TKC 80 tyres on Urban G/S

Afmuir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve signed up for an Urban G/S X and it comes with the TKC 80 knobbly tyres. Given the time of year and my plan to use this bike pretty much daily through wet and dry, and near always on tarmac, I’m a bit worried about what the tyres will be like in the wet.
Anyone with experience of these let me know what they think?
Thanks.

If you only have experience of road tyres you won’t much like tkc 80.
They do grip,but you need to be gentle with them and load the front gradually.
Don’t worry too much though as they will wear out in no time:D

Took a scrambler out in the wet with the TKC tyres for a test ride and brought it straight back before I put it down the road. Just bought a T Urban and specced it with the road tyres which are a no cost option. Speak to the dealer and ask him to change them.

hmm, think I might get the Metzeler fitted instead. The bike is coming with TKC80s anyway so could try and sell them on - brand new delivery miles, anyone interested?

I have the TKCs on mine and love them, great fun in the dry and handle extremely well for the type of tyre they are. Not so great in the wet but i like them and prefer the look of them over any other tyre for the UGS..Main downside for me is the speed at which they wear out, luck if i get 2k miles out of the rear on mine...

I've had an 06 GSA and a T100 Bonneville on TKC80's and to be honest I thought/think they handled OK

My R-Nine T Scrambler fitted with Karoo 3's on the other hand took much more getting used to

It would turn in to a corner then suddenly drop in quick. Almost like you were about to drop the bike on its side :eek:

The TKC70’s are a fantastic all round tyre. Can’t wait for these crappy annakee’s to wear out so I can put them on this bike.

I have had TKC80s on my GS and Karoos on my Scrambler - only issue I had with either was that Karoos made bike tip into corners early, both fine in wet when you get used to them (although get lots of girl’s blouses who are only used to road tyre saying how bad they are :D).
TKCs lasted twice as long as Karoos, but Scrambler looks right with Karoos on it :thumb

hmm, think I might get the Metzeler fitted instead. The bike is coming with TKC80s anyway so could try and sell them on - brand new delivery miles, anyone interested?
I’d be interested if you do change them

....ran TKC’s on my 1150 year round, the tyres are fine the initial concerns are all in your head - Keep them on and enjoy breaking through that fear barrier

....ran TKC’s on my 1150 year round, the tyres are fine the initial concerns are all in your head - Keep them on and enjoy breaking through that fear barrier

I have them on my Turban, they’re great tyres once you lose the fear element.. I agree, keep them on & give them a chance

Was out and about in the rain on my TKC80 shod Urban X in the week. Back end slipped a few times pulling away from junctions, provoking it leaving a roundabout the traction control kicked in for quite a distance. Last bike's I owned using TKC80's were an XT660Z Tenere and a 990 Adv - neither ever slipped on tarmac. Can't work out if the spinning up is due to more power or the suspect rear shock. Whatever it demands a careful right hand when damp

I also got caught in the rain today, its got nothing to do with the shock. I've just fitted a Wilber 640 on the back and span the wheel pulling off at a set of lights, and also had the traction control flashing a couple of times

I also got caught in the rain today, its got nothing to do with the shock. I've just fitted a Wilber 640 on the back and span the wheel pulling off at a set of lights, and also had the traction control flashing a couple of times

It gets your attention when turning left or right that's for sure :eek:

How's the Wilbers shock? I'm going to buy one once funds allow..

Back
Top Bottom