Brake Failure Oh NO....

KP100

Reaction score
Nearly crashed tonight. Complete brake failure . 2004 1200gs.

Front lever was rock hard and would not move at all . Red triangle and fast flashing failure light. No servo sound.

Happened slowing down to enter a roundabout. Nearly Sh1t myself.

Rear still works normally and servo came on with ABS for the rear.

After I cycled the ignition, the brakes worked again but are now supper sensitive. As if the control circuit thinks I am braking twice as hard as I am.

And then cuts out completely. and fails as before.

Any pointers to where to start digging?

Have a search, yours must be one of the last 2004 bikes that still has its servo brakes still installed. Notoriously unreliable and expensive to fix so most go down the servoectomy route and save the cost and grief. There are other solutions but a search will bring them up.

You can do the basics,

Check for fouling of the levers, which can interupt the servo start sequence

Clean and reset all the microswitches, flush the- brake fluid - do a search, theres loads of threads

But chances are, your servo has or is in the throws of karking it :( .

You can attempt a rebuild, but the successs rate it not that high 20%

Alternativly for about £80 you can do a servoectomy, again do a search.

Servoectomy removes the Servo / linked brakes and ABS functions (they were an optional extra on early bikes)

you get normal,non linked, non ABS brakes which are plenty powerfull enough.

You need to do a mod on the instument binnacle to put the warning lamp to sleep as well - again do a search

Thanks. I always hated that servo system. I think this is a great opportunity to bin it.

I dont see any threads with pics on the removal process for the 1200, I assume its the same as the older 1150?

There are a few different ways to remove the abs on those bikes. Steptoe knows the best way without leaving a warning light on dash. Mark in Platinum has done a few. I’d recommend him. JJH

Tried bleeding but there is a definite mechanical foul up some where in the servo. lever stops dead and there is a click in the un powered servo.

Just a question or 2 about repluming. Is there an off the shelf kit for hoses?

On the rear, did you guys connect a pipe from these 2 unions getting rid of the solid pipe work?

IMG_20180820_121653903_HDR.jpg

Also. I need my bike for work. Is it OK to simply re plumb the brakes and leave the servo and electrical side to another day? Will it effect the running of the motorcycle?

Ahh.. got it.. Takes a while to wrap your head around the system.

BRA95966 Brake pipe
BRA73768 Adaptor
BRA50965a Splitter

Its coming together. Have to wait on parts now. And seal and mount the stripped electrical box. Will be able to mount in original place as well. Hope this all works.

IMG_20180820_133349467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180820_140323859_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180820_143945047.jpg

Back on the road. Have to say I like the feel of the new brakes.

Can do burnouts at last. :rob
Thanks for the message about fixing the dash lights Santa.. Thats next weeks project.

IMG_20180822_174132172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180824_100316779.jpg

IMG_20180824_100322186.jpg

Back on the road. Have to say I like the feel of the new brakes.

Can do burnouts at last. :rob
Thanks for the message about fixing the dash lights Santa.. Thats next weeks project.

IMG_20180822_174132172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180824_100316779.jpg

IMG_20180824_100322186.jpg

You might want to seal the plate to the back of the ECU with some silicone sealant or similar - water in there is the last thing you want

Re the lamps - you only do the flashing ones if i recall

Use a neutral cure silicone unless you want green copper inside your ECU.

My back brake seized up - apparently. It turned out the master cylinder was knackered - the sticking shuttle was not letting the brake release. A used newer type master cylinder from Sherlocks and all was good again.

Back
Top Bottom