AFR of 26 !

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my mates AFR meter on the bike today.. 26- 27 at tickover!.... 15.5-16 when I added some revs... these things run far to lean...
14.7 being optimum... :eek:

Had my mates AFR meter on the bike today.. 26- 27 at tickover!.... 15.5-16 when I added some revs... these things run far to lean...
14.7 being optimum... :eek:

Yes, they do run very lean. Whether or not it's too lean is a matter of opinion. Gone are the days when manufacturers considered that a stoichiometric ratio was the right way to go.

Yes but is that to allow you to use these bikes at high altitude and super hot climates, without bogging down?

Gives you flexibility on use, as well as poor fuel grades.

Rather than performance in a single environment

Yes but is that to allow you to use these bikes at high altitude and super hot climates, without bogging down?

Gives you flexibility on use, as well as poor fuel grades.

Rather than performance in a single environment

Would that be bad for the engine in the uk long term tho

Differences in altitude are catered for with atmospheric pressure sensor which will adjust the fueling to suit the conditions, the lean burn is purely to comply with legislation.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

If it really had an AFR of 26 it would not run at all...thanks to the assholes in Brussels...EU-5 from 2021-on will even be worse making the engines run even leaner,quieter and "temper-proof"...:eek:

.....making the engines run even leaner,quieter and "temper-proof"...:eek:

It would be great if all engines were "temper [sic] proof". I think you mean 'tamper proof'. I'm not sure why you think Euro 6 will mean that no modifications are possible. It's still possible to remap Euro 6 cars.

That reading is incorrect. Where was the probe installed?

I think it was in the top outlet of the exhaust... It runs, so I guess it can't be right... but more the 15.5-16 on revs?... didn't put much in on acceleration either?

A reliable AFR reading needs to be measured ahead of the cat.

Thats the problem with cats, they never stay still...

Thats the problem with cats, they never stay still...

thats the problem... we don't have a cat... just the dog

yes.. chose what it says... its off the France Monday AM :)

Before or ahead of, the same difference. That's where you need to measure it. Your AFR, whether you measure it or not, will be 14.7:1 (or more correctly lambda=1) ahead of the cat unless something is broken.

Do you not mean before the cat?

I have to admit I am on thin ice here, this being my second language.

In my mind, using before/after is used when describing a sequence of things to do, like as in filling gas before riding, and washing the bike after a ride.
Ahead of something would be a position, similar to "in front of", and opposite to behind. But I guess the expressions are used in mixed settings...

Yes I know, knit-picking and all...…….:friday

And that was the best thing you could find to do on a sunny Sunday??

:blast

No.. the gauge was out because we are fitting a blower to his 5Ltr V8 Griff... hes getting about 450 BHP from the car now and its mental (Ihave the same car, bit of work and its 320 bhp). so just tried it to see where it was seeing as I was on the bike....
Strange thing is.. thr TVR Griff has a cat.. and we both get 14.7 at the exhaust....

Back
Top Bottom