Recommend me a NAS solution

digga

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are peeps using as a a simple to set up and use NAS?

Mycloud any good .. primarily I want to run my Sons from it plus the usual files and images storage.

TIA

I have a 2TB WD Mycloud attached to my home network and it has worked just fine. I can access videos, music, pictures and other files from Smart TV, computer and phone .
Even watched a film from it once over a hotels WiFi using a Tablet plugged into the hotel TV.

Another vote for QNAP:thumb

Loads to choose from. Perhaps don't be temped to over-spec it if you are clear on what you want to use it for?

I've used a two disk system from Synology, it's quite an old one, a DS213, which I've had for over 6 years. Both disks hold the same data, i.e. they're a back-up to each other, so if one fails the other still has all your info. It's used as my home server, and works a dream. I recently had one of the disks fail, the DS213 gave an audible warning, I just removed the faulty disk live, and just slotted in a new disk, activated it in the Synology Disk Manager menu, all the data on the good disk just copied over. No drama and all my data was safe. :)

Thanks for the above chaps...

All look good solid performers

I've used a Synology Diskstation for years and happy to recommend it.

Truth be known, I have got both Synology and QNAP. They are both extremely competent and I wouldn’t want to have to choose between them. It is just that the QNAP was the replacement for the Synology because I thought the spec looked better at the time.

There is loads on YouTube about NAS’s if you have the time ......

Another 1+ For Synology,

you can install and run media servers direct on the NAS ;)

Mine is a twin drive mirror system, so it writes the same data to both drives

Synology support the drive with regular updates , so for the moment all is good.

Th front end can be clunky, but in general it dosent give any problems

If you have an old PC to hand, then FreeNAS is quite good.

D.

Lots of faffing and setup was a pita,

For the cost of a proper NAS, a little bigger than 2x hard drive was far easier to hide in a corner

Mine’s on top of a kitchen cabinet out of view. Useful if someone unsavoury comes calling to steal laptops/TV’s and anything else that takes their fancy.

I think I am right in saying that you can configure any NAS to mirror drives or share them. It’s all in the software and I do know QNAP and Synology can do it any which way.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom