Brake pad wear at the rear...

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I thought I would share this as a bit of a exercise.

My dealer back in March told me that by the time my GSA will reach 12k mile service, “it will be screaming” for a new set of rear pads. So here we are. Since I have a day of work, I decided I would service K&N air filter a clean before bike goes in for a service and would give a bike once over.

While filter drying after being washed, I pulled out new pads I purchased a few weeks back from a said dealer at a whopping discounted price of £66, ready to install them. To my surprise, well you lot can tell me and be a judge here.......

Bike mileage and riding mode I ride in 90% of the time.
103e3dd1ec0b4f7ce7a3f5a4c7c5886c.jpg

New pads still in the packet....
2b800a25414ad755efbb76d67f2351dd.jpg

Old pads I pulled out....
66dfbc5a9c2a8a7adc63531938e2035e.jpg

Gave them a little brush down and created out the grooves....
a94dc74576f53f0751aaef9d973c4e99.jpg

Now in my humble opinion, these will last me another 6k miles if not longer. It is recommended to change them when groves are no longer present, and these pads are only ⅔ of the way worn.

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear brake & more...

You done good. Read my thread about rear brake wear.
On Tuesday I went to my dealers to pick up my bike. It had been repaired under warrantee (this time - it's yet to go back to have a LOAD more done) with a replacement rear calliper, rear brake disk and pads (the FOURTH set in 10000miles!) It also got a new rubber concertina "boot" on the final drive, just in front of the axle.

Its booked in to have replacement side & centre stands, crash bars (and various bolts/washers) as well as a new ENGINE.

Imagine my dismay when this morning, while fixing a puncture, I saw the state of the final drive (pictured)

More arguments with the service department would be on the horizon were it not for the fact that (having caused so much naus) I have reasonable rapport with the MD... But It'll probably still be a fight!

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 1,048
On Tuesday I went to my dealers to pick up my bike. It had been repaired under warrantee (this time - it's yet to go back to have a LOAD more done) with a replacement rear calliper, rear brake disk and pads (the FOURTH set in 10000miles!) It also got a new rubber concertina "boot" on the final drive, just in front of the axle.

Its booked in to have replacement side & centre stands, crash bars (and various bolts/washers) as well as a new ENGINE.

Imagine my dismay when this morning, while fixing a puncture, I saw the state of the final drive (pictured)

More arguments with the service department would be on the horizon were it not for the fact that (having caused so much naus) I have reasonable rapport with the MD... But It'll probably still be a fight!

Phill, my final drive looked same before I had it replaced. Complained about wheel corrosion and rear disc and it basically got rejected.

Just replaced a set of rear pads because although they were near the wear limit one suddenly delaminated and spat its pad material away from the steel backing plate, fortunately I managed to avoid metal to metal on the rear disk :eek:

Just replaced a set of rear pads because although they were near the wear limit one suddenly delaminated and spat its pad material away from the steel backing plate, fortunately I managed to avoid metal to metal on the rear disk :eek:

Must’ve been duff set....

Looks like when they replaced the disc they chewed up the retaining bolts

If I had the pads out and cleaned them, I`d bin em anyway and stick the new ones in.

If you were able to change them yersell, you could have checked them before forking out for new ones.

What a bloody mess those pictures are... Looks rotten. Mines still looks new in comparison and its done 11,000 miles.

Well I thought I would share this as a bit of a exercise.

My dealer back in March told me that by the time my GSA will reach 12k mile service, “it will be screaming” for a new set of rear pads. So here we are. Since I have a day of work, I decided I would service K&N air filter a clean before bike goes in for a service and would give a bike once over.

While filter drying after being washed, I pulled out new pads I purchased a few weeks back from a said dealer at a whopping discounted price of £66, ready to install them. To my surprise, well you lot can tell me and be a judge here.......

Bike mileage and riding mode I ride in 90% of the time.
103e3dd1ec0b4f7ce7a3f5a4c7c5886c.jpg

New pads still in the packet....
2b800a25414ad755efbb76d67f2351dd.jpg

Old pads I pulled out....
66dfbc5a9c2a8a7adc63531938e2035e.jpg

Gave them a little brush down and created out the grooves....
a94dc74576f53f0751aaef9d973c4e99.jpg

Now in my humble opinion, these will last me another 6k miles if not longer. It is recommended to change them when groves are no longer present, and these pads are only ⅔ of the way worn.

EV

2017 Rallye went in for its first year service, pads were reported dangerously low, got a set & started to fit them when tyres needed changing, anyway, dropped rear pads, had a look, compared them & refitted old ones, about 15% worn in 8k, not bad I’m thinking..
My 2014 Gs didn’t make it to 4K a few years back, obviously changed something..

If I had the pads out and cleaned them, I`d bin em anyway and stick the new ones in.

If you were able to change them yersell, you could have checked them before forking out for new ones.

Yes very true, but you would think someone who does their job for a living, would tell you truth, after all majority of us take things at face value. Be it dealers, doctors.....
I’ve learned from this and now know for the future.
Ps, why throw away if item is still perfectly functioning? It only takes 5-10 minutes to get them changed.

2017 Rallye went in for its first year service, pads were reported dangerously low, got a set & started to fit them when tyres needed changing, anyway, dropped rear pads, had a look, compared them & refitted old ones, about 15% worn in 8k, not bad I’m thinking..
My 2014 Gs didn’t make it to 4K a few years back, obviously changed something..

Obviously has.... but would you go with OEM or alternatives?

Even original parts can fail, one of these bmw original pads delaminated, and was spotted before metal to metal contact on the rear disc

Attachments

• Brake Pads Delaminated 1.jpg
    Brake Pads Delaminated 1.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 577
  • Brake Pads Delamininated 2.jpg
    Brake Pads Delamininated 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 565
+1 on above nothing is pefect today, I believe BMW get their pads from Brembo, but how many penny pinchers are in Brembo, its all about profit.

Even original parts can fail, one of these bmw original pads delaminated, and was spotted before metal to metal contact on the rear disc

Those pads are very strange as they are : A-black, B- no wear groves.

Pads I have in my GSA are on a copper? coloured backing plates with rear wheel site having an extra lining on the back face and a stainless steel backing plate.

Are those genuine BMW parts? Seem like they are but don’t look it....

Back
Top Bottom