New 1250 heads...

Boxerlust

Reaction score
...on german MOTORRAD side they ran an article that second what was said on Bennets.
84 cc more,+11hp/15nm but unlike the alphatechnik VV-L as in variable valve timing and lift without throttle plate like a diesel a schaltnockenwelle instead ! Which means 2 cam-profiles on the intake side...like VW or Audi uses.One cam profile for lower rpm levels to appease the EU-5 monkeys in Bruessels for max TORQUE and then a hotter one for max power at higher rpm levels...which would be a completely different and less complex system than the one displayed by alphatechnik that made 145 hp from 1170cc on the 17 inch wheel R1200GS test mule...
Which makes me wonder if the 136hp number out of 1254cc contemplated by Ben Purvis is wrong !
Especially if you compare the 136 hp / 140 NM numbers with another german naturally aspirated boxer engine from the Porsche 911 GT3RS that has 3996 cc and makes 520 hp at 8200 rpm and more than 460 nm torque from 5200 rpm on peaking out at 475 nm at 6200 rpm...translated to 2 cylinders that would mean around 170hp / 155nm torque for the R 1330 GS...:thumb
Taking roughly 10% displacement out out that would translate into 155 hp and 140 NM torque which would be totally acceptable for the new R 1250 GS...:thumby:

It all means nothing parked at Starbucks

The WC "technical" section is finally being modded as it should - well done to whoever is doing it and please feel free to delete this post :beerjug:

Forum: 1200 GS Watercooled
Info, photo's, tech talk etc.

The WC "technical" section is finally being modded as it should - well done to whoever is doing it and please feel free to delete this post :beerjug:

Quite, that other horse shit thread should have been nuked ages ago.

This post will self destruct in __ seconds.

Who is the hangman..........make yourself known.

I reserve the right to call a post comparing the specific output of a yet to be revealed motorcycle engine to that of a high performance car engine..........for what it is.

Sent from a U11

Absolutely not.

(into the headmasters office and had my hand slapped)

Point taken.

I'll just get my coat.

Sent from a U11

The usual suspects...Nothing to say just start shite...again...:(
B.t.w. I'm not James May but have been called worse...;)
I just found it interesting that the biggest moto-mag had the story about the cam system that has 2 cam-lobes on the intake side,one for lower rpm and max Torque and one for max hp which changes lobes depending on rpm...and not the more complex fully variable,timing and lift non throttle plate system on the VV-L alphatechnik test mule.
As also comparing 2 naturally aspirated LC boxer engines that except for D.I. have the same features.
One from Porsche the other from BMW...if the numbers are true BMW kept the output very conservative with lot's of room for the rumored R 1250 S...as the engine made by Porsche would make 170hp/155nm torque...:thumb

Smogbob just look at a valve train of a new VW/Audi/Porsche engine that has 2 different cam-lobes that actuate the valves depending on rpm range and compare that with the more complex and ingenious alphatechnik VV-L system on their 17 inch wheel R1200GS.Your head will stop spinning immediately...:)
It will be interesting to see when they finally reveal the bike with hopefully closer to Porsches hp numbers...if the 911 had 2 cylinders of course...;)

Smogbob just look at a valve train of a new VW/Audi/Porsche engine that has 2 different cam-lobes that actuate the valves depending on rpm range and compare that with the more complex and ingenious alphatechnik VV-L system on their 17 inch wheel R1200GS.Your head will stop spinning immediately...:)
It will be interesting to see when they finally reveal the bike with hopefully closer to Porsches hp numbers...if the 911 had 2 cylinders of course...;)
What the fuck are you on about ????

Tyzer the answer is very easy...looks like the 1250 GS gets completely different heads than the ones engineered by alphatechnik !
Thus the lower hp output 136 out of 1254 cc compared to 145 out of 1170 cc while torque seem the same at 140 nm.But still way lower than Porsche gets out of their 911GT3RS which would make around 170hp/155nm torque calculated down to 2 cylinders...
Looks like the 1250 engine is already EU-5 spec which takes a toll on peak hp and engine sound...:(
Brexit or the dissolution of the EU can't come early enough...:thumb2
Back to EU-3 where bikes were clean enough had good power without running too lean and still sounded like motorcycles...as EU-4 was already one step too far in the wrong direction.
They should save the rain forest instead if the would really care about the environment...

No I just compare the specific outputs of 2 modern boxer engines that except for D.I. have pretty much the same design...not that you would understand as only orange plastic and funny advertising slogans make bikes fast...:D
But remember even the fastest bike is only as fast as the rider...even if it is ready to race it doesn't mean the rider is...;)
But here we just talk/speculate about the valvetrain of the new GS and compare it with the one in the 911 GT3RS which is currently the finest specimen of naturally aspirated engine design of course brought down to 2 cylinders and 1250 cc you clown !
Even your KTM would only make 450 hp and 420 nm of torque if it had 6 cylinders...:comfort

This is a great thread for the technically illiterate :thumb2

BTW, which GT3RS or it would be of greater help if you can tell the rest of UKGSer which engine code you are referring to?

The latest GT3RS...2018/4.0/520hp...actually 519hp/8100 rpm 475nm/6200rpm on sport-auto dyno 3996 cc which would translate to 1332 cc / 173 hp / 158nm if it was a boxer twin.
Brought down to 1254 cc it would roughly make 163 hp/149 nm !
Less than a 1299 Panigale but also no need to rev to 10000 rpm and more torque !
Roughly 5 hp more than a 1290 KTM that stay 10-15 below advertised hp levels and also more torque.
I think 136 hp is wrong even if Ben Purvis might have gotten the rest right...otherwise thank Brussels for EU-5 as the current engine is already good for 145 hp as last years Wunderlich R1200R Pikes Peak racer already made.

Back
Top Bottom