Weight of tents.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am thinking of another tent that does not require me getting on my hands and knees to comfortably get in. Especially at 62yrs old.
For example a good condition Eureka Sphinx 3-BTC at a third of retail price is for sale but, weighs 9.5Kgs dry.
You can sit on your chair inside the vestibule and even get the bike in it seems.

That is a lot compared to the tents I use now and for carrying on a motorcycle (1150gsa).
Maybe one day, I will end up with a trike or sidecar outfit when the knee joints finally expire.

What is the maximum weight of tent you have carried?

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I am thinking of another tent that does not require me getting on my hands and knees to comfortably get in. Especially at 62yrs old.
For example a good condition Eureka Sphinx 3-BTC at a third of retail price is for sale but, weighs 9.5Kgs dry.
You can sit on your chair inside the vestibule and even get the bike in it seems.

That is a lot compared to the tents I use now and for carrying on a motorcycle (1150gsa).
Maybe one day, I will end up with a trike or sidecar outfit when the knee joints finally expire.

Are you carrying a pillion? If not then the back seat can handle a tent up to 120kg :thumb2. :D

It’s not the weight that bothers me as much as the sheer bulk of a bigger sized tent when it’s strapped on the bike, usually on top of another roll bag containing sleeping bag, air bed, stoves and food.

Current tent is the Robens Green Cone and weighs around 5kg. Sits on the pillion in a dry bag. More info here ... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/479664-robens-lakeshore-tent?highlight=cone

On a recent trip, my pal had a much cheaper but similar weight Coleman tent with a little less headroom in the vestibule. (Pic attached.)Also on the pillion seat. He also had a duvet, pillow and air mattress and camping chair! Strangely enough, his bike looked pretty similar to mine in terms of bulk / loads!

While abroad, we came across a couple of Dutch cyclists with one of these https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/3-Person/Chapel-L-XT-3P?number=128234510

A bit complicated to put up but probably the best combination of space / headroom and quality that I've seen. They carried it between them on their two bikes.

Attachments

• Camp1.jpg
    Camp1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 478
I’ve carried a tent and a pillion no problem. Tent about 10 kilos. 5 man comfortable for 3. JJH

I like the look of that Vaude tent but I must resist or sell a few of the ones I already own to pay for it :blast

just got one of these at 68 i have the same problem pissed off doing everything on me hands and knees.
https://www.khyam.co.uk/tents-c174/berth-c175/3-4-berth-c176/biker-plus-p6 with the footprint around 9.5 kg
Packs the same size as the standard biker just a bigger diameter with all the rest of me parrots & carrots goes on the bike easy.
KIN ELL that Vaude is reassuringly expensive:eek::eek:

Like others have said, if your not carrying a pillion then it will strap to the seat, if your going to buy one then I would look for a model that has ally poles, not for the weight advantage but their a lot easier to use than the fibre glass ones. I also use an air bed, £10 from most retailers, comfy as feck and packs small and flat.
The only drawback to the larger tents I've found is they generally take longer to erect and especially in the rain by yourself + When it comes to taking the thing down and it's raining you generally end up pissed wet through, then have to get on the bike and ride to the next stop just to do it all again :blast

BUT when knees must :thumb

Generally speaking the lighter the tent for a given size and waterproofness the more expensive it gets. JJH

just got one of these at 68 i have the same problem pissed off doing everything on me hands and knees.

KIN ELL that Vaude is reassuringly expensive:eek::eek:

£440 is the cheapest I've seen after a couple of searches. If I'd seen it before I got the Green Cone, I'd have thought long and hard. You get what you pay for. The only reservation would be stability in a high wind but extra guys would cope with that.

https://www.addnature.co.uk/vaude-chapel-l-xt-3p-tent-green-760063.html

I bought one of these about 5 years ago after seeing a German couple on a GS use one at the Ardmair campsite.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/1040...iii-rt-3-person-tent--dark-moss.aspx#infospec

Lived in it on week long winter fishing trips, doing all cooking and sitting out long dark nights with no problem.
Height is perfect for sitting upright in a chair with inches of space above.

The steep sides and fitted skirts mean all space is useful space, so no tapering down to nothing.

I can tell for a fact that this tent is made for Jack Wolfskin by Vaude, I have owned a couple of Vaude and just know them!

Weighs in at just under 5 kilos, pack size is very small compared to the Vango Equinox it replaced, and the bag is a very heavy duty, waterproof roll top affair.

Unless you are literally looking at walking in without even stooping your head, I doubt you will get a better quality tent for the money.

But beware how big you go, as they do start to become a bit of a handful on multiple pitch trips.

This is the tent i use; on my own ; or sometimes with the Mrs. Part of the Terra Nova designs; room to stand in the tent; or in the porch; just one main pole over the top; and 2 small end poles; packs small; and weighs 4 k. Check out Zyphros 3 on u tube. At this price it's a steal.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180819-161740.jpg
    Screenshot_20180819-161740.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 426
We have a Redverz Expedition 2. Great headroom and a nice roomy sleeping compartment. Easy up and easy down too, but its a 3 to 4-manner really so perhaps a bit big for just one. A couple of observations on big tents: they are surprisingly colder than smaller tents; they also seem to get more condensation although that could just be because they have loads more fabric...which also means they can be difficult to put up and down, especially when its windy, and if the tent is wet (and it will be - see condensation point) you get soaked while you get it into the stuff sack. Finally you still live your life on the floor when camping whatever size of tent you have, unless you bring along a camping chair, a table, a high camp bed, and something to keep the rest of your gear off the ground. Bending over and kneeling to do stuff when camping is a fact of life as far I am concerned. Nevertheless its nice to be able to stand up under the cover of the tent especially when its raining, windy or cold.

Hi just been on a 3 week trip around Europe 2s up with a Galaxy 300 tent weight is 6.5kg worked fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to buy the Eureka Sphinx 3-BTC at £200; collected. So riding up to get it Wednesday.

It is in my opinion a wee bit heavy from my other tents but, for convenience it ticks some boxes.

The first tryout is rally weekends in UK. If I feel it is too much of a weight gain (don’t mention my girth) for much longer tours, I’ll use my mountain tent for the eu.

This is what I use, if I am on my own, or with one other sharing I can still take my camp bed, table, stool and blow up armchair.
Older design and type but it is very roomy and plenty of head height.

I would say that it would easily take 3 camp beds, bedside stools and all the gear going under the bed no problem.

https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/mens/004590-eurohike-cairns-5-man-deluxe-tent.html

Mr. T,
That tent is big for the price but, would not rely on it for long term use or for camping in the middle of winter.
Tents go from £100 to £1,000 depending on what you want to spend. Need it for and life expectancy.

I still remember well in my teens the time I went to the St NIck rally in Oostende, December with my tent and sleeping bag from Woolies. Ice and cold winds ensured I did not sleep well at all.

Mr. T,
That tent is big for the price but, would not rely on it for long term use or for camping in the middle of winter.

Yea I realise that but this old fart (retired) has no intention of being out in the cold....................................... that's wot hotels are for! ........................... longevity, well, that's a good excuse to view the latest kit! ( cheap stuff of course ) :lol

Back
Top Bottom