How hot does a 1290 Adventure get?

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
I hear on the grapevine that it generates unbearable amounts of heat in 30C plus temperatures - anyone have experience of this? - it’s on my possible GS alternative list in the future, but have been warned that they produce ridiculous amounts of heat in Southern European summers, to the point they become almost unrideable?

I would characterise that as a significant exaggeration.

They do generate some heat (as all bikes do) and in 30 degrees you are aware of it on the back of your legs when moving slowly in traffic.

But it is not anywhere near making the bike unrideable and can be mitigated by fitting an insulated rear downpipe.
I have not felt the need to do this as I don't think it's that big a deal (having covered 10K miles in all temps up to mid 30s).

I would absolutely not be put off by these reports.

The same was said about the 1190 and I never found it a problem. Apparently the same heat issue affects the 1290 GT that I own now and again, I’ve never found it to be a problem and I did ride my 1190 in temperatures hovering around the mid 30s.

Nutty & I were recently in Europe in temps of 28 - 41 degrees, and never once did I feel uncomfortable due to heat created by the engine.

I couldn't cool down effectively (but thank god for rukka air suit & alot of ice in my camelbak) as it was like riding into a hair dryer on the hot setting most of the time, but that was due to the air temp, not the heat created by the engine.

I do have an insulated rear downpipe which does mitigate some of the heat (as SPL has stated).

Don't be put off....they're great bikes & loads of fun :thumb2

Rode mine back from Spain and it was 35degs c. Not an issue at all . Fan came on once in town.

Sold it anyway just to be safe 🤪

From the test rides I have taken I can't say that I have had any issues. The airflow is not so much restricted when moving. Only when at a standstill there is a wee noticeable warmness on the inside of the leg. The GSA on the other hand I can feel when riding but the Mudsling exaggerates this issue due to the way it influences the airflow underneath the seat.

Why the possible change if I may ask?

It can only be because he knows that WC owners are complete and utter dicks whereas KTM owners are nice, friendly people :hippy

I was discussing alternative bikes to the GS here in Rencurel. I suggested that 1290 Adventure was a maybe possible alternative for me after 5 1200GSes. Jean-Francois said that he has had several hotel guests this summer with the 1290 and they had all complained about the excessive heat generated once the ambient temperature gets into the 30s. So just trying to get opinions because it’s not practical gauge this issue in the U.K.

From the test rides I have taken I can't say that I have had any issues. The airflow is not so much restricted when moving. Only when at a standstill there is a wee noticeable warmness on the inside of the leg. The GSA on the other hand I can feel when riding but the Mudsling exaggerates this issue due to the way it influences the airflow underneath the seat.

Why the possible change if I may ask?

We were just discussing bikes in general and this issue came up.

As Keith said, it hit 41 degrees on our trip a couple of weeks ago, and the heat from the bike was barely noticeable.

But don’t buy one, you’ll hate it. ;)

These KTM riders sound like a bunch of pussies.

If its 35C its gonna be hot on any bike.

I'm not aware my KTM is any worse in this respect and any other.

Certainly a lot better than a Dyna where the heat on my right leg has actually burnt the hairs off.

Why are you bothered? You're plenty used to hot air :D

Back
Top Bottom