Top Dead Centre Tool - 2017 R1200GS Adventure

Haha :D

Anyways, that's if we ever get that far.... Won't be touching those nuts until my tool is ready

Snap-on ring spanner torque adaptor on 21 day back order. Which will arrive first I wonder?

Elon Musk will be living on Mars growing potatoes before 83300444292 turns up !!

(Fuck, I know that number and can type it from memory now.....)

Snap-on ring spanner torque adaptor on 21 day back order. Which will arrive first I wonder?

Ok news from Germany is....

For the part 83302327790 (Alignment TDC Pin) BMW tells us, that it will come in week 6 of 2019 :D

For the part 83300444292 (Timing Chain Tensioner Assembly Kit) there isn't a delivery date available. :(

Ok news from Germany is....

For the part 83302327790 (Alignment TDC Pin) BMW tells us, that it will come in week 6 of 2019 :D

For the part 83300444292 (Timing Chain Tensioner Assembly Kit) there isn't a delivery date available. :(

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh Bugger!

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh Bugger!

Yep, it is....

I've tried TWELVE suppliers from all over the world... UK, Germany, Lithuania, Latvia, RUSSIA !!, USA......

Nobody has them in stock, and nobody can get hold of it. Orders and backorders are being cancelled !!

I'm even trying to seduce some BMW owners to sell me their used kit... but hands like clamps, they won't let go :D

BMW being twats over it :(

Just have to HOPE it comes back into production sometime this year.... :nenau

Or find another way to get the chain tension we need to do the rest of the work without that tool.....

Or find another way to get the chain tension we need to do the rest of the work without that tool.....
I wonder what it does that the normal tensioner doesn’t. If it’s to set a specific preload that is independent of any variables introduced by the chain itself then we’d need to find out what that is.

If we really need it to unsure the cams are aligned at TDC then what happens when the engine is running with the normal tensioner i.e. what is the acceptable tolerance of error from the datum set by the tool?

I wonder what it does that the normal tensioner doesn’t. If it’s to set a specific preload that is independent of any variables introduced by the chain itself then we’d need to find out what that is.

If we really need it to unsure the cams are aligned at TDC then what happens when the engine is running with the normal tensioner i.e. what is the acceptable tolerance of error from the datum set by the tool?

Maybe this info helps explain a few things.

https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2014/0702-cam-timing/

The engine cam chain tension is kept up by a combination of a built in spring load and engine oil pressure. Since the engine is not running, the chain is kept in tension by the spring only, and that is not enough tension when you readjust the cam position.

The engine cam chain tension is kept up by a combination of a built in spring load and engine oil pressure. Since the engine is not running, the chain is kept in tension by the spring only, and that is not enough tension when you readjust the cam position.

Any news from your dealer in Norway has he confirmed that they can actually get the tool.

Any news from your dealer in Norway has he confirmed that they can actually get the tool.

I am to go there next week, so Ill ask them. However, they do order the tools from Germany, so I guess we all can predict the answer. :beerjug:

I am to go there next week, so Ill ask them. However, they do order the tools from Germany, so I guess we all can predict the answer. :beerjug:

Yep, you will see, the will say no problem 2 weeks, and then another 2 weeks, until Christmas................:beerjug:

So the tool uses a spring to set the tension and is set by putting three clicks on. Therefore I assume that there is a torque value involved. If we knew what that is we could presumably subtitute a bolt and torque it againt the cam chain rather than the shoulder of the hole...........

So the tool uses a spring to set the tension and is set by putting three clicks on. Therefore I assume that there is a torque value involved. If we knew what that is we could presumably subtitute a bolt and torque it againt the cam chain rather than the shoulder of the hole...........

I think this is a tool that may easily be substituted by a DIY project, based on a screw with the proper threads, drill a center hole and make threads for a smaler bolt in the center that may be adjusted as a tensioner. I think that as long as the chain is tightened to where it will not move due to lack of tension the purpose has been served. After all, the chain will not rotate while the tool is applied, so , this should be easy to eyeball without causing any damage.
If I where to keep my 1200LC it would be very tempting to give it a shot...

Back
Top Bottom