2010-2013 Hexhead GSA or LC GSA For Hot Weather use in Southern Spain / Morocco?

flyinggibbon

Reaction score
So, as a result of work I'll be spending a lot more time in the promised land and want a big tanked bike I can explore Southern Spain and get into Morocco with as it's only an hour and a half from my base to Tangier.

I love shaft drive, currently have an old Honda NTV 650 as my in country ride, but it doesn't cut it when you stick SWMBO and associated panniers on it for a weekend away. Tire choice might edge down to 50/50 but will start with an 80/20 and see how that handles the trails in the Rif before trading the tarmac handling of an 80/20. I've a friendly dealer in the UK who can source me either a Hexhead or LC on used approved, so, my decision on which type will be dependent on which is best in the heat of summer. Does anyone have a preference and why?

Personally, I'm thinking a late model hex-head is the way forward, but that's cos I like the slightly rougher engine and honestly with my skills would struggle to note the difference the extra torque and hp give, cos my green light drag racing days or behind me...

Thanks in advance...

So, as a result of work I'll be spending a lot more time in the promised land and want a big tanked bike I can explore Southern Spain and get into Morocco with as it's only an hour and a half from my base to Tangier.

I love shaft drive, currently have an old Honda NTV 650 as my in country ride, but it doesn't cut it when you stick SWMBO and associated panniers on it for a weekend away. Tire choice might edge down to 50/50 but will start with an 80/20 and see how that handles the trails in the Rif before trading the tarmac handling of an 80/20. I've a friendly dealer in the UK who can source me either a Hexhead or LC on used approved, so, my decision on which type will be dependent on which is best in the heat of summer. Does anyone have a preference and why?

Personally, I'm thinking a late model hex-head is the way forward, but that's cos I like the slightly rougher engine and honestly with my skills would struggle to note the difference the extra torque and hp give, cos my green light drag racing days or behind me...

Thanks in advance...

Like this one ?

GSA triple black 2012 16k miles
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=489374&share_type=t

I don't know about the LC version but I find my 2011 GSA very hot in hot weather. Mainly as the screen is so big that not enough air gets round/past to really make a difference. I wear a Klim Badlands Pro with vents all open, and cuffs and collar loose. I cant imagine the LC GSA being much different. This summer I have also ridden a Triumph Speed triple with just a tiny flyscreen - the difference in the volume of air going through the jacket's vents is amazing. So much so its almost a cold ride even when the temperature was over 25c. Whichever you decide on I would be cutting the big screen down for long term use in hot weather.

I don't know about the LC version but I find my 2011 GSA very hot in hot weather. Mainly as the screen is so big that not enough air gets round/past to really make a difference. I wear a Klim Badlands Pro with vents all open, and cuffs and collar loose. I cant imagine the LC GSA being much different. This summer I have also ridden a Triumph Speed triple with just a tiny flyscreen - the difference in the volume of air going through the jacket's vents is amazing. So much so its almost a cold ride even when the temperature was over 25c. Whichever you decide on I would be cutting the big screen down for long term use in hot weather.

This is getting closer to the info I need, does the LC run cooler than the hexhead, is the million $ question?

Really good point about the screen, food for thought, might look at fabbing a fly screen a la naked bike further down the track, thanks...

Thanks in advance...

Do you think the title for your thread might need a tweak ?

Perhaps .. ‘ I’m going to Spain’

Like a newspaper headline.. ‘shocker windshield shields from wind’

Buy a KTM !

Snigger, erm no to the KTM, just no, have been through that decision tree and I'd rather a DRZ 400 than a KTM if I was going that way, as at least you have a kicker and a subframe that can take a fat-lad and his clobber....

So, back to the GSA question, does an LC run cooler than a HexHead...

I don't know about the LC version but I find my 2011 GSA very hot in hot weather. Mainly as the screen is so big that not enough air gets round/past to really make a difference.

I've recently fitted a short screen on my 2012 GS for that very reason Austin - it's lovely to ride in warm weather now with lots of air flowing through vents on helmets and jacket

Really good point about the screen, food for thought, might look at fabbing a fly screen a la naked bike further down the track, thanks...

there's a few out there to chose from so no need to fab one up, unless you really want to that is :)

I have a Hex in South Barcelona (Olivella).

I don't really notice the engine heat changing much on the hot (ter) days, maybe a bar on the instrument cluster. It surprised me in fact when I was struck in Montpellier traffic at 34 degrees, crawling and still didn't see the engine get any hotter than normal.

So can't comment on LC, but the hex will be fine (and cheaper :)...)

I don't really notice the engine heat changing much on the hot (ter) days, maybe a bar on the instrument cluster. It surprised me in fact when I was struck in Montpellier traffic at 34 degrees, crawling and still didn't see the engine get any hotter than normal.

Finally, the answer Gotham needs! Brilliant, first hand relevant info, thanks! I thought the LC might have an edge, but if it's not noticeable really on a HexHead, prob not worth spending the extra $ for an LC...

Finally, the answer Gotham needs! Brilliant, first hand relevant info, thanks! I thought the LC might have an edge, but if it's not noticeable really on a HexHead, prob not worth spending the extra $ for an LC...

Interesting, as whenever I use mine in proper hot climates the oil temp gauge soon rises to the top of normal or even one bar above in slow traffic. As long as I can keep moving it doesnt get any hotter, but the engine becomes a lumpy mess that doesn't want to tickover, stalls easily and is so tight with the extra heat the starter struggles to turn it over for a restart (or the starter is so hot it has high resistance and won't turn over properly :nenau.) . There's also waves of heat rising from the engine when stationary or going very slowly.

Ha ha, for every yin there's a yang, that's what makes these forums so fun!

Having run both a TC and an LC across Namibia, either will be fine but do agree that above 35c the TC does become a little more lumpy (no experience of the LC in these temps). Depending on the sort of riding you will be doing very much depends on which one I would prefer. If you will get into loose stuff then the LC is easier to handle with awesome electronics which really do work.

However, for me I much prefer the TC as it is simpler and I prefer the feel of a throttle that is physically attached to the throttle bodies.

Interesting, as whenever I use mine in proper hot climates the oil temp gauge soon rises to the top of normal or even one bar above in slow traffic. As long as I can keep moving it doesnt get any hotter, but the engine becomes a lumpy mess that doesn't want to tickover, stalls easily and is so tight with the extra heat the starter struggles to turn it over for a restart (or the starter is so hot it has high resistance and won't turn over properly :nenau.) . There's also waves of heat rising from the engine when stationary or going very slowly.

I agree completely with this post, the Lc has a more stable engine temp, this is from experience..

Having had both , the lc would be better in hot climates, the modes do help with softer,/ quicker throttle if needed, its screen also drops right down for airflow over the rider, and lower cg helps balance,
The drivetrain / fd is more robust, lc gs are going for comparable prices,

This is, pretty much my experience of the TC in 40 degree plus temps. whether cruising or crawling in traffic.
I have seen the temp. gauge go into the red a time or two without any apparent problem.

This is, pretty much my experience of the TC in 40 degree plus temps. whether cruising or crawling in traffic.
I have seen the temp. gauge go into the red a time or two without any apparent problem.
That about bears out my experience also , Death Valley at nearer 50c than 40c ------ to under - 10 c not had any issues with my TC .

Back
Top Bottom