2004 R1200 GS with USB gs-911 diagnostic reader Servo Brake Bleed HELP

iangough

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Andover,Hampshire, Caleta De Fuste, Fuerteventura
Hello All,

Right, long story short.

Steptoe (Neil) Used to service my bike. All good, every time, obviously never a complaint.

I now live in Fuerteventura after a radical life change. (was an ex Operations Director for an IT company just outside London)

Been here two months. My 120k Miler 2004 GS arrived somewhat sideways in the crate. WITH THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER CABLE TIED DOWN. Been in the crate for just over 6 months. (Move was delayed)
Long story.

After bending back pannier and exhaust brackets, I went for a little test ride on truly amazing roads.
Then red triangle light on dash came on when slowing down. And would not go off until I turned off the ignition

Connected GS-911 and it said that brake fluid level is low. Cleared the error using GS-911. Went away for a bit, then came back and now it's on all the time. Brakes are as sharp as ever, last time brakes were bled was about 6 years ago. Never had any issues with brakes at all until now. Still on original disks and 2nd set of pads. Not bad for 120k Miles.

Went to the only motorcycle shop on the island, and they said take it to your nearest BMW dealer. Where's that, Oh next door, in Gran Canaria. (Oh the island next door FFS!)

Anyway, No bleed kits here.

So, I have managed to get a little piece of tubing about 2metres long. This is my bleed kit.

My plea for help is:

1. Are there instructions at "dummy +" level on how to bleed servo brakes.

2. How do I identify the abs loop and the braking loop and the associated things to stick my one hose to when bleeding. (My haynes manual says take it to the dealer!)

3. Is the bleeding a definite 2 stage process, or can i bleed straight through.?

4. The GS-911 has a brake bleed option or something like that. Does anyone know how this works? (Looked on GS-911 website, and did not find anything)

5. Is it definitely a low fluid level as both the reservoirs are full with lovely clear/clean fluid ?

6. I know it's a long shot, but, Is there anyone coming over to Fuerteventura that could spend some time out and help me (bring a bleed kit) This option can be explored if necessary. i.e. long weekend, stay at mine, work on bike, get food and drink free

There is a youtube video showing an RT servo brake bleed, but that seemed somewhat complicated unless I'm being somewhat thick !

Many Thanks, Sorry for the long absence, my life has been turned upside down in the last 18 months.

Ian

Has the low fluid fault returned after you cleared it?
Bleeding the servo brakes isn't straight forward unless you are used to doing it and have the gear.
If you intend to stay where you are and keep the bike i recommend you ditch the servo as detailed many times on here as it will save you a lot of mither in the long run.

If you've a low brake fluid level warning then take the petrol tank off and check the two reservoirs in the ABS modulator. On this system you bleed from the master cylinders to the ABS modulator (three nipples each for front and rear) then from the modulator to the calipers. There is an article somewhere written by a South African called NickV that illustrates the sequence.

5. Is it definitely a low fluid level as both the reservoirs are full with lovely clear/clean fluid ?

Ian

Hi Ian - the fluid in the modulator reservoirs are low, not the lever reservoirs. You'll need to remove the petrol tank and fill them up. No need to do anything else until you've done that, then see if it's all ok before you start getting to involved. If the bike was on its side or fell over during transportation it would've spilt brake fluid out of the modulator overflow pipes.

Hi Ian - the fluid in the modulator reservoirs are low, not the lever reservoirs. You'll need to remove the petrol tank and fill them up. No need to do anything else until you've done that, then see if it's all ok before you start getting to involved. If the bike was on its side or fell over during transportation it would've spilt brake fluid out of the modulator overflow pipes.

ok thanks, I'll do this this afternoon. Will report back. Seems like the path of least resistance.

Neil, (Steptoe)

Thanks very much. Red triangle off. Result. It was the front, it took about 50ml in total. quite a lot i though.

Off for a ride later, when it cools down !

ukgser strikes again. I wish I had more knowledge so I could pay back the enormous amount of help I have had from here in the last 14 years. Remember the days of the bmw nav 2. People posting routes to upload to mapsource. That got me doing 60k miles around France 2up over the last decade...

Anyway, thanks again....

ok, the story is not over. My thanks are sincere above, but my celebrations were premature...

so topped up both reservoirs under the tank (front seemed fine btw). I used a funnel and every time i pressed the back brake, a big bubble came to the top (out of the funnel) kept doing it until bubbles stopped. about 50ml worth of dot4
Then started it on centre stand. Then pulled front brake, all ok. Pushed the back brake with my hand, and it worked fine. did it again and the servo suddenly stopped. Now i just hear a click.
When the bike turns on and does its self test, i can only hear one of the servos whizzing. The other one just clicks (no it is not the brake light switch, albeit a similar sound). Bled rear brake (wheel end, only just a little) but nothing has helped.

