08 1200GS - while swingarm is off, what other maintenance should I do?

NicD

Reaction score
Gearbox output seal? Looks in pretty good shape, but still may be worth it. Other? Thoughts appreciated, thanks

Service shock? 40k miles on bike. Shock seems fine but have been told they all leak sooner or later. If so, may be best to have it done now while off the bike?

I sent my shock off to MCT in Stowmarket for a refurb at 36k, it was well soggy.

Check your driveshaft spider joints at both ends for any notchy feeling, the needles only articulate through a small angle and can wear and/or corrode. Mikeyboy can rebuild them, you are talking lots of money for a new shaft from BMW. Check the splined input pinion of the final drive unit for side play, again the bearings wear and mikeyboy can rebuild them.

Thanks. Did the shock service make a big difference? Revalved as well? And front serviced too, or just rear? Have used MCT in the past for another bike

UJs are in need of replacement. Planning on sending to Mike. Just want to know what issue is as per post on driveshaft

Yes, my ESA shock service with MCT was about £99 each plus Vat and postage. The rear one was leaking damping fluid, my front was like a pogo stick. The front shock is a bit of a pain to remove from the front subframe. With the rear shock, be sure to label the bolts for top and bottom on removal, its easy to put the wrong one in the wrong hole and chew up the swingarm threads as they look similar but aren't, DAMHIK.

When they stripped the front ESA shock down they discovered an internal bush had collapsed and there was no fluid in the shock. It cost me about an extra £15 for them to make, press in and ream a new bush to size then rebuild.

Turnaround was just a few days, great service from them.

It probably makes sense to have it serviced. When the other one came back from them it was transformed. It's starting to get expensive though so may end up leaving this to do front and rear together another time

Don't forget to use lots of heat on the lower shock bolt to soften the thread lock. They can strip threads if forced out cold.

Answer: replace swingarm bearings (were dead), replace gearbox boot (had small split), replace driveshaft (cush dead and UJs knackered), clean shock, clean inside swingarm, clean rear of gearbox while have access, replace exhaust hanger bolt that was missing, remove & clean & refit right footrest and footbrake assembly, replace rear caliper seals and pistons, clean up silencer clamp & bolt which was badly rusted.

Answer: replace swingarm bearings (were dead), replace gearbox boot (had small split), replace driveshaft (cush dead and UJs knackered), clean shock, clean inside swingarm, clean rear of gearbox while have access, replace exhaust hanger bolt that was missing, remove & clean & refit right footrest and footbrake assembly, replace rear caliper seals and pistons, clean up silencer clamp & bolt which was badly rusted.

Don't forget to strip and grease the needle roller Paralever bearings under the final drive.

Check rear frame for rust where dirt collects and anywhere that can suffer stone chipping.

Back
Top Bottom