and then switch off by using the button on the rear, it will be off and the battery will not drain. You will know if the Nav was off, because when you switch it on, you get the startup screen. But if you use the Nav regularly say if on a trip and using every day, it will be fine, the battery will only go flat if its left in standby for weeks.

Thanks for all the advise .

I've spent the last few weeks not pressing the cancel on screen when l turn the bike off, and letting it switch off on its own.

Even with leaving it in the cradle on the bike.

Never has the poor satellite signal come up on the display when it's started up. Yay

Back
Top Bottom