Remus cans - is this right?

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Alright everyone,

I was looking over my bike earlier when I noticed the clamp to the Y piece was loose...no...rotted and snapped. No biggie, just mic it up and buy a replacement.

Whilst doing so, I discovered that the front band around the can is one big, oval, jubilee clip. I would have expected it to be riveted on. Does this mean someone’s been in the can at some point (perhaps to shove more wadding in and solving the mystery as to why it’s so quiet!)?

So two things.

Firstly, can anyone tell me if the big band holding the front of the can together is correct?

514afe3a7941a5268223c735e2213967.jpg

430c42ebea79d8ededf5f4c255840a21.jpg

149412f10ca857ab796ae37b97718311.jpg

2573b56e400bb98a7b63f1f9bcdaf623.jpg

Secondly, the broken clamp is stamped ‘MPC 48-5’. Is this a ‘standard’ GS clamp which has been reused, a Remus one or another generic one?

dcd296291fad289e14204ef9de61aedd.jpg

511f9a487278958bd0ff65dd9837cd15.jpg

Thanks in advance
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

That is an aftermarket clamp, looked on ebay and you can find them there. Mikalor W4 are a good replacement and cheaper on ebay.

Mine is riveted as you can see on this picture.
de5bfbf056f5195c55dc0627d781bed7.jpg

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Cheers bud,

I’ve ordered a clamp (47-51mm) - really appreciate you pointing me in that direction!

That front band is more of a mystery now.... incidentally, is the outlet on yours as chunky as it is on mine?

I’m inclined to source a standard can and take the Remus apart to see if it could be re-riveted and what’s going on inside....

Cheers bud,

I’ve ordered a clamp (47-51mm) - really appreciate you pointing me in that direction!

That front band is more of a mystery now.... incidentally, is the outlet on yours as chunky as it is on mine?

I’m inclined to source a standard can and take the Remus apart to see if it could be re-riveted and what’s going on inside....

No worries.

Do you mean the actual exhaust outlet? Yours looks a bit strange as if it's been modified however it could just be the picture. It should be smooth.

Seems like they took the rivets out of yours to pack it and then just went the easy/bodge route with a big jubilee?

Mine’s far from smooth - the actual outlet looks very chunky and has a brushed (or , with hindsight, filed) finish....

ba19b8ca6ba75d0f9a60d0b758653ce4.jpg

1845b43420acbd3d64b1683bcf7340f9.jpg

f571327c615632e9ad44ed9e0544bb96.jpg

I think it’s safe to say this can has had some work done. I said it was bloody quiet!

Has someone fitted an extra baffle then ground down the welding?

b0052872f9501bf735ee1d00a0dd2e70.jpg

Yeah defo some shenanigans gone on there.

This is my one.
bc6251c2be283d2418ba7c5144a14a3c.jpg

Really appreciate the help!

Could I ask one favour? Could you please photograph it outlet-end on? I want to check, but I think yours has a gap between the inner perforated baffle and outer chrome/titanium outlet, whereas mine seems ‘filled in’.

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Really appreciate the help!

Could I ask one favour? Could you please photograph it outlet-end on? I want to check, but I think yours has a gap between the inner perforated baffle and outer chrome/titanium outlet, whereas mine seems ‘filled in’.

Curiouser and curiouser.....

I will do that for you tomorrow certainly. My garage isn't local but I'll be heading there tomorrow so I'll take a couple of snaps.

Brilliant, thank you!

I’m away until Weds so may not immediately respond, but thanks in advance!

Mike,

It certainly looks like someone has tried a DIY repair/rebuild on your one!

Here are some pics of my Remus Titanium end section. One taken with flash, so hopefully you can see the standard (minimal) "baffle" inside...

Cheers,
Dom
20180823_151531~2.jpeg20180823_151554~2.jpeg20180823_151611~2.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Some Remus cans have riveted bands, but not a large jubilee clip, that's just nasty.

I'd be looking to put on a stainless clip rather that have something which looks crap and rusty after one winter, you having to buy one anyway, so for an extra few quid I'd get one which stayed shinny.

James

2018-05-31_19.04.38.jpg

I’ll have to see what state the rivet holes in the sleeve are in when I split it. Then there’s the question of wtf has been done to the end cap - that filling and grinding flat is very, very strange.

It works for now so I’ll just have to leave it alone until I take the bike off the road for winter!

....and if anyone has any suggestions as to why it was bodged in this way, let me know, because I’m....... baffled!

This is hypothetical and nothing more ;)

Because i dont know where you bought it, or bought from - so theres no finger pointing or dollys being thrown ;)

Just because it says Remus on the Tin, dosent mean its Remus in the tin ;)

It could be a blemished remus which has had a light tart or very badly blemished and reimagined (An astra box in a new cover;) )

Be aware that if someone has done some fettialisation, it may be very restricted which will have an effect on performance, and could do other

damage upstream.

I agree with everything you said mate! I’ve just checked - what seems to be ‘filler’ is actually solid metal.

Unfortunately, finances mean I’ll have to leave it as-is for the next couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom