Upgrade from F700GS...

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I've previously owned a 2003 R1150GS and a 2005 R1200GS (both owned from new). Since then I've had a 650 single and my current 2nd bike, an F700GS (both secondhand).

I now have the opportunity to buy another "big" GS. I'm going to be clocking up some commuting miles over the next three years (150 mile round trip, 3 days a week). Add in some leisure riding, and we're looking at 10,000 miles year on this bike. The K1600 will still be the tool of choice for touring.

So, do I buy:-

1. A year old, low mileage 1200GS LC, maybe ex-demo (which is how I bought the 700GS and the K1600)
2. A brand new 1200GS
3. Wait for a 1250GS

Any views?

If I were looking at (3x150) 450 miles a week commuting (I make that 23,400 a year based on 52 weeks’ worth) which is a chore not a pleasure, I wouldn’t be in any hurry to buy a new GS.

Look at something secondhand from Honda or Yamaha, chain driven (put an oiler on it) and economical or one of the maxi-scooter things.

I was doing similar last year with the benefit of the bike being parked outside next to the sea.
No point bolloxing a good bike so I bought a solid Deauville for 1100 quid - which does the job perfectly.
I'm sure a 15k GS will be (nearly) as good.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

20k a year will balls up your residual on a new/nearly new.
As you have a K16 for the fun days (which you could swop on a PCP) why not an early Pan for say £3k to carry out the commute?

Thanks for comments.

One option is a Honda NC750 and, as luck would have it, there's a second hand VERY low mileage one at local dealers. That makes a lot of sense. Might need to go and have a test ride to see how it feels... especially as it's an auto.

Of course, what makes most sense is keeping the F700GS. It's been faultlessly reliable and only needed consumables in the five years and around 16,000 miles I've had it. it needs a service, new tyres and new chain and sprocket. But all that would cost a grand maximum.

If weather gets to be an issue, I'll take the car. Journey takes longer because I can't filter, especially the drag between the M25 and Croydon, and I'll have to pay for car parking in Croydon whereas bike is free in secure work car park. But fuel costs aren't that different if I drive in a restrained manner (it's diesel).

But all the above misses the opportunity to buy a new bike that might actually be fun!

Are we allowed to say we wouldn’t buy a new GS? :D

Much as I detest Hondas they do make some bikes that rack up astronomical mileage without major issues so I’d go for an NC750X and just ride wearing a balaclava with only a slit to look out of so nobody knew it was me.

Press the 700 back into service or as others have suggested get something cheap secondhand that's suited to the role of fairly long distance commuter.

No point running a decent new bike up to higher mileages on a commute on what sounds like a faiirly mundane route IMHO of course.

Thanks for comments.

One option is a Honda NC750 and, as luck would have it, there's a second hand VERY low mileage one at local dealers. That makes a lot of sense. Might need to go and have a test ride to see how it feels... especially as it's an auto.

Of course, what makes most sense is keeping the F700GS. It's been faultlessly reliable and only needed consumables in the five years and around 16,000 miles I've had it. it needs a service, new tyres and new chain and sprocket. But all that would cost a grand maximum.

If weather gets to be an issue, I'll take the car. Journey takes longer because I can't filter, especially the drag between the M25 and Croydon, and I'll have to pay for car parking in Croydon whereas bike is free in secure work car park. But fuel costs aren't that different if I drive in a restrained manner (it's diesel).

But all the above misses the opportunity to buy a new bike that might actually be fun!

A grand ?
£250 for tyres
£150 for C&S
£300 for a service at an indie

Play nicely...

A grand was the most it would be, allowing for some unexpected things to need replacing. I'm coming round to the this idea, and maybe buying a cheaper secondhand bike for fun. Or upgrading the car.

Sat on the Honda NC750S - surprisingly cramped legroom and with my dodgy knees, that's a non-starter.