Have i somehow managed to knacker the servo or the control unit.
The GS-911 saqys everything is ok.

When i ride it, the front dips when i pull the front brake which implies the dual brakes are not working.The red triangle comes on again. Not sure that covers it as I have tried so many things now, i will have a fresh look tomorrow.

I know I have an option of disabling the whole servo thing, but im not quite there yet, and given that im struggling here, im not sure i want to go radical just yet with servoless brakes.

Any ideas on what i can try next ?

Looking for logic, as my brain is frazzled from the heat. Im going to start measuring motorcycle maintenance in how many litres of water you need to drink whilst doing it !!! Today's efforts, 4 litres and one nap. !

My mrs is flying back to England tomorrow for 6 days, so i might have to get her to buy a part for me if i can diagnose what the problem is

If you press and hold the rear brake lever the servo switches off. It only does it on the rear brake and only on the GS model. , it's so the servo doesn't run continuously if using and holding the rear brake while off road or a hill start .

If you press and hold the rear brake lever the servo switches off. It only does it on the rear brake and only on the GS model. , it's so the servo doesn't run continuously if using and holding the rear brake while off road or a hill start .

Every day is a school day. Valuable info. there Steppers :thumb2

God, just written a whole synopsis and tapatalk crashed.
So whats next after this error whilst bike is running. Both bleed tests passed btw
e9b7f859b1111d23f0e2915a84fff4a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have you Seen this thread yet.

http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Brake bleeding (All BMW EVO systems, '04-'07).pdf

I know you mentioned the 911 indicated both bleed tests were passed but if the fluid hasn’t been changed in a while then it would probably be very worthwhile anyway.

It’s a lot easier than it reads when you first scan the link. If you can’t hear the rear circuit servo power up at all, then it might just be sticking. It would be worth giving the servo a tap with a hammer shaft or head of a large screwdriver as I have heard of this working before to free up a sticking motor / brush pack.

Anyway good luck, let us know how you get on

Have you Seen this thread yet.

http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Brake bleeding (All BMW EVO systems, '04-'07).pdf

I know you mentioned the 911 indicated both bleed tests were passed but if the fluid hasn’t been changed in a while then it would probably be very worthwhile anyway.

It’s a lot easier than it reads when you first scan the link. If you can’t hear the rear circuit servo power up at all, then it might just be sticking. It would be worth giving the servo a tap with a hammer shaft or head of a large screwdriver as I have heard of this working before to free up a sticking motor / brush pack.

Anyway good luck, let us know how you get on
Thanks duds, i will give it a try with a blunt instrument tomorrow. My mrs said she could smell something burning just after the servo finally gave up, so not holding up much hope. However, i am desperate.
Sorry, Could not open the link though. Not sure whether it will work on my laptop. Will give it a try in the morning..

Tapping with a hammer is often suggested for the 2007-onwards ABS as a way of freeing off sticking brushes. The OP has the earlier servo-assisted setup which, as far as I'm aware, is completely different.

Being honest Its fucked

De Servo the bike or buy a new servo unit!

there's a couple of links I put in this thread

KP100 has done the hard work and has the part numbers You "might" need further down (I haven;t done a 1200 hexhead "yet" to know if there is another way) and has come up with a tidier way of Sealing the Electronics box

Bottom line is either its new and it will be sorted or you will be fiddling about and tinkering wondering if the bastard is going to go again!

Believe me, the thought of Residual brakes when I NEED them ..... Servo out for me!!

Ok thanks all. I will have to de servo the bike and try and get my mrs to obtain the parts i need in the uk. She is there atm for 5 more days.

You need two parts, the rear non abs solid brake line, available from any bmw dealer.
And a piece of copper brake pipe about 4 inches in length ( costs £10-£12 for 25 feet :D) for the front bypass, use the two brake pipe nuts from the pipe you're removing.

Tapping with a hammer is often suggested for the 2007-onwards ABS as a way of freeing off sticking brushes. The OP has the earlier servo-assisted setup which, as far as I'm aware, is completely different.

Spot on - Duds is adding confusion to the matter, this usually happens when people pick up snippets of info from the internet but have no actual experience of what they offering "advice" on = aka internet mechanic. :D

Back
Top Bottom