Stickiest tyres for stock wheels

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m lucky to have two sets of wheels for my GS, on my spokes I run STRs which are a perfect compromise for me but I want a set of total road tyres for my alloys that I can trackday on, I was thinking of the new road 5s from Michelin but open to suggestions.

I’m lucky to have two sets of wheels for my GS, on my spokes I run STRs which are a perfect compromise for me but I want a set of total road tyres for my alloys that I can trackday on, I was thinking of the new road 5s from Michelin but open to suggestions.

Just running a set on mine , great tyre totally different profile to standard more like a sports tyre shape than the usual.

See post 16 " time for a new heading"

A mate of mine has the R5s on his triumph, you can really see the dual compound on the rear, my concern would be on a trackday would all those grooves for the rain over heat on track like wets do in the dry?

Not sure but im doing a test in spain in two weeks so the temps will be higher and also the riding more consistant over a longer distance , not track day stuff but will still get hammered all day over 5 days 12 to 1400 miles.
The out side edge is solid so I would hope corner wear will be better and not rip up to much , centre section , not sure but not a cut a say the RT01 . Other tyres seem to have grooves all over .
The Conti 3 looks more solid in the centre but side cut so the sides may over heat as you put it on hard cornering plus a rounder profile .
The PR5 seems to have a high profile and deep slope sides , more similar to a sport tyre.

Looking at my mates R5s the sides of the rear looks like they have done a trackday, you can see a marked step between the two compounds, and they have fluffed up a fair bit, they’ve done about 3000miles now. I’ve been really impressed with the STRs on the road but I think the big blocks would overheat on the track.

Hmmm, you are not going to run out of tyre on a GS (by that I mean run off the edge of the tyre). Ground clearance and talent yes but not tyres. Fit what is recommended on here. Just one thing to take into consideration. PR4/5 have sipes, these things helps not only with water dispersal but also heats the tyre up more quickly. The movement this creates might be unsettling if you can feel it through the bars and seat but have faith, you have lots of traction. Otherwise get a tyre with less grooves or without sipes and preferably no grooves on the edge. If it is going to be a wet day, PR4/5 every time.

Somebody will be along shortly to tell me I'm talking bollocks. In that case please enlighten the readers of this thread.

Hmmm, you are not going to run out of tyre on a GS (by that I mean run off the edge of the tyre). Ground clearance and talent yes but not tyres. Fit what is recommended on here. Just one thing to take into consideration. PR4/5 have sipes, these things helps not only with water dispersal but also heats the tyre up more quickly. The movement this creates might be unsettling if you can feel it through the bars and seat but have faith, you have lots of traction. Otherwise get a tyre with less grooves or without sipes and preferably no grooves on the edge. If it is going to be a wet day, PR4/5 every time.

Somebody will be along shortly to tell me I'm talking bollocks. In that case please enlighten the readers of this thread.

I agree with all of that, the R5s were top of my list, just concerned that the sipes may lead to over heating.

Looking at my mates R5s the sides of the rear looks like they have done a trackday, you can see a marked step between the two compounds, and they have fluffed up a fair bit, they’ve done about 3000miles now. I’ve been really impressed with the STRs on the road but I think the big blocks would overheat on the track.

Well they are doing there job then , I say a worn tyre shows the rubber is working , a long life tyre rubber may be a harder compound.
I normally run conti TA2 tyres and they have great grip but the side as you say are blocky and do start to squirm when hot and pushed , I normally get 1500 ( Spain ) miles out of the front and still manage to ride home but binned after , the rear still okay but worn.
Im hoping the PR5 will offer that extra grip for the roads I will riding which are twisty so hard braking , fast exists , technical possibly similar to Cadwell Park , as they have solid sides not cut .
I will soon find out tho.

To be honest the new 5 does not move much at all , very very little even under extreme braking.
The solid side must be a bonus as no cuts , oh im not saying your talk bollox at all , just what im findingwith the new tyres fitted:thumb:thumb

I've done a couple of trackdays, Cadwell Park in the rain and a dry Brands Indy, on my GSA (2007) on Dunlop Trailsmarts and they were excellent (considering the conditions), especially in the rain. :D

If you want sticky tyres have a look and see whats available in the right size but metzler RR or something along those lines will be way stickier than PR5

I think we're pretty limited on sizes , so that why i'm trying the PR5 as its a 2CT tyre with the softer sides and harder middle .
the 170 rear is limited in matched pairs as the fronts a 19"

Conti Road Attack 3 :thumb2
The Michelin PR5 steer slower (according to some magazines like PS who rated the 10 year old Pilot Power 2 CT higher as quicker steering and better grip then the all new PR5) and if you look at the sipes in the center of the front tire they will be useless on a dry track day;squirm hard on brakes and overheat quickly...The PR5 is more a wet weather/touring tire.

Conti Road Attack 3 :thumb2
The Michelin PR5 steer slower (according to some magazines like PS who rated the 10 year old Pilot Power 2 CT higher as quicker steering and better grip then the all new PR5) and if you look at the sipes in the center of the front tire they will be useless on a dry track day;squirm hard on brakes and overheat quickly...The PR5 is more a wet weather/touring tire.

I tested the CR3 and found the rear lazy and the bike suffered ( for me ) on flick abilty , and changed them back for the TA2 . I'm real life testing the New PR5and find they seem so quick to turn its surprising , it falls into the corners.
With the 2ct compound and 35% limited wet weather pattern lean angle the tyre becomes sporty at the sides and I hope will give a sportier tyre for the Gs.
The previous PR4 had a different tread design with more cuts.
Under hard braking the new pattern (front ) copes really well and does not squirm and even when trailing the front in on a late corner.
Lets hope this is a move forward for the limited choice we have.
I have tried Anaki 3 , Nexts , TA2, CR3 and RT01 which is a fair spread ( never tried the DUN RS as had them before and didn't like the feel , was the 2 version tho so I cant comment on these) and so far find the PR5 so different in the right way. Lets see how I get on over the next month.

I'm sure the OP is going to feel the slower steering of whatever tyre he chooses being the track day god he is :blast

Cadwell is of such nature that there is not enough long sweeping corners to overheat a tyre if it was up to us regular folk. However, Silverstone and Snetterton are a different matter ..... and I did manage to get a PR2 (remember those) to start breaking up on the edge :D on an R1100S :eek:

So, go and enjoy the day out on track. Worry not too much about tyres, concentrate on being smooth and accurate, drink lots of (hydrating) fluid and don't eat to much at one time (lots of little snacks). You will have a great time and post some pictures on here. Makes me a bit jealous.

Cadwell brings back some good memories. It was where I popped my cherrie. Then there was this day I was following a guy dressed in full Fiat Yamaha kit with VR46 logo and R1 to match. It was surreal following Rossi :D

Thanks for all the advice, the last GS I trackdayed was an old F800GS and that was on K60s at snetterton! I've always liked pirellis and was hoping they did a diablo in the GS sizes but I can only see the scorpion? I'm no track god like you say but I've done a few ;) over the last 30 years, I just have the oppotunity to fit the stickiest available as I have two sets of wheels. I have used the old Conti road attack at donington and even the old Bridgestone 010s at croft but never a Michelin or a dunlop.

Back
Top Bottom