Test ride on the NC750X - much nicer riding position. The bike was unexciting but not terminally so. The dual clutch auto gearbox was surprisingly easy to get used to and gearchanges themselves are very smooth, especially changing up. But in 'drive' it just rushes to get into too high a gear, and changing down when you open the throttle takes a second or two (not the actual gearchange which is virtually instant, but the decision making process). In the 'sport' modes it's a bit better. But it's solving a problem that I don't think exists in the first place. So thanks, but no thanks. (A decision not helped by the fact that the dealer wouldn't take my F700GS in part exchange.)

Next to BMW dealer to look at an ex-demo 1200GS with all the toys and extras. Bit it's very expensive (£15k+) and I can't help thinking that in three years time with 50,000 miles on it, selling at a good price will be very difficult when there are hundreds of similar age and spec bikes with 6,000 Tesco and weekend ride-out miles on the clock. Also, with one of the benefits of commuting on bike being able to skip through traffic, a 1200 isn't quite as easy to thread through the gaps. So that's another no, I think. The positive side was that they made a decent p-ex offer on my bike (considering it needs tyres, chain and sprockets, a full service and some bodywork replacing following a pheasant incident a couple of years ago).

As I was leaving, I noticed a brand new F750GS Sport for £11k. Good spec as well. With the p-ex offer for my bike, that becomes affordable. Three year manufacturer's warranty too. So that becomes a real potential option.

But favourite option - especially with SWMBO - is spend a bit to tart up the F700GS and keep that for commuting. Given that the commute will never really be fun all it needs is competence - something the F700 undoubtedly has with (so far) 100% reliability, 70+mpg, nice and easy to ride. So unless I change my mind I don't think I'll be changing bikes in the short term after all.

But that 750 was very nice...

"But favourite option - especially with SWMBO - is spend a bit to tart up the F700GS and keep that for commuting. Given that the commute will never really be fun all it needs is competence - something the F700 undoubtedly has with (so far) 100% reliability, 70+mpg, nice and easy to ride. So unless I change my mind I don't think I'll be changing bikes in the short term after all. "

Now you are starting to make sense, forget about tarting it up, the valves can wait another year. It's now no longer a nice clean pampered leisure toy, it's just a tool to do a job. Change your mindset to the latter & you'll be fine, if the former and you are in for a life of worry and pain.

Get the basics right, lather it with acf/waxoil or whatever, don't bother cleaning it (making it look nice is of no significance) & you are good to go.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Decision made - the F700GS stays! Booked in for its last dealer service later this month (because it's the valve check and, i think, full brake fluid replacement). It'll be home serviced after that. Also new tyres and chain and sprockets. I could easily do the chain and sprockets myself but I'm lazy.

It has always been more a tool rather than a toy, though I have enjoyed riding it for fun. It will now become solely a commuting tool and I can't imagine I'll want to spend much leisure time on it. I may consider some seat improvement - after each one way trip my bum is very uncomfortable. The standard seat is too narrow.

Decision made - the F700GS stays! Booked in for its last dealer service later this month (because it's the valve check and, i think, full brake fluid replacement). It'll be home serviced after that. Also new tyres and chain and sprockets. I could easily do the chain and sprockets myself but I'm lazy.

It has always been more a tool rather than a toy, though I have enjoyed riding it for fun. It will now become solely a commuting tool and I can't imagine I'll want to spend much leisure time on it. I may consider some seat improvement - after each one way trip my bum is very uncomfortable. The standard seat is too narrow.

Great little bike, very underestimated imo....
Had one & fitted a Puig screen, crash bars & the expensive BMW comfort seat, a cheap set of aux lights & its a game changer & usable most of the year round. The crash bars were Hepco Becker
Good luck.

But favourite option - especially with SWMBO - is spend a bit to tart up the F700GS and keep that for commuting. Given that the commute will never really be fun all it needs is competence - something the F700 undoubtedly has with (so far) 100% reliability, 70+mpg, nice and easy to ride. So unless I change my mind I don't think I'll be changing bikes in the short term after all.

Have you been hanging out with JB lately? :D

He’ll be proud! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom